'81 C70 Passport

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by Mendodave, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Mendodave

Mendodave Road Scholar Supporter

Oddometer:
    yippee!

I got one!

It was in a travel trailer, the person I got it from was given it by the new trailer owner, apparently they had no idea it was in there.

A real trailer queen, only 4908 miles, but boy it got some sun. The leg shield was in pieces, very sun struck, however, virtually NO rust.

It still has CA blue plates, last sticker is 1991. I have no papers, but I seem to recall that any blue plate special like this is off the books.

no pictures yet, it is stuffed into an out-building awaiting parts.
    Paid $300, all parts need to bling it back to Queen status were another $300.

SCORE!

this will be my new commuter scooter, the G/S doesn't even get warm if I ride it to work, not far enough. My commute is 7 miles each way, half on Hwy 1...so...a one gallon tank full should get me to work and back for almost two weeks!

Mendo
  2. petefromberkeley

petefromberkeley -

Oddometer:
    Nice catch.

If you remember, do let us know if 'blue plate specials" are off the books and registerable. I have one I may put back in the system this summer (unless it's too much trouble- the bike ain't worth much).
  3. redprimo

redprimo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a pair of Ct90's with black plates that were still in the system when I bought the bikes a year ago. Both of my bikes had been continuously regiestered or put on non-op which is why they were still in the system. I also have a few other older bikes and I have been tryng to get year of issue plates for all of them. It seems that wether on not the plate is in the system is more a matter of when it was last registered not what color it is. Tthere is a DMV form you use for year of issue plates that are no longer in the system so you can keep them rather then having the DMV issue a new plate. I can't remember but I think there is a small one time fee.
  4. Mendodave

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Red, I'd like to keep the same plate. I will be heading up to our local DMV Friday morning to see what the fees will be.

Mendo
  5. hugemoth

hugemoth Bad Motorscooter

Oddometer:
    You'll be the envy of the town when gas prices hit $5 per gallon. That's one of the most fuel efficient vehicles ever made.
  6. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have an '81 as well. Today I am going to do its first full tune up, ever. I do change the oil and a few other things. It has 12,000 miles and runs fine although lately it doesn't "pull" as well (ha-ha) on the hills so I am doing the oil, points, plug, condenser. I did the valves for the first time about a year ago, they were still in spec and the points were still 1/2 good. 116-122 mpg. Best ever: 130 mpg.
  7. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray Bastardconquistador Supporter

Oddometer:
    Let's get some pictures ladies and gents!

:wink:
  8. redprimo

redprimo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As per recomendations on the CT forum I put Rotella T6 5/40 in my Ct's when I changed the oil and it was such a dramatic change it was like I had done a clutch job, but more important than what flavor of oil is cleaning the oil screen.
  9. Mendodave

Oddometer:
    Here is what my $300 got me.

there are some parts missing, yes...but a good battery, at least!
    these need the headlight to absorb the extra electricity so I haven't tried to start it yet. All the bits will be here on Friday, but I am still missing the chain case, these normally have an enclosed drive chain. $100 on line, in the right color too, but I am hoping for cheaper via fleaBay

[​IMG]

sorry about the crap photo, I am tired

Mendo
  10. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray Bastardconquistador Supporter

Oddometer:

Cool ride! I am looking into getting something similar as soon as I find it with some sort of title.
  11. mblotz

mblotz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i have 2 passports, a 80 and 81. my 81 had 246 or miles on it when i got it, think i got 800 on it now. i fricken love these bikes.
  12. Mendodave

Oddometer:
    Whew...:wink:

considering I already dumped the $$ into it...

Not stolen, not on DMV records!

Yahoooooooooo!

of course, I have to haul it back up to FB so the CHP can sign off on the VIN, but heck, dodged another bullet!

Parts all here today, but no time to work on it until next week.

Mendo
  13. Mendodave

Oddometer:
    DMV was $37, whew! :clap

everything is working except the electric start, which is not unusual on these.

I will button it back up and take some photos tonight or tomorrow night.

what a great old ride!

Mendo
  14. FatTirePlease

FatTirePlease Still rollin'

Oddometer:
    I'll bet it was Eric that handled the DMV paperwork!!!! Only DMV guy I EVER had good luck with! :deal
  15. Mendodave

Oddometer:
    but no, it was another DMV person

I have run sooooo many bikes through Eric.

My R80 G/S was purchased in Germany, ridden all over Europe, shipped to Toronto, ridden across Canada and down to Mendocino, then stored with all Jacks other bikes, any time he rode it he swapped plates off another BMW...this went on for years, the G/S was never registered stateside.

I went to the DMV, told Eric the truth, he said sign this, pay this, outa there.

Unfortunately, he is retiring this year, off to make some real money he said.

Mendo
  16. Mendodave

Oddometer:
    sure is a beaut...

[​IMG]