REVIEWS for CBDR film?

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by OlyRider, Jan 15, 2013.

1. OlyRider

OlyRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn't get to see it.

For those that did, how does the route/scenery compare to WA and UT?

Thanks!
  2. D-Stylz

D-Stylz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. dukegnarley

dukegnarley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the route is supposedly easier terrain than the WABDR, and the views looked great. Only issue is that it's high altitude, so watch out for altitude sickness and carb jetting.
  4. dammitdave

dammitdave Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The scenery on the route is just fantastic but as d'gnarley says it's really high and it's really steep and treeless so no place to camp. The cinematography and still photos were world class. I think the dvd would be entertaining and a valuable tool for planning a trip to the area. Altitude sickness is clearly something you need to be able to deal with on this trip. It would be a shame to budget the time and money to go and have the trip spoiled. My $.02, dd
  5. hoebster

hoebster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was there and bought the map and DVD before the presentation. I promote them doing this stuff, but thought there were too many people interviews as opposed to go pro footage of more trail. I know editing takes time, but throw in some uncut shots of balls to the wall interesting spots along the way to make us drool more. Other than that nice work, and glad to donate to the cause through my purchases.
    I do wonder about sections in Colorado which are great riding under 10,000 feet elevation.
  6. Dorian

Dorian huge carbon footprint

Oddometer:
    Years ago a group of us lowlanders spent a week dualsport/single track riding a lot of the same stuff in the COBDR DVD - up to ~12,000'. We got there a few days before the ride (Colo-500) and stayed in Snowmass -altitude appx. 8,000' - and hiked around for a few days to acclimate to the altitude before the ride. Drank LOTS of water and were judicious with the adult beverages. Didn't have any altitude sickness etc but there isn't a lot of O2 up there! Any semi-challenging trails had me huffing and puffing big time!

I'm sure a person's general fitness level has a lot to do with how well you get on in that environment. And we didn't camp at high elevations - we stayed at hotels every nite - so we never spent multiple days at 10,000' - 12,000' elevation.

Maximum elevation in the Rockies is high (12,000'ish) compared to riding here in Washington's Cascades, but the net gain is about the same; appx. 5 to 6,000'. Here we start near sea level and go up. There they start at 5,000' and go up.

- Dorian
  7. Lumberjeff

Lumberjeff River City MC

Oddometer:
    I went to the South Sound show. I thought that it was more intertaining then the WABDR movie. Movie wise I think they have gotten better each time. It would have been nice to see some more on bike Go Pro footage though. It was also dissapointing to not see more bikes in the parking lot. I think only 4 or 5 of us rode to the movie that night.
  8. Dorian

Dorian huge carbon footprint

Oddometer:
    I agree Jeff, I think the BDR videos have gotten better each time as well.

Good for you that rode your bikes to the show. Wish I could but I don't do night on my bike these days. One good eye with waning night vision & marginal depth perception = drive the pick-up after dark :p3rry

- Dorian
  9. The Rev

The Rev ridefast, takechances Supporter

Oddometer:
    This one was highly entertaining to me. I laughed more in this one than all the others combined. Sterling keeps getting better at what he does, and the fellers are just riding to beat the band. All in all, much grooviness.:D
  10. Danodemotoman

Danodemotoman Have MC will ride

Oddometer:
    SSBMW in Fife WA on the 12th, was a good show. A good overview of the ride. The sand was short section not like UT.
    As said, the high altitude can sicken one severely. I recall it was mentioned alcohol, even used moderately will make this worse.
  11. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I enjoyed it. Really made me feel like I should add it to the bucket list, either the CBDR or the Continental Divide.

As for the altitude, though the BDR folks recommend going South-to-North, it would seem that us flatlanders could get some altitude acclimation by going North-to-South on the Utah BDR then cutting over and doing the CBDR. The altitude profiles are on the Butler maps. The Utah BDR is 90% between 5000 and 10,000 feet so a week at those elevations would help a lot.

But you'd need more than a few days off work to do this.