Hammock Tents - Super linky - got one? tell us about it and post pics here!!

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by HighTechCoonass, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Pine Sol

Pine Sol Been here awhile

Oddometer:

ouch, just the thought of drilling a hole through a branch to hang a swing makes my skin tingle...

if this were me and my kids, i wouldnt drill or use ropes wrapped around that branch, i would make something to spread the load across the branch (like a 4 or 6" PVC pipe halved, or enough to rest over top of the branch to spread the load and so not to cut into the branch making it weak) have a two part system, ropes or something over the pipe, and then then hanging ropes down from those loops to the swing bellow. not sure if that makes sense. trying to lower the back and forth swing motion away from the branch arm to the swing itself.
  2. FINNDIAN

FINNDIAN Mine goes to 11

Oddometer:
    Got to hang a few days this past weekend and try or my new superfly. Love it.

[​IMG]

Would it be considered bad tee hugger etiquette to hang your fly with ropes. Not much force there me thinks.

Sent from my Droid RAZR using tapatalk 2
  3. weird1

weird1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sweet spot FINNDIAN. I liked my superfly a lot!!
  4. mtndragon

mtndragon Traveler

Oddometer:
    Ropes are considered ok for tarps as they don't have a lot of weight and do not harm the tree. Looks like a great set-up and a good time. FYI, you can hang the superfly without a ridgeline. Brandon does his seams so that they are waterproof and do not need a ridgeline-pretty sweet!
  5. FINNDIAN

FINNDIAN Mine goes to 11

Oddometer:
    I had considered not using a ridge line but decided to attach the fly with prusik's so I could slide it side to side on the ridge line as needed. Really happy with the ajustability and how it works

Sent from my Droid RAZR using tapatalk 2
  6. RonkoRider

RonkoRider Wrong Island, NY Supporter

Oddometer:
    CRAP! I took a little nappy in my Chrysalis earlier yesterday, and I accidentally left the far corner off. I think about 10 gallons of water got in with yesterday and today's rains! My poor summer bag is soaking wet!

On the bright side, my modded HH came back today. I had 2qZq on the HF forum add a zipper on both sides of the bug netting (mod#4). I hated crawling into through the birth canal. Besides, I had a 5 inch tear in the the netting that had to be repaired. Once I set her up, I'll post more pics here.

At this point, I'm liking sleeping in the Chrysalis better than the HH but I'm not overly happy with having to velcro myself into the system from the inside. It gets very tippy when you try to seal yourself in. I also question the ventilation of the whole set up. I'm thinking this this will be pretty warm to sleep in during the summer.
  7. dlh62c

dlh62c Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use straps to support the hammock because that's what came with it. I use rope to secure the tarp. But I found that some types of rope stretch more than others when exposed to a spring storm that results in high winds and 3 inches of rain.

daryl
  8. Land

Land Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I hung at the Eastern Rendezvous this past weekend. CrazyMike did, too. These are our rigs. (Picture stolen from Cuttle. :D)

[​IMG]

Mike's is the closer one. The tarp is a Warbonnet Superfly. The hammock is a Warbonnet 1.1 double layer. He used an ArrowHead Equipment KickAss Quilts Lost River 2/3rds underquilt. He used a sleeping bag for insulation in the hammock, and he used an ENO DoubleNest slung underneath as a gear hammock.

My rig is the one next to the (unoccupied) Airstream. The tarp is a Jacks 'R' Better 11'x10' cat tarp. The hammock is a Warbonnet Superfly 1.7 double with a HammockGear Winter Incubator underquilt and a HammockGear Burrow topquilt. I used an ENO Doublenest as a gear hammock to store my riding gear, clothes bag and such.

:D
    Chris
  9. weird1

weird1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use prussiks, and a dutch hook on each end so I can still center the tarp over my hammock. I found I like the 2 piece ridge line better. The tarp seems to hang better and remain tighter than it did with the 1 piece ridge line. If memory serves, I do believe the superfly has a cat cut ridge and a 1 piece ridge line makes it harder to get the ridge nice and taught. It has been a while since I had a superfly and I switched to the 2 piece ridge right as I was replacing the superflys so I could be wrong about the catgut. I do know my current tarp has a straight cut ridge, and I prefer the 2 piece over the one piece. I say go with what you like, but give the 2 piece a try before you decide against it, I wouldn't try it for a long time, and I had no reason why I wish I would have sooner.
  10. Katoom119

Katoom119 Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer:
    Man I wish I had walked back there. I was up at the creek in the orange Marmot tent with the lounge chair hanging in the tree.

Mike 6USMC6 got me thinking about hammock camping and my huge dry bag of gear is seconding the opinion. Just bought a DoubleNest and I would have liked to see the WB.
  11. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    Yes it does get stale and hot in there with everything closed in the summer.

Get the Bug Screen for more air if it's nice out. You can actually combine them both with the full cover pulled back as far as you want and have full mesh all around you. If it get cooler you can pull it up to leave just your head area exposed and it it's going to rain pull it all the way over.
  12. RonkoRider

RonkoRider Wrong Island, NY Supporter

Oddometer:
    Okay, where would I get it from?

Is this what your talking about?

Eureka Chrysalis tropic screen

[​IMG]
  13. BgDadddy

BgDadddy Nurse Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    I just bought a Kammok.

I have the sickness.... :norton
  14. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
    How did you guys do in the storm?

15. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
  16. Land

Land Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I saw you hanging the lounger in the tree, but you were in conversation with someone when my buddy and I walked by on our way to register. When I stopped by later to get a ticket for a lounger ride, the ticket booth was boarded up and you were nowhere to be found.:lol3

Your rally neighbors Bandy (Scott) and Beth with the black 1100GS are buddies of mine.

I'd have been happy to show you the rigs. Maybe next rally.

Mike,
    We were high and dry in all of that rain Thursday night.:D :clap

I'm sorry that I missed meeting you. Or did I? I met a couple of Mikes. (If we met on Friday evening layer in the evening, I hope that you'll understand why I don't remember.:lol3)

Did you hang?

Chris
  17. Land

Land Wanderer

Oddometer:
    John,
    The Slap Straps are the culprit.:nod They are made of the wrong material and stretch waaaaaay too much. I suggest takin' 'em back to REI and using something else.:nod

CrazyMike, my hanging/riding buddy who was with me at the Eastern Rendezvous this past weekend, had just his gear in his ENO with Slap Straps. The weight of his jacket and pants caused the Slap Starps to stretch and the ENO to sink to the ground overnight from about 18-or-so inches off the ground.:huh

Kammok sells Python Straps, which are similar in concept to the Slap Straps. (And the strap with loops is a good concept, IMHO. Simple with decent adjustability.) Reportedly, the Python Straps don't stretch. I have not tried the Python Straps myself, but I may get a set.

If you don't like the strap with sewn-on loops concept, there are all kinds of hammock-geek suspension systems out there. Be careful, though -- farkling a hammock gets expensive like farkling a motorcycle.:lol3

Chris
  18. Land

Land Wanderer

Oddometer:
    :razor
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    You're just another cog in the garden, Rick.:lol3

Chris
  19. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
    We undoubtedly crossed paths. In preparation for a (now cancelled) Alaska trip, we were using my old Black Diamond Oasis with a Kelty Noah's tarp as a fly and we were camped right nest to Katoom119's swing. I'd thrown the tarp up a bit to sloppily and we got water in the tent so I'm done with it. Alaska is postponed to June 2013 and I'll figure out a way to make the hammock work up there - even if I have to carry and extra mosquito net and sleep on the ground occasionally.

Of the graybeards who were at the Rendezvous, I'm probably the grayest.

20. BgDadddy

BgDadddy Nurse Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    I got the Python straps so I'll let you know how they work.

If they will hold my big arse without stretching, they will hold anyone. :deal