The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Red Dust

Red Dust Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Took my new bike for a spin after I picked it up, verdict: need shorty screen, foam grips since 12 hours later my hands are still sore otherwise a fantastic bike!
    Just a question: why make a bike that weight almost a ton with a plastic gear rack that can not hold many pounds, does not make sense on a touring bike.
    Jealous at people that think this bike is smooth and got no bad vibrations, wish you could feel my hands at the moment but I`m confident with some engine break in and some adjustments it will be better in the future.
    Overall better bike than I thought it would be, great in the bends and good power.
  2. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I generally ride wearing bicycle full finger gel gloves. They're light form fit great and have
    gel inserts in the palm. Use the fingerless when it heats up.

[​IMG]
  3. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats on your new bike.

The vibes should get better, but I wouldn't expect miracles.

One thing that exacerbates the vibe problem on a new S10 is Yamaha's ridiculous "avoid prolonged operation above 3900 RPM" break-in recommendation. Conservative riders tend to interpret this basically as keeping the revs below 3900 almost all the time, and the bike isn't terribly happy, especially in stock tune, to take a lot of throttle below 3500. It smooths out greatly above 4K.

If you follow this guideline at all, I'd interpret "prolonged" to mean that you can rev the engine freely during acceleration, just don't cruise on the freeway for a long time above the limit.

Another thing I've noticed is that the S10, perhaps due to the crossplane crank since the crossplane R1 behaves similarly, tends to vibe more with increased throttle rather than increased RPM, so making your power through RPM rather than throttle opening also reduces vibes in general. The only time I notice my S10 vibing much is bucking into a strong headwind or climbing grades at moderate speeds in high gear. Cruising at 90 mph with a tailwind is eerily smooth, like the motor isn't even there.

- Mark
  4. Saso

Saso Happily sporting the DRD4 gene Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's almost like Yamaha didn't want to put much into that rack - they knew the aftermarket would take care of it. Some very cool, beautifully made racks have been designed for this bike.
  5. clint64

clint64 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mark I would agree with your observations about the S10. The bike is much smoother above 4k rpm. I basically came to same working definition of "prolonged" as you and rode during break in just as you described.

Clint
  6. Anticyclone

Anticyclone Out

Oddometer:
    Sync your throttle bodies, mine was a night and day difference after that. It's free and helps smooth things out.
  7. Red Dust

Oddometer:
    Cheers, nice to not be alone with the vibe issue. Yes been told by a friend that sync the throttle bodies help a bit, work shop job? Just installed foam grips which is my first farkle which I will try out shortly.
    Did order a really tough gear rack made in USA which will look great.
    Regarding break in, my B-King I broke in the Motoman way, this one will be somewhere in between, so far only used S mode and been riding it just "normal" and avoiding the same speed but varied the throttle through the gears.
    Will dump the factory oil before 200 km (125 miles) and then dump next as per scheduled maintenance.
    Ride safe!
  8. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1.

Had the opportunity in the last 4300Km of often dead straight slab to get prolonged periods at different revs. The bike was always a bit vibey at 4K. So I sat around there for about 500Km. It smoothed it out a bit believe it or not.

Anyway, I did have a DL1000 in the shed for a while at the same time, and if I started to get a bit whiny I just jumped in that for a while. That soon shut me up. :lol3

The Tedium motor is really sweet. (No it doesn't make enough HP to get the Brits excited). I would be really interested in an XT900Z if it ever comes along.

So in the end 2 x 600cc pots is going to be a bit of a hassle on the power to manage a very big overlapping pulse. And when the motor is tight those pulses are a bit bigger just to overcome friction. At about 6,000Kkm the motor is on the lower edge of the run in curve.

Get cracking..

The little strom is one of those nice small twins, with nice small cylinders. I had an SV for a while and again while it's not a big HP bike the motor was quite a little sweety. It's just marketing being marketing Suzuki are not going to put out a sophisticated chassis to go with it and jack the price up to 15K at any point. Which is a pitty really.
  9. Red Dust

Oddometer:
    Just came in from a ride.
    Did not notice that the foam grips helped any.
    Will do the throttle body sync soon.
    Took it on some dirt roads, never had an ABS bike before and my mate with a GSA always turn it off but man this system works great same as the TC, feels like I`m cheating when riding on dirt roads, can ride quite a bit faster than my DL650 on dirt!
    Seems to be a difficult bike to put heavier end bar weights? The stock ones only weigh 200 grams, will be looking for different ones might have to modify the handlebar?
    Wonder how Nick Sanders could ride this machine 80K k`s with human hands instead of prosthetic rubber hands... They must smooth out the more k`s (miles) you put on the clock.
    The new triple R1 & Adventure bikes (if it will be made) will be interesting in this regard since the Triumph`s triples seems to be smooth.
  10. The Walrus

The Walrus Gone and back again.

Oddometer:
    Shit dude....as the guy who picked up his bike a couple of times on that hill.......

You've spent more money on rebuilding your wheels than I've spent on several bikes.......it's at least 3 times now that I know about.....that is all......:lol3

Oh, BTW.....further proof that it isn't the bike...it's the rider and the ride......
  11. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Guilty as charged. Most know my history of ahh, rim issues? Three times on the front and
    ended up replacing the rear. However it doesn't seem to be a trend with these bikes. I know
    of a couple other rim dings on the Tenere.

Mild section of the White Rim trail did in the GS 1200 front wheel. I wouldn't judge all GS's
    by that either.

From what I've seen your KTM has a better chance of getting damaged banging into
    the other bike on the trailer.:fitz:wink::D
  12. The Walrus

Oddometer:
    Somewhat guilty as charged....I spent my youth in college and working...didn't start riding dirt till I turned 50....so I'm here for a good time, not to stroke my ego....:fitz:wink::D

BTW, cast wheels of any brand will fold like that easily......as anyone knows.....but most spokers hold up much better than the Butterfaced Yammie wheels on the S10....:lol2
  13. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The one given on the internet is how everyone is an authority on everything.:rolleyes:csm

[​IMG]

(before anyone gets it wrong Walrus is a fellow Utard and shit flipping is the norm over in Utardia no harm no foul:D)
  14. Anticyclone

Anticyclone Out

Oddometer:
    Since the KTM pictured above has a tubed tire and was likely still holding air, I can only assume it was stopped due to a bad fuel pump or water pump or mysterious electrical gremlin, etc...
  15. The Walrus

Oddometer:

And that tire is still holding air.......thanks to the tubed design......like a real dirt bike....:csm
  16. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Now Anti, let's not get all smug about our Teneres. What about that off idle hiccup and the
    optimistic speedo??? The shame of it all.
  17. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost count of the amount of flats on the last event I went on. None had anything to do with rims, just everything else :lol3..
    No flats on the tubeless until rims were bent.

I assume now that a tubed tubeless design would be the go. :scratch
  18. The Walrus

Oddometer:
    I'm sure it was a photo op.......:1drink

Rather than a real stoppage 400 miles south of the border......:jose:kbasa:pope

[​IMG]
  19. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Aww you know me, I would have just used the rear wheel to get out of there.:wink::D

[​IMG]
  20. The Walrus

Oddometer:
    OK, you can have the last word now.....:wink: