Guess the Scooter...

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by PinkSteel, Apr 20, 2012.

1. PinkSteel

PinkSteel Been here awhile

Oddometer:

DING DING DING....We Have A Winner!!

Now, who's ever seen the new Genuine Blur 220i, and who's actually ridden one?

(And for those outside the US, we're talking about the PGO Max...)
  2. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I work at a golf cart store which also sells Genuine scooters. We just sold one to a fellow, in gun-metal gray. First one I'd seen in the flesh.

Of course I had to ride it after PDI as part of my ongoing QC pursuit:D

Snappy performance, but the step-over seemed high to me (30" inseamer here) and the seat seems WAY high to me. Really up there!

Also, the c-stand looks real low and prone to scraping for such a sport-oriented scooter but thats just my initial impression and I haven't tested that theory.

That being said, the fellow who purchased it has been back in and is delighted with it soooo? He's racking up some respectable mileage, including freeway, twisties and such and had no complaints.

Genuine scooters and the Genuine Scooter Company are both first rate. Great products from a great company.

If it floats your boat go for it!
  3. Warney

Warney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Went to an unnamed Rally, Lady pulls in and attempts to dismount her Blur which promptly falls into me while sitting on my Big Ruckus. Somehow between both of us, she and the Blur is caught and righted (while still sitting astride my BR), damage was one bruise on my forearm, nothing to either Scooter. Not 30 seconds later whilst still attempting to dismount the Blur she loses balance again and the exact same thing happens; this time I saw it coming. Somehow, no damage again. Good thing those blood pressure pills.
  4. TheReaper!

TheReaper! Been here awhile

Oddometer:

The average Big Ruckus I've bought , and I've owned 12 to date , had about $700 worth of cosmetic damage on it . One believe it or not had 500 miles on it , and had $1,200 worth of damages . The best one had $200 worth , so every one even though the average one I've purchased had about 500 total miles on it , had some damage . Truth be told most people for their own protection shouldn't be allowed on the road , or really any where near a motorized 2 wheel vehicle .
    I'm not saying that to put them down , just being honest . The guys at my local dealership tell me that I would be surprised at how many people , with brand new bikes never make it out of the parking lot .

TheReaper!
  5. thunderkat59

thunderkat59 Old cooter on a slow scooter

Oddometer:
    I like the Blur, great size and concept, but I prefer flat floor boards.
    The center bone is complaint on my Burgman, too :cry
    Kymco seems to love big bone'did scoots, much to my dismay.
  6. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow! I couldn't think of a thing! I actually enjoyed watching this, very intrusting!:deal

Never seed one before. I'm very sure you done read this.

http://www.justgottascoot.com/blur.htm

Well, they fucked up the speedometer for 2010.:cry I was confused, I read one article, but it was the 150 cc model, that one had a speedo with a respectable accuracy within 5%. But the 220i, is 15-17% optimistic!:puke1

That sucks. Terrible. Thats a deal braker for me. There is ABSOLUTLY NO excuse for being 17% optimistic! NONE. That is seriously dangerous.:deal Anything more than 10% is unaccetable and downright dangerious IMHO.

ALSO, the odometer reads equally optimistic. Now some odometers is actually more/less accurate than the speedos. But not in this case. So, its hard to say, but its possible his calculated MPG of 89-90 MPG was accurate, I's just unsure he's took the 15-17% off this MPG reading.

On the brighter side, note that it is a bit tall, BUT, this means better handling! More lean angle. It apparently handles more like a sport bike, has kick ass brakes, an ACCURATE gas gauge, cool looks, Fuel Injection is a plus, etc. Cool little scoot.

BUT, the minus is, the fuel tank location is quite undesirable for most scooterists. AND, with that much room it takes up off the floor, you'd THINK it'd have lots of capacity, right? Nope, only 1.9 Gallons.

Then, the plus, apparently he got 85-89 MPG without babying it! Not bad at all for a 220cc! IF he done took the odometers apparent optimistic reading into account in that calculation. I do believe he did.

You can weigh in the pros/cons all day long, but its neat. I's not crazy about the fuel tank, but I do like it. It's a neat little bike. I do not like the inaccurate speedometer. I reckon a GPS could fix that. But that puts it as slow for a 220 cc, with a top speed of about 69 MPH actual or 80 MPH indicated. Even an old Riva 180 could do better by a bit. An Elite 250 would cruise at 72-75 MPH as well, accuratly, and still get reasonable MPG with it's low stress engine design.

But all in all its a good scoot. Depends on what you want.
  7. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl SO true!
  8. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We have a member of our scooter group who could fit that description except that she never owned or rode a Big Ruckus. Her balance problem was eventually solves - she rides a Silverwing trike now.
  9. vortexau

vortexau Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer:
    ? ? ?

And here I am wondering if some blue suit at H-D has returned the Harley Topper to the US marketplace.

[​IMG]

Not him . . . . swap those words in order.
  10. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was at a local scooter dealer a few weeks ago and took this pic:

[​IMG]

Nice looking scooter. It felt quite comfortable when I sat on it. It did look like cornering clearance might be an issue for an aggressive rider.

This is the bike that really got me drooling:

[​IMG]
  11. thunderkat59

thunderkat59 Old cooter on a slow scooter

Oddometer:
    Where was the dealer, AL or GA ? :D

:beer
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Marietta Sports car and scooter in GA. They carry Vespa, Piaggio, Sym, and Genuine scooters
  13. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Looks like a dead-ringer for the TU250X!

Is that getting cloned now?
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    i doubt the used the TU250 as a model, probably something like the original CB125.

Here's a pic from the other side:

[​IMG]

From the reviews I read, it's pretty impressive for an air cooled 150cc carburated bike. 70 MPH (actual) top speed and 85 MPG.
  15. savit260

savit260 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Reminds me much more of an early 70's Honda CB 100.

Got the chance to see one in person, and as much as I wanted to like it ... I just couldn't warm up to it.

Seemed to be a bit cheesy in comparison to an old Honda. Two things in particular irked me. One was the fenders seemed to be really thin metal, and just seemed chintzy. Second was the decals weren't well done. The ones on the tank appeared to have been folded in half before they were applied to the bike. I was a bit disappointed, as I had been waiting a while to see one in person. I was expecting a bit better quality out of SYM given that their other products seem well done IMO.

Still a nice enough little bike, but just a bit let down. Disappointed enough to scratch it off my list of bikes I was interested in.

That dealer had a brand new Blur as well. Looked quite nice, but really didn't pay too much attention to it as it was a bit outside of the parameters that I was looking for. Seemed nice on a quick glance though.
  16. conchscooter

conchscooter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad I'm not trying to make a living selling motorcycles if fenders and decals are enough to kill a deal on a low cost little bike.
  17. lifer

lifer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If they wll not take the time to make sure a decal is on correctly what makes you think they will make sure the engine is assembled correctly. If they scimp on the thickness of the fenders why would they not do the same to the engine cases or other critical parts of the bike.
  18. seraph

seraph asshole on a scooter

Oddometer:
    Man, I knew you were talking about the Blur 220 when I read the OP! Really does not get much attention. The 150 didn't, either.

A buddy of mine had a 220 - keyword: had. He loved riding it... when it worked. He ran into some bizzaro fuel injection/ECU issues (and dumb dealer problems) before Genuine finally took the bike back and swapped him a Stella 4t for it. You can read his saga here.
  19. savit260

savit260 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If it were a $1500 bike, I could forgive that kind of stuff, but not at $3000+.

I was hoping to see a level of fit and finish that was comparable to the Sym Symba's... which IMO are very nicely done, and come in at a price point below the Wolf/Classic 150.

Exactly. It just didn't exude a feeling of quality or even a good value for the money. Again, a bit chintzy is how it came off to me.. I guess I was expecting something along the lines of a new/modern CB100 (because it sure looks the part) , and it fell a good bit short in my opinion.