Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    I removed all the Birdseye and USGS stuff. Haven't missed it at all.

And you're right: there are very few 'Global' settings on the Montana, settings that persist through the different profiles.
  2. Rocky TFS

Rocky TFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nope, each profile has to be individually tailored for what maps enabled. Updating or adding a map will turn them all back on.....now THAT"S the really irritating part! :dog

I deleted the Birdseye and quads the first week I had the unit....didn't even back them up.

Now, I use JaVaWa to back up all the maps, because some, like CNNA, are only partial loads, I'll never use the Eastern or Canadian sections (searches are faster too) and the backup means I won't have to go through Mapinstall and click on what I want for each map all over again. If my micro card dies, I'll just get a new one and dump the backups onto it, complete with unlock codes.:D
  3. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    I found that updating a map only enables that map in each profile, not all maps in each profile. I went through that just this week - the only map I needed to enable/disable depending on the profile was CNNA.
  4. Rocky TFS

Oddometer:
    Hmmmn....maybe it's only when adding a state 24K map I get from GPSFileDepot. I sure thought I had seen it do this, turning on all the other 24K maps in each profile.
  5. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, sorry if this has been discussed before. I searched this thread for battery issues, but they seem to be vibration related. I just purchased a new Montana 600 from an online vendor and after charging the battery overnight,it still would not power on. It works just fine in the AMPS rugged mount and with AA batteries. The vendor shipped me a replacement battery, but that one doesn't work either. I checked the contacts and it looks like they are contacting the battery. Is there a simple fix to this or does it sound like I have a bad Montana?
  6. RAM

RAM 2 wheel Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    Did you change the unit's battery setting?
    Select>settings>system>battery type.
  7. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Montana 'self detects' the Li-Ion battery.
  8. Hikertrash

Oddometer:
    Right now it only recognizes AA batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have not heard of this failure before. I am very curios to hear how it is resolved.

All the gold pins are making contact with the gold contacts on the li-ion battery inside the Montana, so far as you can tell?

Did you charge it via USB or the AC adapter?
  10. Hikertrash

Oddometer:
    All pins have contact with battery. Charging by USB today to see if that'll work. If not, it'll go back to vendor for testing/replacement.
  11. jimrobinette

jimrobinette Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ordered the 600 last week for $399 as posted here, and then last Sunday I ordered the AMPS mount and some RAM hardware from GPS City for second day delivery, as I was headed down to RawHyde's Adventure Days on Thursday.

When nothing arrived on Wed, I called GPS City and was told that the mount was on a back order and they don't expect them in for a couple of weeks. They said Garmin had pulled all stock due to a locking pin problem. Anybody heard of this? Have details? First I've heard of it.
  12. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:

I do recall someone hear posting "I can't get the lock screw to catch the threads".
  13. Hikertrash

Oddometer:
    I having the same problem as well. Someone mentioned that the GPS had to be seated completely for the lock to work. I eventually got mine to catch the threads but the effort to do so does not seem normal.
  14. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    My mount has this issue. GPSCity got Garmin to send me a replacement for free.

It sits in the box, unopened. I have found that there is no way the Montana pops out of the mount unless the release is pushed. So I never bother with the locking screw.
  15. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just observed the same behavior on my stateside mount. It works just fine on my mount in Germany. I thought for a minute it was me, but finding this thread, I'm not alone.
  16. kdtrull

kdtrull Alpha Nerd

Oddometer:
    Does the new Montana allow you to control how far out you can zoom and still see th minor roads? I hate it when they turn off the minor roads too soon.

Kdt
  17. johnpitts01

johnpitts01 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure the answers are in this thread somewhere. But the info seems to change daily, so I'd appreciate the latest correct setup

Brand new virgin Montana 650 - Haven't even turned it on yet.
    I want to load CNNT 2013 with lifetime updates and Topo 100k maps. I have CD's for both.
    The questions:
    1) I believe the best setup is to load the maps to a uSD card, correct?
    2) What size card should I get, and is there a specific brand / model that is fast and compatible?
    3) What is the specific procedure to ensure the maps are loaded to the uSD card (and not the unit)?

Any other specific pointers for initial setup of the unit are much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

John

18. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    No, the gps does not really control that. It's a property that's built into the map.

But if you have a map like the OSM ones which allow road detail out to the 5km zoom level, then you can see lots of detail when zoomed out.
  19. Rocky TFS

Oddometer:
    Setup>Map>Advanced>Detail.....Most to Least

I think a lot of us leave it at Most. Different maps lose the details at different zooms. CNNA is poor in this regard for ADV riders, which is why I use various topo maps for dirt riding.
  20. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    I think a couple of identical 16 gig cards are the best way to go. Keep the same maps on both and if one card gets corrupted while you're on the road then just switch to the spare.

The cards don't have to be very fast but I don't think it's a bargain to buy cheap brands.

Use the most recent version of MapInstall to put the maps on the card. Just choose the right destination, ie the card and not the gps.