Bike Cover

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Spaggy, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Spaggy

Spaggy Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, you're all packed up for your Alaska trip and probably have too much crap already. Do you throw in a bike cover thinking, out of sight, out of mind, or leave it at home?
  2. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    I believe the out-of-sight-out-of-mind theory, but I don't have any evidence to back it up. Maybe it works, and maybe it doesn't. I believe it will probably keep kids from climbing on your bike. It will probably keep adults from sitting on your bike, or messing with it out of curiosity. It might deter an opportunistic thief. I probably won't deter a determined thief.
  3. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    1 more vote for OOS-OOM.

Plus, it saves time wiping down the dew/frost most cold mornings!

[​IMG]

:D
  4. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most definitely yes. Anything that will make the thief´s work even a bit harder will affect the chances, that the thief will go somewhere else, and leave your bike alone.

The occasional crackheads, that are just looking for anything to steal, you can prevent with a sturdy disc lock (also recommended), and professionals use vans to lift your bike inside, the disc lock is no use against those guys. But most likely even the pros will have to approach your bike first, to simply lift the cover, and have a look what´s inside, (because they don´t just drive around to find something to steal, they´re looking for some specific bike types or models). They don´t like the idea to have to come near your bike, before they can make the decision to steal it or leave it.

Exactly where you park the bike for the night is also important, when thinking about how to keep the pro guys away. How easy is it to drive a van next to your bike? That´s why keeping it on a street, or on a public parking hall is not a good idea, if you can avoid doing so.
  5. wfopete

wfopete Suffer Fools; Gladly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes. Not a bike specific cover but the more utilitarian tarp. Tarps can be quite versatile on the road & trail. Tarps can protect more than the bike and I've even used them for patching materail when in a bind.
  6. misterjack

misterjack Universal

Oddometer:
    wouldnt hurt
  7. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    I believe Pecha72 is right about the importance of where to park your bike. If staying in a hotel, see if you can't park it under the portico in front of the office. It's usually well-lit and often the drive is wide enough that you're not blocking traffic. Ask the night guy to keep an eye on your bike, too.

I worked the night shift in hotels for a lot of years, and I'd often have bikers ask me if they could park under the portico, and also watch their bikes. I was always glad to do it.
  8. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is interesting, I've traveled 100's of thousands of miles and never covered a bike.<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> :huh </v:shapetype>Just scrape/wipe the frost/dew off. As for as theft, I just thought they only stole HD’s and sport bikes. Never had a bike messed with in all my years. I do carry a tarp, for roadside repairs and whatever. From reading all the post maybe I should cover it, there are some interesting replies. My friend with a HD covers it with a Honda cover so people won’t steal it,:rofl.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  9. OrangeYZ

OrangeYZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it" is how you end up with a motorcycle that weighs more than a car.
  10. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    We're all just hedging our bets against an unlikely outcome. But it's a simple thing to do, to cover my bike every night.

:rofl:rofl:rofl

Now that's funny!!!
  11. ParaMud

ParaMud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh just use a tarp? Never thought of that. I use a tarp as my tent foot print. So its on the bike anyways. No need to carry a tarp and a bike cover.
  12. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    A tarp with grommets works well, also. A couple of bungee cords will keep the tarp from flying off in a wind.
  13. Spaggy

Spaggy Long timer

Oddometer:
    The extra weight of a cover is minuscule. It's already a land barge and fits my needs as such. If I was doing actual off road riding rather than muddy road riding it would be different. Think the cover will come along next time.
  14. WRW9751

WRW9751 7th Day Adventurist

Oddometer:
    Go with the cover!
  15. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    That's good advice for one-night-stands, also.
  16. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    It will rain and a dry seat is nice. I use a half cover and it works well.

I don't know where you guys live that you are more worried about a cover to keep people from stealing things rather than keep you ass dry.
  17. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    I'm not so much worried about someone stealing my bike (I have insurance for that), as I am worried someone is going to sit on the bike and maybe tip it over. Then I'm looking at cosmetic damage, and I'm out my deductible for the repairs. Or someone will plop their kid on the seat and he/she/it decides to snap off my mirror because, hey, shiny! Minor annoyances, really, but I'll avoid them if I can.

But you're 100% correct... a dry seat in the morning is nice. :D That's probably half the reason I use a cover.
  18. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
  20. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe you need to re-think that order, at least when you travel. Your trip will be pretty much ruined, if your bike gets stolen. Insurance or not. Besides, not everyone´s always been happy with what the insurance company has decided to pay them for their stolen bikes, so it can be a headache, even when you have that insurance. Might take some time to get that money, too.