Bulk Kerosene Retailers?

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Pro_Marinero, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Pro_Marinero

Pro_Marinero Carbon Sasquatch

Oddometer:
    I'm in need of some k-1 kerosene for my shop heater. I would rather not pay $11/gallon at the hardware store nor choke on diesel fumes. Anybody know of a place between Ellensburg and Seattle that sells the clear stuff by the gallon out of the pump? Thanks.
  2. DLFLHT

DLFLHT I'm a little fuzzy

Oddometer:
    I gave up on trying to find bulk and get mine at Walmart. They usually stock the 2.5 gallon jugs for $20.97 - still spendy at over $8/gallon, but it's clean burning.
  3. Mr Dual Sport

Mr Dual Sport Is no longer on ADV

Oddometer:
    Maybe a Pacific Pride main office/distribution center? The one here in Bend (Bend Oil) sells it from the pump and you can pay them cash.
    A home heating oil distributor may have it as well.
    It's still spendy even at the pump.
  4. Faustus

Faustus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I get mine at the Clearview True Value...$6/gallon. Byob and they fill it for you.
  5. Mr Dual Sport

Oddometer:
  6. peterman

peterman cop magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    I remember ,,we talked about it as kids,,folks being shocked at the price of diesel and kerosene taking a 2 cent jump all at once! (late 50's)
    nine cents to eleven for diesel,:huh,and lamp oil was within a cent or two higher per gallon.
    I seem to remember 13 cents for kerosene being an outrage :eek1:eek1 when I was around 10 or so yrs. old.(how dare they?)
    But then,,gasoline was around 25 to 30 cents at the Gull Station,,
    [edit]
    I still keep kerosene lanterns and hurricane lamps among my trusted items, and so, a supply of the juice to fill them.
    But mostly, I keep kerosene in the shop for use as a cutting aid/ lubricant for machining aluminum. If you ever need to drill and tap or mill aluminum,,squirt a bit of lamp oil on there,,you'll be surprised at the difference it makes.
    dammitdave, rg sw wa. and Ride Now like this.
  7. Pro_Marinero

Oddometer:
    100 gallon minimum order.

Got 5 gallons at Home Depot for $44. Not as painful but still throbs. :eek1
  8. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Next time you might try your local Cenex. Or go down to a feed store and ask there. Someone there would know where to get kerosene.

In Moses Lake, you can buy it in bulk at the Cenex near the intersection of Highway 17 and Broadway Extended. They sell Mineral Spirits too for your parts cleaner. And Stove Oil for your train. :evil There must be somewhere similar in Ellensburg you can get that stuff.

When did they get a Home Depot there? And where is it?? :ear
  9. Squishy

Squishy Elastically-kinematic.

Oddometer:
    That's only 2 drums of it man...just really big drums. Keep you going for 5 years, & you'd also be the go to guy for everyone else wanting better priced Kero. :D
    He'll you could even hold a winter ride camp...a fire pit with a really steady flame! :huh
  10. Mr Dual Sport

Oddometer:
    Damn that suxs. Bend Oil is a distributor just like them and they'll fill a 5 gallon can for me. Guess they're all different. If was worth a try! MasterMarine is on the right track.
  11. Pro_Marinero

Oddometer:
    Well bummer. I talked to my dad about it and he said he could've gotten Jet-A from A-1 if needed (he knows the owner). That would have been a little cheaper and it basically burns the same.

Unfortunately the Cenex here went independent a few years ago and is now just Midstate Co-Op. That was the first place I called and struck out. I know all of the feed/hardware guys here and they all were thinking the store bought scam cans as well. I'm really surprised how hard this stuff is to find now. Maybe the 100 gallon idea has some legs. :deal
  12. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hear you. I went camping a couple of years ago at Foggy Dew and I forgot to bring along some white gas for my coleman stove. I remembered before I got too far and stopped at a few stores along the way. Every time I would ask about it, the clerk would direct me to small propane bottles. They did not know what Coleman Fuel was...
  13. shrubitup

shrubitup Uncouth Sloth

Oddometer:
    Ha ha and then some guy with a propane Coleman stove shows up and cooks your hot dog - I think.

To Pro_Marinero, if you haven't opened up the Home Depot can just return it and get the Jet A that you want. :evil
  14. what broke now

what broke now Petroleum Brother Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have burned #1 diesel in torpedo heaters without trouble, the supplier told me it's basically kero. Olsen fuel in ballard has it in bulk. Bring a bunch of cans, they fill them, no minimum.
  15. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    I thought this might be appropriate. I used to use no 1 fuel oil in my space heater. And have used diesel in an oil furnace.
    It appears kerosene and jet fuel have less sulfur.

Jet Fuel type A basically Kerosene, or filtered #1 oil cleaned up to higher specifications including very fine filtering (through diatomaceous earth) and a water removal step.
    <LI class=LI_Spaced>Kerosene is #1 oil which has been filtered to clean it up. Sold at ridiculously higher prices in stores as "lamp oil" this material may have deodorants or fragrances added. A traditional name for kerosene is "coal oil", though it is in fact a petroleum product and is not made from coal. <LI class=LI_Spaced>#1 fuel oil is more refined than #2 oil, has a lower pour point (or gel point or waxing point), is less viscous, has a higher septane rating and contains fewer BTU's per gallon than #2 heating oil. <LI class=LI_Spaced>Diesel fuel used in diesel powered vehicles and some other engines, is basically #2 home heating oil. But in the U.S. and other countries, home heating oil has dye added in order to distinguish it from un-taxed or lower-taxed fuels from un-dyed and higher-taxed diesel fuels used for over-the-road vehicles.
  16. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used to spend a few months every year in remote geology tent camps we used #1 dsl(aka stove oil) in our kerosine heaters. Works fine. #2 dsl smokes/soots up too much not a good plan. You might check out Jet-A at an airport but likely not cheap. All it is is a cleaner more refined kerosine which is just a more refined #1 dsl which is a more refined #2 dsl. Difference between Jet-A and kerosine isn't as much as the difference between #1 and #2 dsl. Any commercial marina should have #1 though.
  17. hugemoth

hugemoth Bad Motorscooter

Oddometer:
    Jet A is $3.95 per gallon at Bowers Field Airport, Ellensburg, WA. Take a jug over and fill it up. BTW aviation fuel prices can be looked up at airnav.com.
  18. BlackdogADV

BlackdogADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have 50 gallons of it for a good price.
  19. Temblor

Temblor n00b

Oddometer:
    Resurrect post, ONLY place I could find bulk Kerosene in North of Seattle area is labled "Red" which apparently should only be used in engines, or shop heaters in garages car ports or ventilated areas or new construction? (Not recommended for indoor home heaters) at Miller Rentals, Highway 99 Edmonds, (South Snoco) $6.95 Gallon as of April 2022
    Walmart has cheapest gallons of K1 clear, at $10.95
    Home Depot lowes is $12.50 gallon
    anyone else find clear K1 at the pump or bulk ? ( I am specifically looking in North Seattle South Snoco)