MOtorrad ADV bike comparo

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Thinc2, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Thinc2

Thinc2 Paciugo

Oddometer:
    Some interesting data all in one place - weight, HP...

Basic message - they like a lot of these bikes. For the Tenere engine: "unbreakable". For the Stelvio: "very heavy". NOte the price is not lower for the Guzzi and Tenere than the BMW in Germany. Not the case in US.

Overall they acknowledge there are a lot of good bikes competing in this space. They also acknoweldge that what Harley has done for the chopper culture, BMW had done for the GS - you get to belong to a lifestyle when you buy a GS.

They also note that their long term test Ducati has 50K KM's on the clutch with no issues. They have been sourcing this clutch for the last three years from Japanese OEM FCC. And guess what - this is the exact clutch that is in the new GS.

And based on just this review - the KTM comes in first...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting the scans.. too bad I can't read it! :(: Strange that GS doesn't come in first place when it has all green bullets and no red, it is german based Motororra after all.. :scratch Interested in hearing what they had to say about the Versys 1000.
  3. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:
    They do not appear to like the Tenere.

My crappy translations:

Motorleistung: Motor power, motor output
    Fahrleistungen: road/driving performance (hence the wheel in the air)
    Assistenzsysteme: Like it sounds, I guess - assist systems. ABS, traction control, etc
    Gewicht: weight
    Reichweite: range
    Ausstattung: equipment/fittings, looks like gauges/trip computer
    Preis: price, obviously
    Gesamt: I'd guess something like Gestalt, the whole, overall winner.

Someone who did more than spend a week ordering beer in Vienna can probably do better.

Seems like odd stuff to compare based on, I wonder how the scores were weighted.
  4. Murf2

Murf2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What, no Farfegnugen category ?
  5. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:

I think that is meant to be covered by Fahrleistungen :rofl
  6. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stelvio last overall...ouchie! :eek1
  7. Thinc2

Thinc2 Paciugo

Oddometer:
    They say: too heavy, and that technically it compares with the older GS generations. Also they say it is easily damaged when dropped.
  8. GS-A-Day

GS-A-Day Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Note that on p. 43 (the text in the picture) they say that this report is based on the numbers submitted by the manufacturers and (in the case of KTM and Aprilia) some estimates as well. The actual tests are to follow in March.
  9. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    given their criteria, it makes sense that the Ducati came in first.....good for the guys from Borno Panigale!
  10. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:

Thank you for that. I was wondering. All the power outputs quoted seem to be as as claimed, at the crank. So they are lining them up, on the numbers. A bit of speculation about how the new KTM and GS will go against the established contenders.

The Stelvio might be a heavy beast, but the quoted weight - 285kg - doesn't sound quite right for the version they have pictured and named, which is the one sold with cast wheels and no extras. And while its tech might look old, it's near the Yam in the power department.
  11. coast range rider

coast range rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    If only I understood German so I could see which bike that I want that they don't sell here!
  12. MANXMAN

MANXMAN Old Git

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that.

Can anyone determine if there is any mention of off road abilities in the Fahrleistungen segment?
  13. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    This is a spec sheet comparison, and they even got that wrong (compared weight if a Stelvio NTX but showed standard model).

It is nice to have the specs all in one place, but to declare a "spec sheet" winner seems a bit :huh :loco

-SM
  14. LowOnFuel

LowOnFuel In the crapper

Oddometer:
    I think it says the KTM came in first, but I might be wrong, again. :wink:
  15. Fishenough

Fishenough Team Lurker

Oddometer:
    Warps my brain that what many consider a 'large trailie', an off the shelf dirt bike (KTM 1190), can pull a 10 second quarter mile and hit 150 miles per hour.
  16. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    So they rode the spec sheet and came up with a winner? Must be short of topics to write about... :norton
  17. Rick West

Rick West Function not Farkles

Oddometer:
    Not the slightest bit surprised that the MG finished last but I am surprised tha new "street" KTM finished first ahead of the Ducati on a strictly pavement comparision.
  18. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Ya, a spec sheet comparo and a winner is chosen. :rolleyes They gotta create a buzz around the new GS. On paper it has no faults. :lol3 a few years ago you could count the available large displacement adventure touring bikes on one hand. It's great to have more choice and the choice of reliable japanese bikes. Honda needs to bring theirs here.
  19. Thinc2

Thinc2 Paciugo

Oddometer:
    I didn't post it because of the winner - I posted because I thought it was useful to have the info all in one place...
  20. Rick West

Rick West Function not Farkles

Oddometer:
    Don't worry about it. It's winter and it gives us something to compare the bikes with.

You are always going to have those who's bike did not make the grade sad. It hurts their feelings when their "just as good as the those others but it was way cheaper" bikes comes in at the bottom half of the comparision. I'm sure KTM, Ducati and BMW paid them off.:rolleyes