Ducati MultiStrada 1200

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Paulvt1, Sep 10, 2008.

1. gkaan

gkaan Bikes on the Brain

Oddometer:
    just put a deposit on a Black 2011 MTS Touring S with 11K miles. Sold my RT which lasted 3 months.... it was fine while touring long distances but otherwise boring and i never rode it. In order to fund the Multi i also need to sell my 950SM which will be missed. I cant wait to find out how it compares on the twisty bumpy backroads i usually ride. also the multi is under warranty and im debating to spend $$$ for the extended warranty or take my chances?
    :D
  2. Pampero

Pampero Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's a thread to peruse.
  3. expatbrit

expatbrit Still pretty much a n00b.

Oddometer:
    Yup. Precisely.
  4. Gorilla King

Gorilla King Dobar Skorz! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tired of waiting for the Reno dealer to come through so I'm buying a 2013 1200S from the Dealer in Roseville Ca. Pick it up tomorrow. Ride it home over the Sierras.

Anyone have any break in tips?
  5. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    Ride it like you stole it, just keep it off the rev limiter. On/off throttle to push the rings against the cylinder walls, especially for the first 50-100 miles. Try not to drone on the interstate at a constant speed.

And congrats! :clap

-SM
  6. Cos

Cos Re-Greekified

Oddometer:
    Well done old man, well done.

I never really got on with those guys anyway.
  7. 3B43

3B43 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bought my MTS from A&S the end of August. My first trip was through the Sierra's....Sonora Pass is gorgeous! Enjoy your bike!
  8. Gorilla King

Oddometer:
    Sound advice, Thanks
  9. Gorilla King

Oddometer:
    Thanks Cos. It is like the Reno dealer doesn't want to sell a bike. Wonder if I will have any problems getting my despot back. If I have trouble getting over Donner tomorrow, send AceRph ... with donuts.
  10. Gorilla King

Oddometer:
    yup ...looking forward to doing all the passes in the Sierras on the Ducati.

:evil
    [​IMG]
  11. KodiakRS

KodiakRS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have any experience putting on bars with less rise or less sweep? I'm trying to change my seating position from bolt upright to slightly leaned forward.
  12. Flightar

Flightar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why did you sell the MTS?
  13. KHVol

KHVol Long timer

Oddometer:
    I previously rode a 950 SM, xlnt bike. After putting risers on it, it gave me a slightly more upright position and made it significantly more comfortable. I then rented a Multi in LA and the riding position on the stock Multi was almost exactly the same as the 950SM with risers. You may or may not like the more leaned over position if you ride for long stretches.

I may end up cutting the bars down though, they feel a bit to wide stock.
  14. Flightar

Oddometer:
    How do you guys find the matte paint schemes hold up in the real world? Whats the best way to keep it clean and scratch free (relatively anyway). I really like the new gran turismo but I'm very leary of paint that I can't apply wax to.
  15. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    Not a Multi, but my wife's Street Triple has the matte paint. Frankly neither of us are a fan of the paint. Basically clean with car wash and kind of pat dry, you can't even really shammy it dry like regular paint. Wear spots polish and lose their matte and she's got a couple rock chips that seem to really show up more than on regular paint. No scratches after two years though and this is on a pure street bike, although she's been known to take a few back roads.

[​IMG]

Bottom line, we wouldn't buy a matte bike again. We'll have this one for awhile though because the paint is her only beef with the bike.
  16. Flightar

Oddometer:
    I know it will depend quite alot on how its ridden and it may have been discussed elsewhere in this thread but what touring range are you guys getting.
  17. llamapacker

llamapacker Mr. Conservative

Oddometer:
    Some panel problems and 2 weeks in the shop 200 miles away, for a minor fix, caused me some concern. I decided not to take it to Alaska. 28,000+ miles on the Super Tenere, including the Alaska 21 day trip of 10,000 miles. The Multi could barely get 200 miles to a tank, Super Tenere can go 250 if needed. That and I am a one bike guy, don't ask about the STR. LOL
  18. gsride1

gsride1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well the 2013's are rolling into Canada.
    My Pikes Peak just arrived, maybe the first PP into Canada the dealer said.
    would post pic but it seems im not allowed, not sure why.
    Now all we need is the sub zero temps to disappear.
  19. Dave.0

Dave.0 on the spectrum

Oddometer:
    One up at sane speeds - stretching to get 200 miles on a tank, much more and you need to be getting really serious

obviously track style riding will eat into mileage

when I tour, I usually aim to refuel at around 170-180 to be safe, my low fuel light usually just kicks on about then
  20. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon ...riding California

Oddometer:
    I'm getting 200 miles if I feel lucky. Safer for me to refuel at 175 miles. Barely acceptable for a touring oriented bike, but like a beautiful woman, one is willing to overlook the flaws given the other assets they bring to the table.