New and improved KTM690 WUNDERFEST

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by crankshaft, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    There's something wrong with your cooling system if you keep overheating like that. If the fan is kicking on it should never overheat regardless of what temp switch you have in there. I've ridden my bike in the middle of summer in 100+ temps crawling around rocks and never overheated it.
  2. Ranies

Ranies Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine overheated/showed 12 bars when I did 15 min reset procedure since I was inside house, never again.

That because dealer forgot to plug the fan connector after they had the engine out.

If you are going to change the fan switch Ive got a 88 degrees Suzuki LTZ 400 2006 switch, but have not fitted it yet. If you google you will see that many folks have this one.
  3. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    The lower temp fan switch is about $45 from your local suzuki dealer and should be the one from a LTZ400 quad iirc. If your temperature gage is flashing then things are dangerously hot...unless you have a temperature sensor problem. If the fan is not coming on then one of two things is wrong:

1. The coolant isn't actually that hot and the temp senor for the gage is bad
    2. The coolant is that hot, and the fan switch is no good..or someone forgot to plug the fan back in.

My gage was getting that hot because my bike blew the headgasket and was consuming vast quantities of coolant as a fuel additive.
  4. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Never, and I've ridden mine in summer while the radiator had a leak. It would easily get down to half full and still never saw the temp warning light.
  5. BK.RD.RNR

BK.RD.RNR Torque Stick

Oddometer:

I would also add for consideration;

3. make sure the fins on your radiator are not plugged up with mud/ bugs etc..

The only time my 08 seemed to run consistently hot, I noticed mud in the fins. Don't use a pressure washer to blast them clean if you think you have a similar condition, you could damage the radiator.

Instead, be patient with a garden hose, and rinse the fins thoroughly until it seems the water is running through with little resistance.
  6. Aaron from Texas

Aaron from Texas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a stock seat taking up TOO MUCH ROOM in their garage?

I run a Renazco that the PO had on there. Was curious how the stocker would fair for in town jaunts and when I'm rarely seated offroad...
  7. motoged

motoged Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Kirk,
    If you want to know how the stock seat feels, get a 3' length of 2X4, wrap it with barb-wire, and install it.... the Renazco will feel better at the end of the day :lol3

I DO have a stock muffler I will sell for slightly below dealer price :wink:
  8. milzispete

milzispete is it supposed to look like that?

Oddometer:
    The stock muffler probably offers about the same levels of comfort to sit on as a standard seat. I's a 2 for 1 deal
  9. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:

almost...take a 2 x 4, pound...glue some 50 grit sand paper to it.
  10. Ranies

Ranies Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I guess the green coolant dealer had on my bike is Motorex coolant. I lost some coolant because the hose on radiator cap came off while riding because the hose was bent away from radiator and popped off when full turn.
    My Motorex dealer just shut down the shop, so can I mix with other brands or is that a nono like with the oil?
  11. BK.RD.RNR

BK.RD.RNR Torque Stick

Oddometer:

You don't want the stock seat, as others have pointed out. Although, I did notice some improvement on the 2012's.

I do have a corbin seat taking up too much room though. They seem to sit lower than the Renazco's, but still a big improvement over stock.

Pm me if you are interested.
  12. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got the stock cover and foam (2012), after a Seat Concepts conversion ...

I'm on the other side of the world but I guess it's postable (light) ...
  13. Aaron from Texas

Aaron from Texas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No thanks. I've had Corbin's on other bikes. They're great, but the Renazco and stocker already sit too low. I've got a 36" inseam...

Thanks, but I'm looking to try it out with minimal investment...
  14. MeinMotorrad

MeinMotorrad Long timer

Oddometer:
    What are peoples thoughts on the Rally Raid Products 95Nm rear spring - has anybody got one on their bike?

I'm about two weeks off a 1-2 year trip around europe plus Morocco and Western Sahara. The bike will be heavy with luggage and aux tanks. I haven't weighed all my stuff yet so I don't know what it's going to work out at. When I'm off road I wont be trying to break any speed records I'll just be taking it easy and nursing the bike - I'm wondering if the uprated rear spring is wise investment for my kind of riding or not.

Any advice or thoughts much appreciated:ear
  15. The First Heretic

The First Heretic .

Oddometer:
    I topped off with Prestone Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant
  16. motoged

motoged Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lee,
    Thank you for the intel and links.....:clap :clap
  17. shipwrek12001

shipwrek12001 Shipwrek

Oddometer:
    anything I need to know before putting on 2" risers? clutch and brake lines ok?
  18. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You need to rotate the throttle so that the cables are pointing down. Everything else shoud be fine.
  19. shipwrek12001

shipwrek12001 Shipwrek

Oddometer:

thank you!!!:thumb
  20. slidefighter

slidefighter Gather it up, keep on...

Oddometer:
    You're welcome, Ged. Hope someone finds something there they can eventually use.

By the way, where do stock 690 exhausts go to die? There must be a 1,000 of them piled up somewhere being eaten on by catalytic termites or something! Is my brand new one good for absolutely nothing?

P.S. I don't have a boat.

Lee...