Lost an MSF RiderCoach This Morning...

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by Ben Carufel, Mar 21, 2011.

1. K. L. Rocket

K. L. Rocket Big bouncy make big happy

Oddometer:
    I've ask the judge my questions via the City Attorney's office, but am open to hearing your questions as well.
  2. lemieuxmc

lemieuxmc Banned

Oddometer:
    PM sent.
  3. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since Paul was an MSF instructor, he knew about the accident chain. Break one link and avoid the accident. Rain was one of the links in his chain, which sadly did not break. This might be the only link that Paul had any control over. Now many of us ride year round, myself included. So we can be a bit defensive about riding in the rain. He did many things right, and the lexis driver had many many more ways to break the chain. This is why I hope they make an example out of the lexis driver, so people think a bit.

I very seldom ride to work in the rain, it will be less frequent now. Break those links

Rod
  4. Capz

Capz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I really hope the driver gets some time for this, even if it was an accident someone died and other lives were also put at risk. The idiot should have been driving for the conditions and looking ahead.
  5. Turkus

Turkus Motorcyclus Unemploy

Oddometer:
    The only way that stops a light sentence from being imposed is to write to the gentleman below and make your voice heard.

I just sent my letter off, have you ?? There is still time left......
  6. PanhandleChuck

PanhandleChuck 3rdRockAdvRider

Oddometer:
    Semper Fi Paul.
  7. K. L. Rocket

Oddometer:
    :devildog Paul's widow, Liz, was a Marine, too. I'm sure she appreciates all the support she's received.

The second attempt to conduct the arraignment is scheduled for next Friday, 3/16/12. As you may recall, the SUV driver hadn't yet hired a lawyer at the 2/15/12 hearing, 11 months after Paul's death, so it was postponed and he was given an additional month's grace.

It's now the last week to express yourself to the judge via the San Diego City Attorney, so please contact:

Andres Carnahan, Deputy City Attorney<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    San Diego City Attorney's Office<o:p></o:p>
    1200 3rd Ave., Ste. 700, San Diego, CA 92101
    acarnahan@sandiego.gov<o:p></o:p>

RE: March 21, 2011 Vehicular Manslaughter of Paul Palika on Interstae 805 in Clairemont Mesa, CA

Thank you!
  8. YnotJP?

YnotJP? Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tried to send an email to the City Attorney, however it did not go thru. It was probably blocked as it was sent from the Philippines.

I was in San Diego last March for the birth of my Grandaughter, and remember this.

I can only hope that he gets the maximum. Over run traffic at 80 mph in the rain, he should not be allowed to drive ever again.
  9. K. L. Rocket

Oddometer:
    PM sent.

10. Turkus

Oddometer:
    I got this e-mail from Liz Palika a few days ago:

Thanks, everyone!
    The attorney said he has an inch high stack of letters and emails for Paul! Yeah!
    He will give the entire stack to the judge at the appropriate time.
    You all don't know how much this means to me.

Liz

The new arraignment is scheduled for next Friday, 3/16/12. .

It's now the last opportunity to express yourself to the judge via the San Diego City Attorney, so please WRITE TODAY !!
    Let's try to add another inch or more to that stack before the trial !!
  11. Turkus

Oddometer:
    Here's the latest from San Diego:

To: Nancy Foote <NANCY.FOOTE@STREETMASTERS.INFO>
    Sent: Friday, March 16, 2012 10:26 PM
    Subject: The arraignment

Hi, Nancy and Walt,

Andreas Carnahan, the district attorney, called today and said the plea will probably be made on Friday April 6, 2012, at 930am in Department 2, 220 Broadway, in San Diego, CA
    Any of Paul's friends who wish to appear and want to make a personal statement should contact him at acarnahan@sandiego.gov.

I know lots of people sent in letters and emails and those will be shared with the judge.
    However, if anyone wants to make a statement, Mr. Carnahan would like to know about it.

Please share!

Thanks.

Liz
  12. K. L. Rocket

Oddometer:
    San Diego City Attorney Invites Personal Appearances and Statements on 9:30am Friday, April 6

3/16/12 Update from Paul's widow, Liz:

"Andreas Carnahan, the district attorney, called today and said the plea will probably be made on Friday April 6, 930am, at Department 2, 220 Broadway, in San Diego. Any of Paul's friends who wish to appear and want to make a personal statement should contact him at acarnahan@sandiego.gov.

I know lots of people sent in letters and emails and those will be shared with the judge. However, if anyone wants to make a statement, Mr. Carnahan would like to know about it.

Please share!

Thanks.

Liz"

Department 2, 220 Broadway, San Diego, CA:

<IFRAME height=350 marginHeight=0 src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=220+Broadway,+San+Diego,+CA&daddr=&hl=en&geocode=&aq=0&oq=220+Broadway,+San+Diego&sll=36.102376,-71.542969&sspn=28.881979,56.25&t=h&mra=ls&ie=UTF8&ll=32.715772,-117.162597&spn=0.006295,0.007482&output=embed" frameBorder=0 width=425 marginWidth=0 scrolling=no></IFRAME>
    <SMALL>View Larger Map</SMALL>
    <SMALL></SMALL>
    <SMALL>(205/great minds...)</SMALL>
  13. Turkus

Oddometer:
    FYI for any of you that were planning on heading to San Diego on Friday 04/06/12:

The court date has been postponed until May 4th. Please pass the word. Thanks.

Liz
  14. K. L. Rocket

Oddometer:
    The May 4 court date has been postponed until May 11.

From Paul's widow Liz' email: "The DA said to have the victim's impact statement ready - which it is - as he believes this will be the final court date - knock on wood - as the young man's attorney has been in touch."
  15. shaddix

shaddix Banned

Oddometer:
    Question:

Looking at that photo, that drivers side door is pretty messed up. An SUV sliding down the freeway at 80mph isn't exactly experiencing maximum deceleration, so how was the impact into the drivers side door so severe without some incorrect judgement? I'm trying to figure out if this really is a no-way-out crash. Obviously we don't have enough information to determine that for sure....
  16. K. L. Rocket

Oddometer:
    We're trying to get it before the court system, then they can figure it out.
  17. K. L. Rocket

Oddometer:
    Nancy Foote and Walt Fulton, Paul's friends and former employers at Streetmasters, were in court again today. Walt sent this email afterward:

"...the defendant's attorney asked the judge for more time for discovery and this request was granted. There is another date in June, but there is no guarnetee that this will be the last, unfortunately."

To recap:
    3/21/11
    "SAN DIEGO -- A motorcyclist is dead after a crash with a Lexus sport utility vehicle on a rain-soaked stretch of Interstate 805 Monday, prompting a significant freeway closure at the height of the morning commute, authorities said.

The fatality on southbound Interstate 805, just north of Balboa Avenue, happened just before 6 a.m., according to the California Highway Patrol.

According to the CHP, the driver of the SUV was traveling too fast for the conditions. The SUV clipped a semi-truck before crossing several lanes and colliding with the motorcycle.

The motorcyclist was thrown nearly 75 feet and killed, the CHP said. The motorcyclist was later identified as Paul Palika of Oceanside.

The CHP said the driver of the SUV is not expected to face charges. The driver was not injured in the collision..."
    http://www.10news.com/news/27262205/detail.html

2/15/12
    ". . ., At the arraignment today, the young man did show up. However, he wanted a public defender but makes too much money for one. So the arraignment was postponed a month so he can hire an attorney."
    http://www.streetmasters.info/paulpalika/index.html
  18. squirtus

squirtus adv in training

Oddometer:
    Just saw this and as a newer rider(past year) I have a high respect for any instructor. I will keep family in prayers
    God bless
  19. K. L. Rocket

Oddometer:
    Today, per Walt Fulton, Paul's friend and former employer:

"It is my understanding that the next court day is July 18, but I don't know the time, yet. This should be the last court appearance. I am told that [the SUV driver] is pleading guilty to manslaughter. All the information I have at this time."
  20. YnotJP?

YnotJP? Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pleading guilty to manslaughter seems like the right thing to do.

It seems all too often the system does not work as it should, lets hope it does this time, and the Judge does what is right, and fair.