All things CAD!

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by McCormack, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Bongolia

Bongolia stop acting

Oddometer:
    We use Tekla for most of our complex 3d structural steelwork modelling.
  2. toolmakering

toolmakering n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    with this contribution I want to introduce myself in this Forum.
    Tried most of available CAD Software.
    My hint for all interested CAD users is Rhinoceros.
    For me it is the best tool for creating and editing Surfaces.
    You can also get a brilliant renderer for realistic looking 3D objects.
    Have fun by trying it. It is easy to learn and you can download an older version for free.
    See you on the road.
    toolmakering
  3. FloridaSteve

FloridaSteve Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been an Autocad / Microstation guy for decades now but tried a lot of strange off brand stuff in the very early days. (late 80's early 90's) so I'm skeptical. So I checked the website (http://www.rhino3d.com/index.htm) and I'd be lying if I didn't admit that Rhino Cad at least looks the business and the price is a steal.... if it works. I imagine that programs like this are great as long as you're in a closed loop. As soon as file sharing becomes important then it's nice to be on an industry standard.

About 2 cent's worth there. and that may be inflated..

4. McCormack

McCormack Cronkite of CSM

Oddometer:
    I've heard good things about Rhino, though have never used it.
  5. toolmakering

toolmakering n00b

Oddometer:
    Advertising of B&W.
    A English loudspeakerkomany.

" Listen and you will see "
  6. RonS

RonS Out there...

Oddometer:
    Never done any CAD work but it'll be necessary given that I'm building a CNC mill. Alibre looks like the perfect solution if one believes the videos on their website. Any reason why someone would not use it for home shop?
  7. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
    I had to laugh when reading this. How true. We used it in conjunction with some third party specification apps for floorplan layouts. I did all the purchasing and hated when they went to subscription, but we barely scratched the surface of its capability and I couldn't justify the costs. We used to upgrade to every other or every third version. R14 to 2000i. 2000i to 2004. 2004 to 2007 and most of those versions worked pretty well. It was cheaper than their subscription that way and I didn't have the headache of yearly upgrades and the headaches incurred because Autodesk felt like changing the dwg format or the menu structure.
  8. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have to admit that I haven't given up my old copy of AutoCAD 2000i even though we have a subscription and I am also run 2010. To paraphrase a certain commercial: I mostly use Microstation but when I do use AutoCAd I prefer 2000i.
  9. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    ...I'm just gonna say it. AutoCAD sucks.
    AutoCAD Inventor sucks more though.

...i made this!...

[​IMG]
  10. McCormack

Oddometer:
    I just watched a webeminar yesterday that was put on by Bentley to promote their ProConcrete.

It looked pretty freak'n amazing!

Basically, you are able to assign rebar values to a 3D object, and any geometry changes to that object automatically updates the rebar information.

The really interesting (and time saving) part was that it automatically creates a Rebar Cut & Bend file.

So, I'm wondering if anyone here is using that, or something similar. The best way that I can see for our company to boost productivity would be to better automate our rebar detailing.
  11. mjydrafter

mjydrafter evil boy for life

Oddometer:
    I work with Bentley Microstation and ASA Rebar software. I used to detail, but now I estimate.

I will have to look into this.

Just for reference, one of our detailers just left, he uses a Pentel 0.5mm and tracing paper...:lol3
  12. McCormack

Oddometer:
    Wow!

We produce our plans, then calculate rebar quantities off them, using an excel spreadsheet to keep track of it all.

It actually isn't too tedious that way, but it does take time. It would be great to just model it all in CAD during the design phase and have the program spit out our detailing sheets.
  13. mjydrafter

mjydrafter evil boy for life

Oddometer:
    Check out ASA's stuff, it's pricey, but worth it. Probably not as pricey as ProConcrete. I showed it to the guys at work, and we all agreed it's way overkill for what we do, still very cool though.

When detailing, I would draw the plan view and add in various ASA callouts, then the take off is generated with a simple fence command and emailed automatically. It's really slick compared to how we have to process the pencil drawings.

The ASA software is "overlayed" with Microstation, so they work together. It's a really powerful program. When a drawing is finished/approved, the program creates a barlist for production, the ASA production software creates bar tags for the fab shop.

You guys would love just having the barlist/production software. That's one of the best parts of ASA's stuff, it's all modular.
  14. McCormack

Oddometer:
    Can someone tell me about PDMS files? We have a sub running Solidworks, and our client has issued a 3D Plant Model in PDMS file type.

I've never worked with that type of file before, and Google isn't helping much.

Can a PDMS file be imported into Solidworks?

Can I receive the PDMS file and import into AutoCAD, then export that to a Solidworks readable file?
  15. STROMVADER

STROMVADER Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am attending school for CNC machining and one of my courses to complete the cert. is CAD. I am looking froward to because I am sick of sketching everything I fabricate! What CAD programs are relatively cheap to cut my teeth on? Google sketch?
  16. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    google sketchup isn't really going to cut your teeth on cad...

something like turbocad would be way better for that, and dirt cheap (like $100 or something); you can also buy an older version on amazon for like $20.
  17. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    I believe you can still get a free trial version and maybe later a student versionof AutoCAD LT.
  18. JasonH

JasonH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think Aveva (PDMS) can output as a STEP file which I'm pretty sure Solidworks can read. I could be wrong, but it's worth asking.
  19. PunkinHead

PunkinHead Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Solidworks can import .stp files. IGES is another good option if PDMS can output it.
  20. OaklandStrom

OaklandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Autodesk gives away full versions of Inventor to students. All your files get watermarked "Education Version", but the software is good for three years!

http://students.autodesk.com/
    Download here.