Pikes peak 2013

Discussion in 'Racing' started by les marluches, Apr 1, 2013.

1. les marluches

les marluches Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. dashmoto

dashmoto Serial Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    Wow, not going for the easy option in machine selection eh?

That's a lovely looking machine.

When is Pike's peak?
  3. les marluches

les marluches Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Seb Loeb is gonna be there too! Im sure theres a guy around here that will be happy he has some competition Paging Johnny K the side hacker ! Good luck !
  5. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 The only easy day was yesterday...

Oddometer:
    I'm trying not to go crazy right now, since I haven't had a vacation in a more than a year.

Trying to ride there this year and check it out! Tickets are expensive though aren't they?? :huh
  6. Cactus Dave

Cactus Dave Born to Argue

Oddometer:
    The race is Sunday, June 30, 2013.

I'll be there on a BSA . . . will it have one or two cylinders . . . ?

Cheers,

Dave
  7. vettex2

vettex2 X-Racer

Oddometer:
    been up the peak the day after the race before they finished paving it
    should be a lot faster to the top now
  8. JohnnyKillmore

JohnnyKillmore Mountain Goat

Oddometer:
    I think tickets are $40: http://www.ppihc.com/tickets/
    The pavement was finished last year. It drastically lowered times. Most every class had it's record reset, but rain for the cars made sure not everyone could race to the top. Those remaining records will likely be smashed this year.
    -Johnny
  9. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    I'll be there also. Best of luck to you!
  10. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    40.00 to watch things go by on a (usually) public road........ Damn Id like to go check it out anyway!
  11. JohnnyKillmore

Oddometer:
    The race has a hard time making money. The road is a state park and so everyone wants to get paid up front. As stiff as $40 sounds (try paying a $2500 entry fee like the car drivers have to), the event has lost money or just broken even a few times in recent years. I dunno what the financials are from the last 2 years. Entries are up, and supposedly attendance was up, but it did not look that way on race day... not to me at least.
    -Johnny
  12. davet2

davet2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was up there a few years ago but not on race day. There is a toll to go up the road anytime, not $40.00 but less than $10.00 if I remember correctly. It is a public road but not free.
  13. Cactus Dave

Cactus Dave Born to Argue

Oddometer:
    Yossarian -

Watcha' ridin'?

Cheers,

Dave
  14. JohnnyKillmore

Oddometer:
    Yeah the road is in a park, so there is a toll. They don't charge the race organizers $10 to use the road on race day though; they gouge the hell out of the organizers... part of the $40 price tag for race tickets, along with the cops and the helicopters and EMT's and staff and haybales and support vehicles and so on. Personally, I shrug off spectating at events that cost more than $30, especially with flat track being in the $20-$30 price range (that's good spectatin').
    -Johnny
  15. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Dakar Addict!

Oddometer:
    Tarmac all the way to the top?

Shakes head in disbelief :huh

We have our own version of the "Pikes Peak" in Mid Wales, it was named by the cross country car racers but we are using the course for a bike rally for the first time on April 28th.

http://bigbikerallychallenge.co.uk/

And no tarmac at all (well apart from a little bit to get back to the start line each lap) :wink:
  16. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
  17. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Honda just announced they are gonna compete!
  18. RLK

RLK KLR VFR

Oddometer:
    Rod Millen is in for the EV class. Toyota is bringing out the big guns again. :clap

TMG is using its pioneering off-board battery-to-battery charging technology, including Schneider Electric EVlink™ DC Charger, to charge the TMG EV P002 from the mountainside, where there is no reliable connection to the power grid.

Mounted in the rear of a TOYOTA Hiace, the TMG DC Quick Charger includes a 42 kilowatt lithium ion battery, which can be charged directly from the AC power grid. After an overnight charge, the TMG DC Quick Charger is able to quickly deliver high levels of power to a battery-based electric car without additional installation or infrastructure.

With varying current and voltage output, the TMG DC Quick Charger becomes an independent source of power for rapid recharging in any location, making it the perfect solution for electric motorsport.
  19. JohnnyKillmore

Oddometer:
    Damn there is just no easy way to post updates to here by phone. For those interested in the sidecar class, or the random photos I may be posting, I have some options for you.

You can find me on Facebook by looking for Johnny Killmore. My website has a link to my news page (blog) at www.johnnykillmore.com and I've also got a Twitter (https://twitter.com/JohnnyKillmore) and Instagram (http://instagram.com/johnny_killmore#).

I'm getting really good updates from fellow sidecar racers on Facebook as well. Bruno (who started this thread) is posting great updates on his Facebook page, "Les Marluches au PIKES PEAK 2013."

Japanese driver Masahito Watanabe is on Facebook also and is posting.

www.mylifeatspeed.com is Greg Trachy's official site and has many guest bloggers who race Pikes Peak on 2,3, and 4 wheels. Their Facebook page is also active. It's actually a cool website and Facebook page in general if you are into racing and extreme sport.

I'll try to post here as well, but I can post with a 3rd party app to all my other outlets, and have to make a special stop here and smugmug to upload, meaning they get the least attention. Afterall, I'm their trying to win a race; spare time is, well, sparing.

So far I've seen a string of photos of Carlin Dunne's electric bike, Greg Trachy's electric car, Masahito's sidecar, and fast qualifying times all on Facebook. Masahiro's time on the bottom section is only 6 seconds slower than my own time in last year's race, which set the class record. Wade Boyd was only 3.4 seconds behind me, so a 3-way battle for the record is feasible.

Oh yeah, Wade Boyd is also on Facebook though he updates in bursts usually. Hope this helps. And of course, on race day, www.ppihc.com has the live feed.

Cheers,
    Johnny K-
  20. snowscum

snowscum World Owner

Oddometer:
    Can't wait!