The 1200 Tiger Explorer Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by dutchie, Sep 17, 2010.

?

Explorer or Explorer/XC

1. Explorer

2. Explorer/xc

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. TAMPAJIM

TAMPAJIM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My front tire started squaring off at 2,000 miles, by 5,000 miles it was so bad I changed it out for a Pilot Road 3 trail. That tire now has 7,000 miles on it and looks like it could go at least another 5,000.

The rear picked up a big nail at 1,800 miles and was changed out for a Pilot road 3 non-trail. I changed it out (PR3 trail) at the 10,000 miles service due to two nails (one patched, one plugged) but still had some good rubber on it..

So other than my rear wheel is a nail magnet I don't have an answer as to how long a rear tire will go.
  2. shaner1100gs

shaner1100gs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have around 9200 miles on the stock tires. I'll be getting a new set soon. The center of the rear is down to the wear bars.

Shane
  3. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think TKC 80 front and Heidenau K60 rear may be the ticket. You should think about doing your trip earlier to make D2D. I did it last year and would do it again this year, but a work trip prevents. I got 3000 out of the rear TKC and still has a little life left and the front is just starting to square off.

I ride a 955i. I am going to try the Mitas E07 Dakar, but won't have any feedback for over a year. Going to mount it and a TKC 80 front in a month. got the TKC 80 half off last month. Don't know if I'll come back to the states for my R&R or rent a bike in Germany.

Good luck on your trip. If you want some tips on places to hit up send me a PM. The Motorcycle Shop in Anchorage is a great shop. You can make arrangements ahead of time to have tires waiting for you. Do the Alcan from the east. I drove it last May when I moved up here and it was worth the drive.
  4. gregdee

gregdee Motocampist

Oddometer:
    Got the radar detector setup and working. Went out for an afternoon ride today despite it being in the 30's with snow flurries. Here's a shot of the setup.

[​IMG]
    The radar detector is sitting on an Adaptive mount which is now available with a half inch bar clamp, a size that fits the bars that make up the windscreen support bracket. The mount is sturdy and is made completely of aluminum. The top plate is isolated with rubber pads which supposedly dampen the vibrations some. I attached the radar detector using a piece of Velcro and it is a solid mount - the adhesive starts to peel away before the Velcro actually starts to break free. Not sure if this will be a long term solution but it works for now. The audio output is directed to the Sena SR10 hub you can see on the left side of the image. The hub transmits to my Sena headset via Bluetooth. The SR10 is secured to the lower part of the windscreen frame with a rubber strap. The cable runs in from behind so you cannot see it in this image. There is a little blue light that flashes to let you know its on. There are two Aux input jacks on the unit so the other will be the audio out from the GPS when I get the mount for that installed. I pre-wired the power when I ran the power for the radar detector and zip tied all that out of the way below the radar detector for now. The little button you see on the display just above the spedo is the mute button. Comes in handy when a detected signal is on for a while.

So far so good and I am pleased with the setup.
  5. Tropical Bird

Tropical Bird From the front line

Oddometer:
    Radar detector....sigh....they are illegal in our nazi state of Australia...if you are caught with one, it is a BIG fine...

Anyway, I installed my Givi rack yesterday - better than the SW-Motech one, as the box is closer to you. I never carry pax, so that is fine.

[​IMG]

I have a 33L Givi box. Not too big...

[​IMG]

Have the OEM GPS mount wired into the rear top box power connection and the Madstad screen fitted - great! I can ride with my visor up at 100 km/hr.

[​IMG]
  6. TAMPAJIM

TAMPAJIM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For years I resisted putting a tail box on my bike- thought they looked "Bumble Butt" :huh

But I put one on my Explorer "temporarily" for a road trip and it never came back off. Don't know how I managed all those years without one. Much more convenient than having to deal with permanently mounted panniers for normal riding around. :clap

Function over form wins again
  7. Voluhzia

Voluhzia iExplorer

Oddometer:
  8. sleepyOwl

sleepyOwl Long timer

Oddometer:
    United Kingdom of HIS Majesty's Tax Collectors
    traded my Multi 1200 and had my Tiger delivered last week. Fitted the MRA Black touring screen from day one. Boxes of additional farkles in the garage to fit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Waiting for delivery of the Hepco black xplorer panniers and topbox

[​IMG]
  9. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:
    Those will look real nice on your already sweet bike! Curious, what was the reasoning to trade the MS for the Explorer?
  10. sleepyOwl

sleepyOwl Long timer

Oddometer:
    I loved the Multi but wanted a more simplistic bike with a smoother power delivery. I also wanted a key! My girlfriend loves the smoother power as her legs kept lifting off the pegs when accelerating on the Multi.

Plus, I do like a new toy every couple of years!
  11. ZZ4Blazer

ZZ4Blazer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    UGH! I love those cases. Especially the topcase. But refuse to pay that much for them. I was leaning towards the stocker, or even the trax top. But, they dont look like theyd fit my fly fishing gear in there. Which, is primarily why I want one. My boots, vest and waders are a little bulky.
  12. gregdee

gregdee Motocampist

Oddometer:
    As far as I know, in the States radar detectors are not allowed in Washington D.C. and on military installations. Sucks, cuz I work on an Air Force Base and they're pretty serious about their speed limits - 25 mph in some spots and 15 mph going out the gate on the way home. But in OZ don't you have like 4000 miles between towns? There can't be that many cops sitting around out in the bush waiting to nab you. Besides, according to Paul Carter in the book Don't Tell Mum I Work on the Rigs (She Thinks I am a Piano Player in a Whore House) there are way too many kangaroos on the roads there to be speeding anyway. <yp=allfixedpriceitemtypes&var=sbar" paul="" carter}<="" a=""> </yp=allfixedpriceitemtypes&var=sbar">:D I still can't believe that dude rode a diesel bike all the way around OZ.

But seriously, could you give us your impression of the OEM GPS mount? A picture of the attachment would be helpful. I am currently using the Garmin mount for my Montana with RAM products. This looks fine on my '02 KLR but the fit and finish of the Adaptive Mount that I am using for the radar detector is much nicer, so much so that I am considering getting another one for the GPS so I can place it directly over the instrument cluster rather than running the mount from the handlebar. But before I do that I'd like to see what the OEM part looks like.

Cheers,
    Greg
    <yp=allfixedpriceitemtypes&var=sbar" paul="" carter}<="" a="">
    </yp=allfixedpriceitemtypes&var=sbar">
  13. gregdee

gregdee Motocampist

Oddometer:
    I really dig the boxes but a black windscreen that big? Seriously? Can you see anything through that? I am having enough trouble getting used to looking through the light smoke Madstad and it's not much darker than the clear stock windscreen. When standing I am fine but trying to read anything directly in front of me through any windscreen is disconcerting. Looks tits though. :evil
  14. sleepyOwl

sleepyOwl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe I'm just used to it as I had the same screen on my Multi. I will get a picture later from the seat. My riding is 98% on road so if anything is in the field of vision of the screen its too late and time to kiss my ass goodbye :D
  15. Tropical Bird

Tropical Bird From the front line

Oddometer:
    Hello Greg

Yes, it is many, many miles between towns here. The roos can be far more nasty than the cops, for sure!

:D

The OEM GPS mount is a piece of CNC machined art. Beautiful.

It puts the GPS just in the right spot.

Here are a couple of pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. METIGER

METIGER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am a Triumph man through and through so I am not interested in whether or not the Tiger Explorer is good or bad as there are no really bad bikes made these days . I just want to know who has gone from the 1050 Tiger to the Explorer and did they make the right choice . I currently have the 1050 and have the chance to get a good deal on the Explorer .
  17. littlefield

littlefield Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had an 07 Tiger 1050 and now ride a 1200 Explorer. The Explorer has a superior drivetrain. Only negative I see is the fuel economy drops more quickly than the 1050 if you ride it hard. The suspension is better as far as turning and tracking through the curves but less plush. Triumph managed to replace the super easy to remove 1050 tank with one that requires about 20 screws and some crazy fuel equalizing tubes be removed. Hasn't used a drop of oil and I haven't had any of the engine noise problems some folks have. I've put a Russell Day Long on mine, some are pleased with the stock seat. All in all this is easily the nicest riding bike I've ever owned.
  18. Big Jon

Big Jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice garage TB! Is the inside of your house that clean?
  19. M Bouthillette

M Bouthillette Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Its' here !!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry about the garbage bins, it was getting dark and cold...
  20. Big Jon

Big Jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    She looks great! Be sure to give us updates on how the K60s handle on & off road. I know of several of us with the Explorers that air seriously considering them...

Spring is just around the corner.:clap