Did Triumph solve the stalling issue on the Tiger 800?

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by mountain36, Mar 16, 2012.

1. mountain36

mountain36 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do any Tiger 800 owners still have stalling issues with their bikes or did Triumph finally solve the problem for good?
  2. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Triumph fixed it with an updated map quite a while ago.
  3. refokus

refokus Hmmmmmm Supporter

Oddometer:
    What he said...it's been resolved for some time now. :clap
  4. mountain36

Oddometer:
  5. refokus

refokus Hmmmmmm Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
  7. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    Mine started doing it last Sunday about 60 miles into a 174 mile dualsport ride. We stopped for gas just before heading into the woods and the bike didn't want to re start without giving it some throttle. I'm glad we were far away from traffic as the constant need to blip the throttle to keep it going was a hassle.
  8. Scaredofthedirt

Scaredofthedirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Ahh yes, the software fix for a mechanical issue....didn't fix the stalling issue for Tigers ridden in dusty conditions like here in Oz.

Google stepper motor and you should find some good graphics (tiger800.co.uk from memory).

Anyway, solution seems to be some goop on the stepper motor actuator arm and the issue is resolved.

A buddy has 10k km on his since the goop and I've done 2k km of very dusty riding one mine since goop with no stalling. :clap
  9. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    I am very aware of this - but it's rarely a problem for most riders. And as you point out it has an easy fix. The guy in the other thread got a new ECU for whatever reason.

I don't have my bike long enough to be aware of any problem with that though but I wouldn't have bought the bike if Triumph didn't solve problems like this.
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    & with the stall fix it seems the gas mpg took a huge hit.
  11. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    There was an initial hit but subsequent maps seem to have corrected that. The only think I can see as showing up regularly is that people with the arrow can have significant lower mileage.

But it could also be that these people are the ones pushing the Tiger into much higher rev ranges. I'm seeing 45mpg (US) average with my Roadie right now and I think this will get a bit over time.
  12. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    Stalling issue is fixed. The non restart/ non start issue is a different problem all together.
  13. mountain36

Oddometer:
    And the non restart / non start issue hasn't been fixed yet?
  14. internalcombust

internalcombust What a blast!

Oddometer:
    And what is goop? Do you mean grease?
  15. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    It seems to be an issue with some mechanical lever that sits under the tank (stepper motor components). Some are reporting that the problem is when you ride in really dusty/ dirty conditions this lever gets dirty and doesnt work right. It was discussed in the Tiger 800 forum and there are pictures with regards to the location. The ones that have had this "problem" have cleaned the lever then applied light grease or other lubricants and it then seems the issue is gone. Will Triumph address this? No idea.
  16. porkandcorn

porkandcorn FortesFortunaAdiuvat

Oddometer:
    i'm riding south america right now on some really terrible, dusty roads. the issue is not resolved and it is the stepper motor that is the culprit. i hear a good cleaning and lubing of the swing arm is the field solution. i unfortunately only found this out after i had a new stepper motor fedex'd from oregon to bolivia.
  17. porkandcorn

porkandcorn FortesFortunaAdiuvat

Oddometer:
    that said, i still love this bike and would not buy anything else!
  18. aarlint

aarlint noob rider

Oddometer:
    I just finished up on a 12000 mile trip from Utah to Argentina and my tiger 800 xc started to have the stalling issue in central america. I was able to continue the trip with minimal stalling because I found a trick to help the stepper motor. If you turn off the bike with the key and wait for the "FAX" sound... or the sound of the stepper motor and during that sound you open and let snap close the throttle it seems to bump the stepper motor into place... or allow it to move freely. At any rate the bike is able to start and idle the next start. However if you miss the fax sound and start the bike without this procedure it gets worse and worse and ends up stalling out again.

I got home cleaned off the stepper motor and throttle bodies with some lubricant and I havent had the issue reappear yet.
    Sachou and tattoo Dave like this.
  19. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Thanks, nice of you to post that info. Did you do any sort of ride report on your trip?
  20. aarlint

aarlint noob rider

Oddometer:
    Yeah. Utah2argentina.blogspot.com my wife did most of the writing.