Honda PC800 - Pacific Coast riders - opinions and pics please

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by The PacRat, Apr 18, 2008.

1. RandyB

RandyB .

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a plastic wrapped Airhead. Except maybe the maint part.
    ironcast likes this.
  2. Spikehead

Spikehead Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'3" also, and found the seat to peg distance tight. This caused me knee pain after 500 miles or so.

3. Spikehead

Oddometer:
    The PC is a far smoother and reliable machine than an airhead. And unlike an airhead, the PC won't eventually put the smackdown on an owner who is a maintenance slacker.

ironcast likes this.
  4. Spikehead

Oddometer:
    Yes, but your mpgs will drop significantly and you will need to push your bike 3/4 miles to the next exit with fuel right after the trip meter clicks over 121 miles.

BTDT

:norton

5. Spikehead

Oddometer:
    10-4.

6. doxiedog

doxiedog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. Spikehead

Oddometer:
    If, by "Iron Butt" you mean a Saddle Sore or Butt Burner, yes. But if you mean the Iron Butt Rally, no. There are much better options IMO.

8. tjhess74

tjhess74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    my 89 never got less than 200 miles per tank. once i got the gauge adjusted properly it was very reliable. the most i ever got on a tank was 216 miles...all interstate at 75 mph.

+1 on the weak electrics. the electix r/r was a great upgrade from the stock. it had enough power for my cruise control and thats all i cared about!
  9. LeeMan

LeeMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I sold the GT and bought the lighter Tiger it turned out to be a little to small for both my wife and I so last summer for $4,600 I bought an immaculate ’96 Pacific Coast (6,000 miles, new tires, fresh fluids) for her. She tried the PC and while she liked the looks (figures) she thought it was just too big. So I got ready to sell it – hell I just bought the Tiger and after owning a GT and a few other MANLY bikes I couldn’t be seen on no GIRLY bike! (No offense Vermin – you and Cack look real sweet together)
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Fall is not a great time to sell a bike in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Minnesota</st1:place></st1:State> so as the weather turned cooler I decided to sell the PC in the spring and then started to ride it, instead of the Tiger, on my 50 mile daily commute. After a few weeks I found that the PC with its great wind protection, huge trunk that could hold all my winter gear and really smooth 800cc v-twin averaging 50 mpg wasn’t so bad after all.

<o:p></o:p>
    Long story short – over the winter I’ve put 3,000 miles riding the PC in temps down to 15 degrees (full Gerbing gear of course) and the bike is the best commuter I’ve ever owned. I’m 6’2” and 210 lbs so I added a taller/wider Clearview windscreen and had the seat firmed up by Sargent. No final drive issues, no snatchy throttle, FI or mapping issues (carbs), no electrical or mechanical issues and very little maintenance (replaced two plugs and then read in the manual that there were two more – go figure). Even with the 13 year old battery, it starts right up in cold weather and it’ll purr along at 60 mph turning 4,000 rpm all day long. No burnouts, no wheelies, no peg scrapping, no young chicks waving at me – no problem, I’m 54 and I really enjoy riding the GIRLY bike…...the Tiger’s pissed
  10. exoff-roadgoat

exoff-roadgoat Will ride for food

Oddometer:
    No chicks huh? Your aint cruised a 55 and over T park in Fla. latey have you? Man, I can hardly keep the babes off of my handlebars. LeeMan, your bio looks similar to mine. Cushman, 305 scrambler and now the PC. I have been fortunate enough not to own a HD. Good upbringing I guess.
  11. The PacRat

The PacRat I'm that other guy

Oddometer:
    After owning mine for 9 months now I have to say it really is a comfortable, practical, dependable ride. I am 6'2" and have no problems on it.

Having a bike with a trunk spoils you for sure. I can fit a CASE of canned drinks in either side of my trunk, or a load of groceries or a weekends worth of travel gear.

Of course I have never understood the BS you catch on ADV for having a PC800. Seems kinda stupid that someone at a motorcycle-site would make fun of someone for OWNING A MOTORCYCLE. As if a bike is what makes a person. No bigee - my bike doesn't seem to mind a bit!
    mokosai likes this.
  12. Spikehead

Oddometer:
    The 121 miles I referred to were at MT's "reasonable and prudent" speeds, but you still saw better range at +200 than I ever did. Must be my right wrist...

13. vermin

vermin unrepentant thinner

Oddometer:
    The old faithfull PC can really grow on a feller caint it? I have a zook weestrom in the garage and cack in the weeds in alaska and I hate to say it I wish the sitchu was reversed. I had to replace the chain and sprockets on the strom grrrrrr.

By the way does anyone remember if I put water or antifreeze in the Cack before I parked it In anchorage? I am also looking for creative ways to retrieve it if'n anyone wants to go get it and bring it back. I did put stabil in it and rat poison.

hugs and kisses from the Tupperware Terminator

Vermin
  14. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:

My commute is mostly highway with my speedo showing 80 to 85. I normally go about 150 to 160 per tank of just under 4 gallons.
  15. rbsride365

rbsride365 Hi-Viz

Oddometer:
    Hey guys. I'd like to say that as long as you can handle EVERYONE asking you how you like your scooter, it's a great bike. I am fortunate to have an 89 being loaned to me while I rebuild the engine in my car. It has been my only transportation for the last 4 or 5 weeks and I'm in no hurry to get the car done. The trunk is great, mileage is great, weather protection is great... I took a 280 mile trip on it no problem. I'm 6'2" and totally comfortable. It has the Honda tall screen and about 28k on it. New rear tire. Choke cable is a little sticky but works. I'm selling it for my friend when I'm done with it unless I get too attached to let it go. If anyone is interested, let me know. It doesn't appear to have ever been down as the crash bar covers are not scratched at all and it runs like clockwork. I'll probably be ready to part w/ it in another month or so if anyones interested. A bike just isn't in my budget at the moment unfortunately. Oh, and if you keep your toes above the pegs, you don't get wet from mid chest down as long as you are moving and only sprinkled on up top. Great bike. Has 2 different height back rests also.
  16. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got any pictures?? I have always wanted a PC800 !
  17. ALvis?

ALvis? Norton

Oddometer:
    They make excellent beer carriers/coolers.

BTW, this is not my bike.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. Meathammer

Meathammer Saddle Sore

Oddometer:
    I love my 96 PC. It's a great commuter and ok at touring. Not a sporting bike but you can out ride most sport bike riders once the road starts to curve. Wish it came with factory highway pegs , stronger electrical system and a bigger tank. Most Vanilla pudding ride I've ever owned but that can be a good thing when the road is what you want to pay attention to and not the bike you're on.
    ironcast likes this.
  19. drtbkmic

drtbkmic A Real Gem

Oddometer:
    Mine's for sale in the Flea Market if anyone's interested.
  20. Chawlee

Chawlee n00b

Oddometer:
    Picked up my (not gay) cousin's '89 today. He cardiaced out 1.5 years ago and left it in his garage with 12K on odom. It was last registered in '97 and has slight rash on right side, mirror hanging by thin cable and 14 ga., but could be saved with tires, battery, fluids, windshield and the gas tank will need the Eastwood treatment. I figure ±$700 for all + shop manual. I'm sure the bike has seen freezing weather for months on end so what are consequences of poor or bad coolant? (Vermin?)

My wife's been considering a ride and we thought this one might be the one. What do you think? Any ideas? Anyone? Anyone?

I ride:
    '76 R60/6
    '77 R100/7
    2005 Connie
    2007 KLR 650