New (to Me) 2000 Kawasaki W650

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by The Jerk, Oct 11, 2009.

1. kovo1787

kovo1787 n00b

Oddometer:
    Just a heads up, I posted some W650 accessories for sale in the Flea Market.

Mike
  2. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
  3. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone have the Kawasaki engine guards for the W that they want to sell?
  4. Since-I'z-4

Since-I'z-4 Riding, not Driving.

Oddometer:
    Hello All,

I have put about 5,000 miles on my "new" W 650, & have been coping all that time with a rather violent front end shake. It happens between 30 - 50 mph when I either have no hands on the bars, or I have a very light touch on the bars.

Anyone else having this problem? The bike had about 5,800 miles on it when I got it about 6 months ago - It's in really nice shape & I believe it has been fairly maintained...

I've put on new tires, lower bars, moved my luggage around (I always ride with some kind of load) - still the same from end shake???

Thanks for any Idears...

:ear
  5. Since-I'z-4

Oddometer:
    ...when I'm decelerating.

Hard to Zip up my Jacket... or Stand up w / no hands... or ... or ... or whatever else I might be doing with both my hands besides calming that WOBBLE....

REALLY like the bike, otherwise - but I think I'm no Judge of Motorcycles. I seem to like them all:wink:
  6. Since-I'z-4

Oddometer:
    I moved my stock turn signals forward to the side reflector spot too - they fit perfectly...

Put on a fake Lucas tail light - solved the whole "heavy assembly" issue for me & is still really visible (now that that bag is removed).

Half of my commute is on DARK farm roads in the morning... & foggy... I value my visibility, too!

I used the accessory leads under the seat to power a dual "freeway blaster" horn set up, through a relay I got from a local BMW repair shop. The horns I got from the good people at Aerostich - I like to be seen AND heard. I basically only commute - but it's a fun ride (about 350 miles a week - year round).

A Real Pleasure!:clap

When I figure out how to attach an image, I'll post a couple pictures of my bike (My Dad's bike! I bought it from him... had to have it - it's his last bike... he doesn't feel comfortable riding anymore. I'll be keeping this one.)
  7. ORexpat

ORexpat Oregon Expatriate Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lots of wobbly information on the Yahoo Group site, probably now in the files. One of the inmates over there ("Jon") recommends a slightly different aspect rear tire, which raises the rear. I did the same by dropping the triple trees on the front fork by about 3/4".

Check the steering head bearings. If they're even the slightest bit loose, or out of grease, they could be part of the problem.

Fork brace might help, though it isn't intended to solve wobble, but fork deflection and twisting.

Steering damper might help, but the bike wasn't designed to wobble--I'd look at the steering head bearings first, or perhaps a blown fork seal that's let one of the forks lose some of it's oil. (That would cause a difference between the damping on each fork . . . . ) :hmmmmm
  8. acap650

acap650 acap650

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a typical coast down wobble.

1st check/tighten steering head bearings so that when the front end falls to the stops it does not bounce.

2nd try different tire pressure since the front tire acts as a damper for this kind of wobble.
  9. Since-I'z-4

Oddometer:
    Thank you!

I'll dig into it as soon as I get a couple days off...
  10. moto vito

moto vito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hay I'z-4 Did not know of any other W650s in san benito county. I'll give you a wave if I see you passing by.
  11. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Another unseasonably warm day today, decided to take advantage of it. Did a 40 mile loop, just great to be on the road.

Love this bike! :clap
  12. Since-I'z-4

Oddometer:
    Hello Vito!

Is your's all Black? I though I saw such a W on the road just the other day.

I have one of the Blue & Silver ones - no tank badges... & I'm basically always wearing a dirty yellow Aerostich jacket.

I'll be looking for you!:wave
  13. ORexpat

ORexpat Oregon Expatriate Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gorgeous late winter day in the DC metro area. Did a little "tagging" on the Dubya. So far at least, using the heated jacket hasn't killed the battery . . . . :eek1

The NOVA tag, currently a li'l toy rubber alligator affectionately named "Ali" is sitting on the back of the seat . . .

And yes, that's a fire lane I parked in to grab the tag from near one of those handicapped signs in the background! :D

[​IMG]
  14. moto vito

moto vito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hay I'z-4 Mine is blue&silver also.
  15. Bar None

Oddometer:
    My 2001 W650 still had the original tires on it with 4500 miles on them. I ride a lot of gravel roads in the mountains of Western North Carolina where I spend the summer. Always had good luck with Avon Distanzias so I ordered up a 100/90-19 and a 120/80-18 and just installed them today. The rear 120/80-18 is the same diameter as the stock 130/80-18 according to both manufacturer's websites and actually the new tire was a little larger since the old tire was worn.

Just took a short test ride and the bike does feel different but that is probably due to new fresh round tires vs 12 year old hard flattop tires.:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note the highway pegs that I got from Bruce P. Very nice to have a another foot location on long rides.

Also I did the 3.5 turns out mod on the carbs a month or so ago but my MPG dropped from 60 to 55 so I went back 1/2 a turn in. Still seems to warm up faster and no popping on deceleration. I'll check the MPG for a month or so to get a new reading.

Edit: Just got back from a 70 mile ride out to the country and all is well with the handling with the new Distanzias tires.
  16. moto vito

moto vito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Came home today and found a box at my front door from the W650 Shop. My low bar kit is here. I was looking over everything in the box and I have a question for any one that has done this mod. The brake line looks short it is 31 inchs long , does this sound right? If it is I'll be good to go as soon as I get the EBC rotor and HH pads.
  17. moto vito

moto vito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Barnone. That picture looks like what I have.
  18. The Jerk

The Jerk Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer:
    Don't worry, it'll be just right once you get those low bars on.
  19. Bar None

Oddometer:
    Been getting a lot of flack about putting a smaller rear tire on my W650.
    Stock is a 130/80-18 vs the new Distanzia which is a 120/80-18.
    The web sites of each tire manufacturer say the diameter is 26.2".
    I should have taken a photo of the two tires side by side before I installed the new tire on the bike but didn't do it. The new tire was about an inch taller than the old tire but the old tire had about 4500 miles on it so I suspect that the diameter is the same when both are new.

[​IMG]
  20. Since-I'z-4

Oddometer:
    Hey Barnone -

I think those Distanzias are an incredible idea! How does it ride? How does it handle?

I have a mile or do of dirt road on my commute, & my Battle Axes wander all over the place (of course). I'm glad to know that those tires will fit - may go that way next set.

How do they wear on the highway?

Have fun with that - looks like a good set up...:D