Los Angeles to Miami - in January??

Discussion in 'Americas' started by steinbeisser, Dec 8, 2012.

1. steinbeisser

steinbeisser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Folks,

we are traveling from the end of December from LA, California to Miami, FL. We have do be there on Feb 20,

What happens in the winter on this Strech and what we have to see, where we need to go?

Riding on two KTM 640 adventure, so, off road will be fine.

Cheers Bernd
  2. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil

Oddometer:
    You will undoubtedly get many responses from riders intimately familiar with recommended destinations all along that route, so I'll just throw in some basic advice: First, go south to San Diego so you can ride east on I-8 over the mountains. You might be surprised how nasty the weather can be just a bit farther north that time of year.

Other than that, I highly recommend going south along the Rio Grande River through the Big Bend country, from Presidio, TX eastward. It looks as though you will have a lot of time to enjoy the ride, with lots of side trips all the way across the states. Have fun, be safe, and take lots of photos. We'll expect a complete ride report at the end. :D
  3. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    It would not be unheard of to get snow on I-10 west of El Paso.
  4. kobukan

kobukan almost gnarly

Oddometer:
    Generally, just stay south and stay out of the mountains and you should be ok. In the southwest it's all about elevation - stay at lower elevations for warm temps and clear roads. I-8 to I-10 across AZ to NM should be warm and clear.
  5. superkram

superkram Church parking lot rider

Oddometer:
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=844386

I'll be doing the same thing December 21 to January 5th. Right now my plan is to slab it between Orlando and Tucson on I-10, then see how the weather holds for the Tucson/Los Angeles leg of the trip. Ideally, I'd like to go into LA the southern route via back routes near I-8, then loop back through Joshua Tree National Park via I-10 on the return leg. December 29th to January 3rd will be 5 days of fun riding between Los Angeles & and Austin.

Eastbound from Austin... weather will be much less of an issue. We just don't get snow, but might get cold snaps. Other than rain or unexpected deer, your biggest worry from Houston eastward would probably be the possibility of thick fog. Since I need to be back at work on January 7th (and have ridden several times between FL/Louisiana) I plan to just slab it during Jan 4-6 from Austin to Orlando on I-10.
  6. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I/we delivered my Son's car from KY to SanDiego a few yrs back,say 2006 and it was Jan when we crossed the higher elevations on the I road west of Alb.,NM early in the a.m., having spent the night in that city where it was very pleasant. I remember the car indicating ~5degrees which is chilly on a bike.
  7. steinbeisser

steinbeisser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks guys!

after a couple of days without internet is see your postings. all in all its not so bad, i will check out the road numbers, when we have fast internet and than we can plan much better.

cheers for now,

bernd from the southern tip of the baja ;-)
  8. gasandasphalt

gasandasphalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live right on I-10 in southern New Mexico, if it were me,,, I would do as the Harley guys do,,,, load bike on trailer and drive your car. (just make sure your heater is working well.) Mornings here have been in the 'teens'.....:cry
  9. kobukan

kobukan almost gnarly

Oddometer:
    What are the daytime temps? I did a lot of riding in southeastern AZ last Jan & Feb at 5k'+ elevations and although mornings were cold it warmed up very quickly to temps in the 60's and 70's every day.
  10. gasandasphalt

gasandasphalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Daytime temps. running from 35 to 50deg. at 4335 ft.
  11. AceRph

AceRph Retired slacker

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Bernd & Heidi.
  12. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Today, on the portion old I-10 along the Mississippi coast it is in the low/mid 60's
  13. steinbeisser

steinbeisser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hi adv'ler!

you are so great people here in the us!!! we meet so nice and helpful people, just amazing!! thanks a lot guys!!!

tomorow we are leaving vegas, heading to the grand canyon, than to roswell - long strech!

cheers from the strip ;-)

heidi and bernd
  14. FLARider1

FLARider1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Give me a shout when you get over to the east coast and south. I live in Homestead, FL, just south of Miami and out of the stress of the city. Always fun to meet up with travelers as they pass through.

What are your plans when reaching Miami?
  15. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like you've found and used the Tent Space! :clap
  16. AceRph

AceRph Retired slacker

Oddometer:
    Jaime! We've had 5 visiters over the last couple of months! Thanks for fixing up the tent space thread! :thumb
  17. grizzzly

grizzzly The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer:
    it was great meeting you guys, best of luck on your voyage
  18. SirWrecksAlot

SirWrecksAlot Slowventurer

Oddometer:
    What ^ he said!

Had a great time visiting with Bernd and Heidi. Best wishes guys, ride safe!

Bernd had mentioned smelling fuel the day(s) before, so checked it out this morning. One of the fuel lines needed replaced. Quick trip to Autozone and he had it swapped out in no time. Good to go. :clap

[​IMG]

Smile!!

[​IMG]

Ready to go!

[​IMG]
  19. patrkbukly

patrkbukly Life at 10,000 feet Supporter

Oddometer:
    So where are you guys now? I'm in Miami, always ready for a coffee...or a beer....or a coffee and a beer.
  20. kaptkobe

kaptkobe Jus' an ST'er

Oddometer:
    Bernd and Heidi in Louisiana.

[​IMG]