2013 KTM Adventure 1190

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by goodcat8, Apr 23, 2012.

1. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
  2. sTE610vE

sTE610vE First on the brakes, last on the gas... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing the extra hp is throughout the powerband and not just at the upper rev's and redline....maybe you should plug your exhaust up to get rid of some of that pesky unsable horsepower of your 9*0, who could possibly use 100 hp in the dirt anyway??? While your at it add about 150 lbs and gear it up about 5 teeth too, that out to make it more "tractable"

:amazon
  3. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:
    No one is commenting on the skid plate and Akro exhaust already fitted in those pictures?

Seems like they were doing alot of the offroad riding that many have claimed this bike would never be capable of. Looks good to me.
  4. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if it's still PDS or is it a linkage bike now?

I can't get a good look at it in any of the photo's. The linkage could be a nice change when it comes to landing the big girl...
  5. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    This bike is based on the bloody BMW philosophy! No frame? Bloody hell. Next thing is a bloody boxer sticking out the sides. Like the bloody german motorcycles...

6. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

Can you point me to the specific off road evidence to which you refer??? :huh

I see dirt roads and a 8" water crossing, nothing a GSXR1000 couldn't do with full fairings undamaged. :lol3
  7. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:
    I don't refer to any 'specific offroad evidence'. If I showed you pictures of the new ADV doing 5' airs, you would just point out that you can do that on bike XYZ.
    I won't be able to please or appease you Navin, so I'm not gonna try. Sorry.

In my opinion, and that's all it is, these pictures show the new bike being ridden in ways that would be at or above the skill levels of many/most of the target audience.

I personally would make a few minor mods, such as the skid plate, and dirt-ride the shit out of that bike. The one change that KTM could make for me over the current 950/990 is to give it a better turning radius. I have trouble with tight swight backs on the current bikes. I have a technique for uphill switchbacks but downhills just aren't possible and that is after modifying my steering stops to get every degree of turn possible.
  8. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

Yeah, OK. :rofl

It's no more capable that any Vstrom or Verseys from the pics I've seen. You made the claim, I thought I'd missed the pic but no, it ain't there.

Maybe when you derestrict it to 180 HP it'll be better in the tight trail switchbacks! :lol3
  9. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    If low pipes are so bad...

[​IMG]

I'm confused...
  10. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do the new bikes come with a fully stocked chase truck with unlimited sponsorship paid parts and team of mechanics??? :ear
  11. idahoskiguy

idahoskiguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1

12. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  13. Katoom72

Katoom72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Because rally bikes are build to last for years, right?
  14. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    So you guys want rally bike performance, but you want it to last like a v-strom. Once again I'm confused.

[​IMG]

Seems like that would do the trick...

I mean it's not like you've got to add a skid plate to a 990... That piece of AL and plastic does a great job right?
  15. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    Tahoeacr has his eye on one of the 2013's, which means he'll be pumping it to 200+hp soon enough...:lol3
  16. Katoom72

Katoom72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We actually want the best compromise possible.

Can't judge on the 1190 but at first glance the 950/990 is the best compromise so far. I actually hope i'm wrong tho. :1drink
    And no i don't want v-strom characteristics on my machine, it has to be fun and exiting...not boring.
  17. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    and a short of looking at the stats and pictures you know this bike won't deliver?

I like my 950, not planning on buying a 1190 (at least not any time soon) but history has shown me that KTM makes better and better bikes each year. Some of the 2012 off road bikes are by far the best they've _ever_ made. I'd be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

One of the reasons I'm not interested in it is all the electronics not something I want on an adventure bike.
  18. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    I don't know about you guys, but an Adventure bike can do it all, not just Ricky Rally Racer. Some inmates here can and have shown how well they work at speed offroad, just not me. I'll see what a year of user and owners reviews turn up on this new bike. That extra power is a siren song to many of us I'm sure. :getiton The 9*0's are hell-for-stout and mine has taken many hard hits in the desert and mountains and just pick it up and go. We'll see how the new ones do.

Pardon sully'ing up this 1190 thread, but here's what I would look for the new bike to do as well as the 9*0's -- from a few trips on my 990, and one borrowed one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:lol3
    [​IMG]
  19. Yascher

Yascher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't worry Cyborg, if there is a bike- there are always people to turn it into something special!!! and sure it will do all the old one was able and maybe a bit more on top:D
  20. crtahoe

crtahoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From what I can see KTM is just developing products the market wants and will pay for. The "Adventure" segment is really one of the few that is seeing sales increases, the manufacturers see that and are delivering new or updated products in spades, witness BMW, Yamaha, Suzuki, Triumph, Ducati etc. With regard to KTM its important to realize the "Adventure" segments has a number of sub-segments that range from hard core dirt to pavement cruisers and KTM offerings are designed to sell as many as possible within the segment while leveraging their brand name. I like the progression of the products and yes there are some bikes that will ride Death Valley and others that will cruise Highway 1, its all good.