TwoNav Delta

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by DRTBYK, May 17, 2011.

1. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    TwoNav Delta offers you a variety of tools to make each of your outdoor activities unique.

A big touch screen combined with an intuitive software will ensure a highly reliable and secure guidance. TwoNav Delta brings you an infinite variety of features, suitable for mountains, roads, and even for the sea!... TwoNav Delta is a robust and extremely resistant product which includes the IP57 certification (waterproof and dust certification). TwoNav Delta also allows the user to use Bluetooth connections.

Due to compatibility with Navionics Gold maps, TwoNav Delta allows you to perform a high quality and very accurate navigations (boat, moto, quad, 4x4...).

[Dan T.: They actually use TomTom (TeleAtlas) Road maps and Navionics for nautical. You can make your own maps with the CompeGPS Land software.]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well I have to hand it to the CompeGPS team, they have not been sitting on their back sides. Here is a direct shot a Garmin's top-of-the-line zumo 660. I suppose we will just have to wait until someone get's their hands on one for an in depth eval.

I don't know if Touratech-USA is going to be the distributor or someone else will pickup the line in North America.
  2. SKINNY

SKINNY Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The price appears to include topos of various European countries, so us NA users would expect a lower price, unless they're working on maps for this side of the world...
  3. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    It does look good, but map availability (and quality) is certain to be an issue in North America.
  4. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    They actually have TeleAtlas vector (routable) maps available for North America but since they do not have a NA Distributor yet they are not listed on the Delta available maps page. Their other TwoNav software comes with free USA/Canada Topo's along with OSM world maps so I don't expect this to be any different. You can download to the other TwoNav units OSM maps as well as many other free map formats using the CompeGPS Land software.

TwoNav software is about the most "open" platform there is in the GPS market - that's good and sometimes not so good.

I have the TeleAtlas maps for NA on my iPhone TwoNav and they work just fine. These maps do not have the extensive POI's that you will find on Garmin's maps. CompeGPS just didn't license all that data - in order to keep the map price low I expect since they don't currently have a North America market.

Cheers,
  5. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    This GPS has to be EXCELLENT to justify the proposed $850 US price tag. Not to mention, there needs to be great map support off the hop.

Despite all the hatred towards Garmin, they have the best map support out there, both directly from Garmin and third-party.

I'd love to see some other company come in and give Garmin a run for their money. Many of tried and every one has failed.
  6. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    I generally agree with you.

[history] Garmin made it easy for map makers to "reverse engineer" their map compilers in the early days when they had few commercial map products.[\history]

Now they can afford to subsidize map costs for their customers to keep ahead of the "data" game. After all, it is about who has the best information once you get past the hardware.

I have found the TwoNav software to be quite good. The hardware is Holux and based on Windows Mobile OS. TwoNav OEM's the hardware, ports their software to the platform and puts some branding on it. Same TwoNav software as is available on the iOS platforms and other handheld devices.

Yes, it will always be difficult to displace Garmin but as you imply, competition is a good thing in this market.
  7. somaLee

somaLee Ride the desert!

Oddometer:
    CompeGPS TwoNav is sponsor of my Ride To Roots project. I started using the TwoNav Delta las weekend during a course off-road navigation.

I love how is easy it is to use all the features of this GPS.

http://www.ridetoroots.com/blog/curso-de-navegacion-y-mecanica (Spanish)

Now I'm starting to work on maps and routes to add in the Delta and use them during the trip to Africa. For that I'm working with Compe Land software.
  8. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Best of luck on your Africa adventure. Keep us posted on how the Delta preforms for you.

Cheers,
  9. somaLee

somaLee Ride the desert!

Oddometer:
    Thank you DRTBYK! Of course I will! ;)
  10. somaLee

somaLee Ride the desert!

Oddometer:
    Today I tested the TwoNav Delta during 170Km 100% offroad solo route.

I downloaded a track from http://www.wikiloc.com from a little known area. I've done the exercise to follow the original track and taking detours to test the performance of the new TwoNav Delta. With its powerful speaker is easy to hear the alarm deviation. It shows a red line from the actual position to the near point of the original track. It's working very well.

[​IMG]
  11. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Delta, how about the the battery, when delta is closed down, stays it full or leaking discharging to a minium?
  12. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is the battery discharging when the Delta is shut off?
  13. somaLee

somaLee Ride the desert!

Oddometer:
    Yes, the battery discharging when Delta remain shuted off for several days.

If the battery is completely discharged you can connect the GPS to the computer with the USB cable or use any of this chargers:

http://en.compegps.com/products/accessories/energy/

cheers!!!
  14. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That screen shot is awesome! I like how the roads stand apart from the topo lines. The guys at garmin need to take a drafting class to learn about line weight.
  15. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    If the TwoNav were sold by a US Distributor, I'd have had one some time ago. Holux (Taiwan) makes very good GPS hardware and TwoNav makes very good software. With no physical support in the US though (Spain) it is expensive by comparison with Garmin.

I do run TwoNav on my iPhone and iPad2.

Cheers,
  16. somaLee

somaLee Ride the desert!

Oddometer:
    Hope they will soon have a dealer in USA and Canada. CompeGPS have a great products and support.

Cheers!
  17. Asukal in Saigon

Asukal in Saigon Samurai in Vietnam

Oddometer:
    i purchased from Spain to Hong Kong,
    I knew Delta does not have any Asian Map yet.

And i hacked it and was successful to execute some applications of
    Windows CE,Net.

Such like OZiexplore,Noni GPSplotte,.
    Now i con use Google Map data on those applications.
    G/Map data is just as digital map, Can not search restaurants or friends
    Delta also can load map i created my self.

But still can not work Garmin Mobile XT on this.

[​IMG]
    OziExplore on Delta with G/Map data.
  18. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    How did you do that, is the BT also working when you work with a other application.
    Then you can set IGO for WM on it, do not know your maps.
    I know a lot has IGO PRIMO on there bikes for street us, and put in .kml routes they make with other programs.

Edit:
    5 Southeast Asian countries. Software version: v2.3.2. iGO primo app South East Asia edition includes the detailed map of Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei, Thailand, Indonesia.
  19. Fipsy

Fipsy form. gonescratchin

Oddometer:
    Seems to be little discussion on this unit, so after having owned one for 3 years now, I thought I should put my hand up.

My usage profile is primarily for off-road using topo mapping (NavTeq Australia 1:250K). As a rule, I create/import a track on Basecamp, and transfer it to the device. I use it for very little street navigation. The unit is handlebar mounted (RAM mounts)and has dedicated 12v supply. I ride in varied weather conditions, so it has seen plenty of rain/dust/mud etc thrown at it. I'm usually a ride organiser/leader, so tend to rely heavily on pre-trip track planning, so it is pretty integral for longer rides.

What I like about it;
    1. Screen visibility is very good in broad daylight, though at times I wish I bothered to fabricate a simple sun shade.
    2. Screen size works well, for a handlebar mount. I'd want a bigger screen if mounting on the screen brace on my 1200GSA.
    3. More than enough features for track navigation - many I never bother to use
    4. Very customisable in so many respects, including track size/colour, sample rates, screen display information, etc.
    5. Comes supplied with significant range of good topo mapping for Australia (when Oz model is purchased of course).
    6. Though it is glove friendly, I do use a simple rubber tipped stylus for screen activity.
    7. It has bluetooth connectivity, but I don't use it.
    8. The desktop-based companion software, "Land", works well with the device for trip planning, though is more complex to use than base camp to start with.

What can frustrate me at times;
    1. It's based on Windows CE which is clunky, and can occasionally slow the unit's refresh rate down.
    2. In battery mode, the screen powers off after a minute or 2(customisable), which is all good, however, if I turn the unit on AFTER I have connected the 12v power, it defaults to battery mode(i.e. power saving), and the screen wants to turn off despite 12v power. So I have to be sure to power it up BEFORE connecting 12v supply - stays on fine if I stick to this.
    3. Because of the extensive customisability of this unit, I occasionally forget how to menu-navigate my way to alter a setting. (Not often, but it can be like rediscovering it all over again)!
    4. The street (turn-by-turn, voice guided) navigation functionality is pretty useless overall - poor street mapping, outdated maps, inefficient route calculations.
    5. The street mapping is now about 3 years old, and no likely update due to a fall-out between CompeGPS and the street maps supplier. Haven't tried importing other street maps (I don't believe it can).
    6. The desktop-based companion software "Land" is buggy in the Mac version - PC version is more stable.

Overall, when used as a dedicated off-road navigation unit, following/creating tracks, using supplied topo maps - it works very well. I believe it will also take the Oz topo maps as well due to its ability to read a large variety of topo map formats. I wouldn't want to be using a screen any smaller (this one is 4.3"). You do need to unplug it's 12v supply when stopping overnight, as it will continue to draw (a small current) to charge the battery, and also due to the inline filter/capacitor thingy which can continue to draw a current even if the device is turned off.

I'm pretty comfortable with learning new technology, but even I found the learning curve on this unit fairly steep, as the documentation for it was far less informative than it could have been (not unusual with new tech stuff these days) - consequently, I wouldn't recommend it for someone who is a technophobe, or at least, a patient learner.

I am currently looking at upgrading, mainly because I want something that also does acceptable street nav as well as topo nav, and after a bigger screen (eyes aren't so good these days), not because of any shortcomings that interfere with it's day-to-day use for off-road navigating. The Garmin Zumo 590LM with OzTopo maps is looking good at the moment, however, I am happy to keep using the Delta until I find something that justifies the cost of a changeover.

Conclusion;

A highly customisable, very good off-road navigation unit, with good hardware design and screen visibility, let down primarily by it's being based on Windows CE, and poor street-based navigation/mapping. My unit came with a well-supported range of topo maps, which open well with the desktop companion software, Land, for trip planning, which, like the Delta itself, can require some time invested into getting familiar with their complex functionality, however, BaseCamp can make the process seem a lot simpler. Unfortunately, neither the operating system, GUI software, or street mapping have had any descent updates for nearly 3 years, which leaves it lagging considerably behind it's (few) competitors in the dual-function motorbike GPS market. This is a shame, because I think they have designed/built very good hardware, and were on the right track with a dual-function GPS (street + topo), and could have given Garmin a serious run for their money.