XT1200Z: The new WaspWorks Super Tenere, in detail and the evolution

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Wasp, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Tee Dee Mmm

Tee Dee Mmm Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 all looks good with a Great Report, at this very early stage i have decided this is such a fantastic bike it is definately a keeper and shall never leave my ownership, this morning i did the work commute down the freeways but you just have to be so careful as a slight twist of the wrist and the speedo is up to 150k without realising. Fuel economy is now down to 5l per 100 so gradually getting even better. extremely comfortable and a well thought out motorcycle that does not show its weight at all while ridden.

Well done Yamaha.:clap

Cheers Rick
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    To my mind, these are the items where 12GS/A surpasses the SuperTen. Certainly none of these are deal breakers.

Integrated heated grips switch
    Integrated computer info switch
    Steel braided brake lines
    Both seats are removable by turning a key
    Self canceling turn signals

Patiently waiting to hear Yamaha Canada's September announcement, yay or nay?

How does the engine feel compared to the feel of the boxer? :ear
  3. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    In Aus, at present, there is a.., lets be generous, $8K price difference between the two.

The YAMAHA is a great machine, it will hopefully keep the segment honest,

You now have a good choice of ADV tourers available and that is good.

Lets see how the others respond.
    In Aus at least. We tend to buy them in resonable numbers. :freaky

Cheers
    Graham
  4. GB

Oddometer:
    I don't want a boxer GS, so this is my only choice, but only if it comes here.

It looks well designed and built.
  5. 996DL

996DL Dunning-Kruger PHD

Oddometer:
    I wholeheartedly agree with your opinion, on Yamaha Australia's fitment of what appears to be, AUZ manufactured UNI FILTER foam air filters.

When I was researching what brand of aftermarket foam air filter, to retrofit my DR650's standard issue unit, I happened across Australia's homegrown filter company, uniflow.com.au (Not at all affiliated with the similar named, USA California based Uni Filter !)
    Apparently Australia's landmass is extremely old and reknowned for the destructively and minutely fine "sand dust" that you refer to...

I ended up settling for a Twin Air oem fitment on the DR, only because this extremely well regarded Auz. product, is currently not distributed in NA. :dunno Nice to see Yamaha's Australian distributer, being so on the ball with this sensible inhouse and locally manufactured, air filter upgrade ! Their efforts will pay off in satisfied customers and reduced potential warranty issues...

996DL
  6. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    Yep, I have the heated grips on order but they are not due in Australian stock until Sept apparently:cry. Perfectly timed for our cool Australian summer season.

Yamaha can stick that suggested heater control fitting position.
    I was thinking about a similar location to the FJR.. Same but opposite to the auxiliary plug, as suggested by Gadget Boy.

I actually find the handlebars slightly too high and rearward. Maybe this is because my other bike (Ducati SC1000S) has you laying on the tank with the clip-ons down in line with the front axle (well, nearly :evil), but I have been thinking that I may make a new top triple clamp with for and aft adjustable bar location with different height riser blocks available.
    I had a look at the different bent bars at the bike shop but could not spot anything with a desirable bend back.. I will keep thinking about that one for a while.

I plan on very quickly manufacturing cover/guard/skuff plates for the various frame and switch connections for this bike. I was thinking that it would be very easy to make a new cover for the exhaust and the carbon muffler while making it look very slim and less obtrusive.

More later.
    Greg.
  7. Old Git Ray

Old Git Ray Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer:
    UK based, Bored because I am not travelling
    IMHO the S10 engine is a bit noisier but it pulls a lot earlier than the GSA. It is a bit early for me to form a proper opinion, however, I do not miss the bike twisting thing when opening the throttle, or the gearbox that realy does feel like a tractor one (we have a tractor on our farm so I can compare).

The biggest plus of this bike is how easy it is to ride. Most of my riding is 2 up and it is sheer bliss.

I envisage that when this bike is taken to places where the going gets tough, riders will fall off a lot less (than the GSA) and the whole experience will be more pleasant.
  8. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    Doug who??? This is Greg's thread...
    Bloody hijackers:evil

Greg.
  9. Tee Dee Mmm

Tee Dee Mmm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought the rear tyre Doug a hole, seriously still eagerly awaiting that carbon can :evil

Cheers Rick
  10. GB

Oddometer:
    Hijack over, moved posts to the big S10 thread. Returning thread to Wasp's modifications :thumb

:lurk
  11. dcstrom

dcstrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Err... knew it was something like that, four letters, ends with a g...

I won't do it again!

Trevor
  12. obe01

obe01 Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gday Greg,

Nice bike and pic's mate.
    Good to see the working's of her as well, Cheers mate.

Johnnie,

Ten10
  13. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    A couple of days have passed since my last picture post and I have picked up quite a few accessories and odds and ends.
    Although I have been extremely busy with my work I have also found time to get out for a few rides and the bike now has 375 odd kms clocked up.

One of the parts that I received (did not actually order) was the high windscreen.
    Now I am quite happy with the standard windscreen, although I may look at lifting it to the next level, but I thought I would try this with a view to perhaps cutting it down for an around town low sporty screen.

First the standard screen.
    This pic shows the side profile.
    [​IMG]

And the front view..
    [​IMG]

You can see above and below that the screen can be raised (against Yamaha's recommendation) by another 1.5" approx.
    [​IMG]

I might try the higher setting with the standard screen and see hoe that would feel for long distance and use the cutdown screen for around town.

The next pic is the high screen in position.
    It sits about 1" higher but leans backwards with more of a curve than the standard screen.
    [​IMG]

The front view of the optional high screen.
    [​IMG]

To be honest,, I prefer the look and cut of the standard screen but in the lowest position there is a slight buffeting on the peak of my Arai XD3. If I raise by bum off the seat about 1 or 2" I get a clean flow of air and everything calms (and quietens) down. I may try it in a slightly higher position and see how that goes.
    The optional high screen nearly removes the buffeting in the lowest position and I am very confident it would completely remove it if raised to the next holes.

More experimenting required.

Greg.
  14. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    Check em!!:evil

Dont ask me how they feel because I have only ridden the bike from the trailer to the shed...
    Twas pissing down (and stormy as buggery) in Western Australia today and I did not feel like getting drenched.

I will report on the feel both off road and on road at a later date.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I recon they certainly look the part, I just have to take it easy with the first road ride to get the wax off them...:muutt

Greg.
  15. R3B

R3B Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    And put TC on Max, because they wear *fast*, but they are slightly better Off-road, if you ride a lot On-road consider TKC's they behave nicer in fast corners, Karoo will dribble quite easily with the small wobbly blocks.

Karoo's are a bit better on wet Tarmac then TKC, since the TKC's are made in Korea...
  16. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    I actually fitted this a couple of days ago when I first got it and I absolutely love it..:clap

I ordered the side panniers with the bike when I bought it but I dont believe they will stay permanently on the bike like this top box will.

The instruction sheets with all of the Yamaha accessories has minimal (if any) written words and only contain cartoon pictures. It gets the message across even if sometimes the penny drops only after several attempts.

Anyway. to install the top box you first need to remove the rear carry platform/rack..
    [​IMG]

The two rear bolts from this rack are re-used once the rack is removed but the front bolt is not required.
    These bolts are about 24 inches long and weigh about 2kgs but they must be required to do the job :huh.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I hate seeing un-capped holes so I installed a M8 stainless button head screw in the spare hole.
    [​IMG]

That part finished, the next job is to fit the lock barrel to the pannier box. When you buy your bike you will/should receive 3 extra lock barrels for the panniers...
    Get onto your dealer if you dont receive them..:deal
    [​IMG]

Lock barrel installed, this is what your top box looks like.
    No raw alluminium internals to scuff and mark your shit..:wings
    All plastic lined and clean and solid and waterproof. There is a realy solid rubber seal at the top and the whole construction feels and looks like quality.
    [​IMG]

The front of the box locates into the heavy plastic lugs at the front of the pannier tray, and the box clicks and locks down at the rear.
    You can see the rear locking mechanism in this pic. Locking is very solid and vibration free and installation or removal takes 5 seconds.
    [​IMG]

I am really pleased with the fit and feel of these boxes.:clap

The great news is YES they will take a full sized helmet and lock down.
    Here is a pic with my Arai RX7 Corsair and Arai XD3 .. I turned my RX7 sideways because I have a GoPro mount on the top that was interfering with the lid closure. (good to know there is that option).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fitting the box in position on the rack.
    Turn the key to the left and the bottom handle pops half open.
    Fully open the handle and the box drops into position.
    Push the handle closed while closing the key lock... Job done.:evil
    [​IMG]

What it looks like on the bike.
    Did I say I was really pleased with the fit and feel and quality????
    Well I am...
    [​IMG]

Greg.
  17. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    These are Karoo "T"...
    They looked significantly different (very much smaller knobs) to the other Karoo and are supposed to be more road oriented.
    The dealer had TKC and Karoo and Mitas but all looked really large full on knobbies where, to be honest, I think this bike will be more 90%/10% or at best 80% road.

I really just wanted something that would perform reasonable in the dirt without giving up too much on the road.

Greg.
  18. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    When I was originally looking at a 2010 BMW GSA the salesman said the BMW liner bags were in the order of $600:eek1
    If I recall these Yamaha bags were around $70 to $90 each.

Great feel and quality with plenty of carry handle and straps built in.

I have received the top box liner and one side box liner so far (no actual side boxes yet) and the side box liner is expandable.

The top box liner could have been a bit bigger as it is a bit of a spacey fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Greg.
  19. R3B

R3B Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer:

Keepus posted on how they fare, but the TKC looks like all knobbies, but actually on dry tarmac are able to frighten many a sportbike rider, scraping the pegs is easily doable, only the Keith code "wring em" can overload them, but if you ride fluently, you'll be amazed ! (until the road gets wet, then they are as bad as Tourances...)
  20. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    Received the tank bag as part of the bike purchase and I could not be happier with it..
    The finish is of the quality you would expect from a Yamaha commisioned product and fit is very tidy and simple.

The tank bag has built in magnets (not sure how many or where) that assist in keeping the bag firm on the tank without squirming around.

The top map pocket is easy to operate and clear... Good for putting your mobile phone under so you can see in coming calls.
    [​IMG]

Installation requires only one strap around the fuel tank pivot and the bag then locates at the front of the tank with a pressed grab bracket.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There are plenty of pockets and little hidie holes and even an included removable purse/belt type carry bag. I found this perfect for my offroad goggles but leave it inside the bag as I found it annoying when standing up if left mounted on the back of the tank bag.

I am not sure what the volumes are but the bag is expandable.
    Pic shows colapsed.
    [​IMG]

Expanded. (You can actually store a complete Magilla Gorilla emergency bike in there incase this one brakes down.
    [​IMG]

And off course the wet weather cover...:rofl
    I think I would rather that my shit got wet than use this.. But, I guess it matches the other silver bits on the bike.
    [​IMG]

And an all together pic.
    [​IMG]

More to come as soon as other accessories arrive.

Greg.