2013 Betas

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Gordy, Aug 8, 2012.

1. grizzzly

grizzzly The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer:
    sooo you feeling ok, are you going to be able to make it through a full day of work tomorrow
  2. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    :lol3. I have to! 3 days of work then going to Utah:clap
  3. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    It's about time that beast showed up! Beautiful looking bike! Now get out of my class... :bluduh

:lol3
  4. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    We are on the same page as I was thinking that you would be moving up next year! :rofl
  5. joe cool

joe cool Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you finally got your new Beta:freakybetter take a lot of pics now as they don't stay like that to long:wink:
  6. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    No kidding, I came real close to crashing it right away in the driveway. :uhoh

:lol3
  7. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    I havent looked so excuse me bing web lazy, but who or what brand of brakes does Beta use?
  8. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Enjoy the new bike Gordy. Looks very nice - Has its Italian curves back!
  9. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    :dunno right off hand. I press the levers, it stops! :rofl
    They are burning in a bit and with the little time that I had on it, they are getting tighter.

Unfortunately, this is some bad timing for me to ride the bike more, jet (and re-jet) and adjust things more. I am leaving town for some Utah single track in a few days so can't ride the bike much more until the event in a few weeks. :uhoh
  10. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beta = Grimeca Hydraulics.
  11. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    Don't tell me you are headed to where the "5 Miles of hell" trail is? My dad & I have been wanting to go there, but it would be with trials bikes only, as that is all I have (unless you count 2 reflexes, and a moped or 2).
  12. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    :D. On dirt bikes. A trials bike would be cheating.
  13. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    I'm OK with cheating! :deal
  14. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    :lol3. It's not so bad. Old guys do it! :uhoh
  15. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Okay Gordy you have had the bike long enough, spill the beans on the likes and dislikes!:evil
  16. AteamNM

AteamNM Wonna Be ADVrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey there uncle Gordy. Your bike is ballin'. Yea Italian curves look sexy. But keep in mind, they all look the same upside down.
  17. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Still getting used to it, but overall, I think it rocks!

I have only had a few trials bikes and have only ridden a few others so my review is very limited.

The fit and overall build quality is outstanding.

The bike seems to balance much better than my GasGas. I don't know why, but stationary balance and overall balance is excellent.

The TRP shock is incredible.
    http://www.americanbeta.com/node/760
    They set it up for my weight and how I told them I ride and it works great. I haven't adjusted anything on it yet.
    It soaks up the little trash and drop offs are soft. It seems to find traction on choppy ups real well too, but that could be the overall bike. :scratch

The turning radius is ridiculous. If there is any front wheel traction, and you can turn the bars full lock, it will turn tighter than anything that I have ridden. In soft conditions, the over-center steering stops will allow the front to tuck but that is entirely up to the rider. The Beta should improve scores if for no other reason than this.

The motor is really nice. I have only dropped the needle and the jetting seems to be close. I want to try some different pilots to see how that affects the bottom but it is pretty damn close right now. No complaints.
    It has a nice quick (but linear) hit off of the bottom and a powerfull, torquey pull into the mid-range. I think it is much better for my riding than the GasGas 280 that I am coming off of.
    Lots of compression and the left hand kick-start was kicking my ass for a while. I am getting more used to it and can now start it with either the left foot or by getting of and using my right foot. I used to think that the left hand kickstart would be a deal breaker for me, but it really is not bad at all.
    Try starting a 400 CZ. :rofl

No leaks or drips. The Kehein carb works nice and doesn't leak or weep. :clap

The clutch; I went for the up-graded clutch and it is pretty sweet. It has a much harder lever action than I am used to but I think that is part of the deal. It feels very consistent, has great feel and will snap when you want it to. The stiff lever action is taking some time to get used to though.

The forks; They seem to be very good. I went up one on the fork springs, (I weigh right at 180#). Action is very lively but plush on big hits. I am using the full stroke so I believe that the spring selection is good.

Overall, the suspension is tight but plush. It has a very comfortable ride. Loops are way more enjoyable. :D

If I was a better rider, I could give a better review, but I hope this gives you an idea of what I am experiencing so far.
  18. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it sure felt like a solid Beta when I rode it!! Nice:D:D:D. Clutch was not too hard for me, but pretty darn quick!
  19. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Your Beta is nice. Thanks for letting me try it last Sunday.

I would.....ALMOST consider getting one over a new Montesa. Super sweet bike, available here to boot. Good thing I can't afford a new scoot........ :lol3
  20. tilliejacques

tilliejacques gnarly girl Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank heavens B doesn't read ADVrider :lol3

well, at least an official sandbagger like B doesn't need to improve scores...does he??? :dunno oh wait, he's a guy :rofl

Glad you like your new ride Gordy! :thumb

cheers