Triumph Scrambler

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by danger_dave, May 29, 2006.

1. B02S4

B02S4 Aye

Oddometer:

Maybe, maybe not. Until the battery is load tested neither you nor the OP can rule that out.

EFI bikes don't have a CDI.

If it is an EFI bike & the battery load tests OK then I would check each and every electrical connection related to ignition, including safety/interlock switches.

The bike is not posessed. There is a reason.
  2. Jholmes105

Jholmes105 GORIDE

Oddometer:
    OK, finally scored a good deal on a new Arrow 2-1 for my 2006 Scram! I plan to install and want to do the AI removal all at same time. Will I need to rejet the carb? Any suggestions for what else to do during this install of the Arrow? Any tricks to install?

Scrambler before the install!

[​IMG]

Thanks
  3. vonfink13

vonfink13 2013 Scrambler

Oddometer:
    the baffles came out today...the bike sounds way better... [​IMG]
  4. Mastodon

Mastodon Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer:
    Alright, came home from my trip on friday, and my battery had barely dropped from where it was when I left it on Monday. 13.22V down to 12.95V. Plugged it back in, did some testing to look for current draws, and couldn't find anything. But while I was gone, I ordered a new regulator, one of the efficient MOSFET types. After all, if I spend a good portion of my time stopped at traffic lights, and my stock r/r is only putting out 12.5V, then my battery is draining itself while I'm stopped to a point below the 12.6 ECU cutoff. Spent this morning swapping out the parts, and went out for a test. (It was also a chance to break in the Tourances I had mounted yesterday too.) I left home with my battery at 12.78V, came home about 50 miles and just shy of two hours later, and my battery was sitting at 13.32V. This is the first time I can remember seeing my battery higher after shutting off the bike. Hopefully this means I wont have to precharge the battery before each ride, or short out the starter solenoid for a start anymore.

With this problem fixed, time to think about farkles. Up next is a baffelectomy and blackened heat shields. Then maybe a Metal Mule rack system and Kriega panniers. At the very least, I just plan on riding more. 6000 miles in 3 years is too few. I'm want at least that many miles this year alone
  5. B02S4

B02S4 Aye

Oddometer:

Great, which one?
  6. Rockman

Rockman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Scram has had this problem since new (2010). It seems to be temperature related. The battery will hold its charge for weeks without use in warm weather (say +20 deg c) but loses it over night in cold weather. I havent found a practical solution yet other than putting it in a shed overnight in winter, or putting a trickle charger on it.
  7. Graniteone

Graniteone 3,2,1...Beer me! Supporter

Oddometer:
    A pic from my ride yesterday and a pic from blacking out the chrome front turn stems. Need to ditch the front brake reservoir. Looks like a urine sample on my handle bars. Thinking one of the Rizoma would look good.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. b0rderman

b0rderman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    next time i go riding in january i'll be sure to make it back before nightfall...burrrrrrr
    [​IMG]
    (by the way: that damn BC LED taillight is already more than half burned-out, only ~3k miles on it)
  9. O-Man

O-Man Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry Grani---, but the dual headlite setup does nothing for the Scramblers looks.:eek1u
  10. tvscum

tvscum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. Graniteone

Graniteone 3,2,1...Beer me! Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. Mastodon

Oddometer:
    Went with the one from http://roadstercycle.com/. You'll have to modify it just a little if you want to place it in the stock location, since its a little narrower, and a little taller than the OEM one, but looks ok enough. There might be able to find a better place to put it, but I wanted to ride today while it was still nice out so I hurried the job a little.

Ya know, when it lost that .5V in those 6 hours, it was around freezing here. When the weather's nice it has usually been better. Tuesday should have a high of 23 deg F so we'll see if it'll start then, and how well it holds.
  13. nofate

nofate what blackflies?

Oddometer:
    +1

Everyone's tastes are different, but a big reason most of us are drawn to the Scrambler are it's old English bike styling. I dont drive much at night, but I'd like to improve the bike's headlight by installing a 7" bucket with a brighter bulb and improved reflector. This would retain the styling and improve lighting.
  14. Mastodon

Oddometer:
    Why is it that every time I say "I'm gonna paint my heat shields black", I go to the store, find the can of high temp paint, but can never bring myself to buy it?
  15. Boola-Boola

Boola-Boola Scramblin' Man

Oddometer:
    Mebbe cuz, er, they look nice the way they are? :1drink
  16. vonfink13

vonfink13 2013 Scrambler

Oddometer:
    personally..i think they look awesome black...but for me..i gotta do the mufflers too...dont like the chrome peeking out behind the shields...if i end up not liking em in black..there are always a set or two on ebay or i will just have to get me some arrows.....mine are getting sandblasted this week and powdercoated next week...
  17. Mastodon

Oddometer:
    Decided to do a bafflectomy today. When I did my ride yesterday, I noticed that the sound of the wind noise was louder than the sound of my bike. I don't necessarily believe in the "Loud Pipes Save Lives" mentality, but I should at least be able to hear my own bike. Especially when the only gauge on that bike is a speedometer. How can I tell if there's something wrong with my bike if I can't hear how it runs?

Ok, so it might look a little bit cleaner if the baffles stay in...
    [​IMG]

...but it sounds a little bit throatier with them removed. Less like a sewing machine and more like a motorcycle.
    <object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iPoVJkWtLTo?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iPoVJkWtLTo?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

On some of the older scramblers, the two-toned ones with the silver engine cases, I like the chrome pipes. On the single colored ones, with the black cases, I almost think the chrome is a little too much, and that the blackened shields would tone it down a little. I actually do like the chrome peeking through. I think it gives it a little contrast, but without being overwhelming.
  18. vonfink13

vonfink13 2013 Scrambler

Oddometer:
    to each his own...that is what makes all this stuff so much fun...every person puts a bit of their personality into their bike...its all good...one thing we can definitely agree on is that those pipes sound awesome once you get those baffles out...great video...thanks for posting it...
  19. Boola-Boola

Boola-Boola Scramblin' Man

Oddometer:
    Have to agree on there being a little too much chrome...
    I have the two-tone white/red with black engine. Love the pipes in chrome but figured that, on aggregate (tail lamp shell, indicators, exhausts), there was a bit too much chrome on the pretty side for my taste. Replacing the stock front and rear indicators with smaller black ones reduced it enough for me - whilst leaving the exhausts as the 'main feature' chrome-wise. SUbsequently fitted black mirrors too and found the overall chrome tally pretty much spot on for me.

Hey - we all like 'em a little different - that's part of the mighty fine fun of it all.
  20. Mastodon

Oddometer:
    If you've replaced all of those things with black parts, then yeah, I'd think that'd be a decent solution too. But $10 for a can of high temp Rustoleum is a little bit cheaper than replacing a bunch of individual parts.

There needs to be chrome somewhere on the bike, or at least something for contrast. Going overboard with blacking out these bikes kinda ruins the appeal of them to me...
    http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12849764&postcount=8967