The "Long Way" series -more harm than good?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by VFR_firefly, Oct 6, 2009.

1. ReactorTrip

ReactorTrip glows in the dark

Oddometer:
    Because stubborn old people that don't want people to have their own opinions won't let us. :D

OH GOD!! A television show is ruining my life, AWWWWWWW!!!!!

I bought a GS after the movies, I love the damn thing, but I also have a DRZ400 sitting right next to it for when I actually want to dual sport beyond a gravel road. The GS is a great alternative 2 up beast for me and the wife to explore street and forest service roads in the area, plus a decent touring bike. The DRZ isn't much fun two up. I'm glad a bunch of people bought the thing and then sold them. I got a decent deal on mine and I'm happy. I sure as hell didn't want to buy a new one for that price.

The damn thing performs on the street as well. It's more fun to ride than my 600rr was because not only is it fun in the twisties, but it's comfortable once I am on the slab.
  2. lstzephyr

lstzephyr Solo con rambo

Oddometer:
    Fair enough, but it still wouldn't be perfect. I enjoy trying different bikes, and riding. I like the gs monstrosities, harleys, and everything else. There is no perfect bike, there wasn't before the posers and there will not be after the posers.
  3. Pappy541

Pappy541 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke █║▌│ █│║▌ ║││█║▌ │

Oddometer:
    :hide
  5. svizzerams

svizzerams Rx Rangerette

Oddometer:
    You are soooo right, sir - there is no perfect bike, that's why I have three :D
  6. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    Taking care of my elderly mother, my children, and securing a nice retirement for myself and my wife IS a big deal, which is why I don't ride around the world and indulge in selfish pursuits. My adventures are small, but they're meaningful to the only person that matters....which isn't you, but thanks for taking interest in my riding hobby.
  7. unbeliever

unbeliever Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just watch them for Charley's wife.
  8. locopostie

locopostie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I loved the whining, and watching them put there backs out picking up their bikes. I think its a great series. One can learn a lot from others mistakes. Plus, as someone stated earlier, the gear that's now available, is great.
    If one really wants to watch a show that does damage, watch "Man vs Wild". A survival show. I saw a program of his where he skis down a mountain, ends up on a glacier, some how crawls under it. Throws away his ski boots. Wearing just the liners he now descends thousands of feet, only to find a water fall in his way. He then tells you that the safest way down is not in the trees where you will have footing, and tons of things to help your decent, but right in the middle of the water fall. So leaving the safety of the trees he now must down climb a near vertical wall, with glacial cold water running over his head.
    There were enough complaints about his programs that they now come with a warning.
  9. Fishyhead

Fishyhead Eremikophobic

Oddometer:
    My only worry is that non-riders will think that riders hug each other often and cry about the number of miles we have to put on the next day. :rofl

I read LWR and am watching LWD on DVD and Ewan crying about "the negativity" is the only thing I don't like. Otherwise, the trips themselves are cool and the video (from DVD) is great.
  10. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Previous Rider

Oddometer:
    The Good:pope ....the shows (including race to dakar) had motorbikes in them.

The Bad :topes....whining poms

The Ugly :kat ....whining poms whining while having 3 months off to ride thier free motorbikes while whining about it.

Yes i have watched all three DVD's
  11. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    I met the Helge dude this year. Nice guy. He organizes semi-supported trips to almost anywhere. You have the $$$? He will ship your bike, and the bike of a few others, and he will guide you on the silk road from Turkey to China. Or from Alaska to Ushuaia. Or several other routes. One support truck, a couple of small digital cameras, and an opportunity to interact with locals and do some tourism on the side. Of course, someone will bitch about the support truck. Or that it is a guided tour. Or that Helge rides BMWs. Nothing can be perfect, right? Anyway, Helge is a great guy.
    Lion

12. rob feature

rob feature pull my finger

Oddometer:
    Looks to me like they got some folks interested in motorcycle travel and probably sold some bikes in the process. And maybe even made the riding climate more friendly in areas.

Moreover, they've convinced folks to buy and farkle bikes that they discover they don't want. Which makes for a robust used bike and stuff market. For these things I applaud them.

I'd expect nothing less of a Jedi
  13. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    you paint a big picture..."the world" is poorer cause of britneys contributions?Get over your self.Charley,Ewan and even Britney are people doing what they do.Its the warped media/public attention that makes it "contributions".I would have a beer with all of them.But i wouldnt cross the street to just watch them walk out of a building and get into a car.Or buy a magazine cos they are n the cover.But i will watch two guys who obviusly have a passion for motorcycling do some .....motorcycling.
  14. VTRally

VTRally Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's a good thing you are a small time loud mouth on an obscure internet forum with no power to legislate or influence a manufacturers direction.
    Right now is the best I have seen when it comes to choice of small street legal bikes available. You moaned that the market was flooded with "monsters" and there weren't any "real man" bikes. WTF are you talking about?
    Yamaha
    WR250
    WR450

Suzuki
    DRZ400

KTM
    450EXC
    530EXC
    690 Enduro

Kawaskai
    KLx250

And that's just a start.

I have had the good fortune to meet, ride and spend some time with some of the motorcycling greats. Fortunately, none of them are anything like you.
  15. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are joking right. (?)

VFR has a very hands OFF approach when it come to legislation.

The WR 450 is NOT street legal. (at least not in the U.S.)

There used to be a far better selection of dual purpose bikes than there is now. (Due to that whole legislation thing you speak of)
  16. VFR_firefly

VFR_firefly Buh Bye!

Oddometer:
    Is this n00b calling me a small-time loudmouth on an obscure internet forum?

:lol3

Yes, I believe he is!

I think I'll go cry now! :cry
  17. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    The word is out. You better hide. They can see this stuff around the World. YOU'RE DOOOOOOMED

:rofl

Hey VTRally, FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE NOOB. (and welcome to the asylum) :freaky
  18. VTRally

VTRally Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DAKEZ, Thanks. I have been a lurker for years.
    I do not know VFRsputterfly but have read his pompous spoutings for a while.
    I was merely expressing my happiness that he does not hold any reigns of power as it seem only those who are extremely gifted can ride in his world. I also expressed that most of the greats I have met from the sport of motorcycling are gratefully not like him.

I am 35 and in my lifetime have not seen as good a selection of single cylinder plated from the OEM bikes available in the US. XR250L's of yesterday do not hold a candle to the WR's EXC's etc one can buy today.
  19. VFR_firefly

VFR_firefly Buh Bye!

Oddometer:
    In many states -especially Wisconsin, but others have an issue as well, it's near impossible to plate a dirt bike that doesn't come road legal. Because there is only but a trickle of demand, the OEM's don't bother making road legal versions of these and instead most people do what they can to "convert" and register them as road-legal bikes.

That's my whole point.

But as a "long-time" lurker, I'm sure you didn't miss that...

:fyyff
  20. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    Dude, there is a bmw 450x. What more does one need? Oh yeah, a ktm 530 exc-r :wink: