Long term bike rental in Europe

Discussion in 'EMEA' started by flrider, Jul 23, 2013.

1. drswift

drswift DRSWIFT

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the insurance info. As far as buying something there, the consensus seems to be that you need a local "front" person to buy a bike there. Most of what seems to be selling in Ireland are the small dual sports. The used bikes from the tour operators seem to be a great deal, but you can't bring them back to the States (thanks to the EPA requirements).

I'm planning on doing 3 months of 2-up touring and the larger bikes on the Euro sales websites seem way more than a US bike probably because of the exchange rates. So far, shipping seems like the best way to go unless I find a deal on a touring bike from a soldier who doesn't want to ship it home at the end of their tour.
  2. tekebird

tekebird Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Prior to buying my FJR and Shipping it to Germany, I was shoping in Europe as well.

It seemed to me I got more bike for the dollar (exchange rates included) with purchasing the bike here even when you included my one way shipping.

I was just talking with the buddy that is going with me next year (renting).

when you consider rental rates, especially if your going for a multi week trip and even more so with trips in consecutive years I thought the purchase and ship made sense.

FJR 5000.00
    Green Card Insurance : varies depending on where you get it and how long your trip is
    Storage: varies based on location
    Shipping 1200.00

Knowing your bike vs a rental

doing 2-3 months I would buy and ship it, renting that's probably more than you could buy for and then just abandon it or sell it for parts to a shop
  3. tekebird

tekebird Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh Dave, Check Knopftours...he has US bikes for sale pretty regular, from guys not wanting to ship home
  4. wheatwhacker

wheatwhacker It's raining here Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey guys.
    I operate "motofeirme" in Ireland.
    For anyone considering a multi week trip to Europe, you really should look at the option of buying and selling.
    We handled 47 bikes so far this year here at motofeirme and have had riders explore the EU, Scandinavia, Russia, Eastern Europe, North Africa and some even enjoyed Ireland so much, they never left. 2 riders are on their way to South Africa as we speak on Irish bikes and I have 2 more riders due back in the next few weeks.
    I am already picking up bikes for next season.
    We traded one bike 3 times.
    We have traded many bikes twice with the same bike doing the same trip with a different rider on board.
    Two riders made a "profit" on their bikes.
    What I charge to locate, check over, transfer title and store a motorcycle would be less than you would pay in sales tax in the US.
    I have a very reasonable pick up fee.
    My storage is super secure and fully insulated.
    Bikes are kept on a rotating tender and started on a regular basis.
    If you are considering shipping, I would be more than happy to sell/store your US bike here for you.
    It's been a great summer meeting riders from all over the world and judging by the interest already for next year, it's going to be a busy summer next year.

In a nutshell. For what you would pay to ship a motorcycle to and fro from the USA to Europe, you can actually "buy" the bike here. When you buy, you have something to sell, when you ship, your money is gone.

Shipping makes sense in two situations.
    A. You are on a round the world trip and you are continuing on.
    B. You already have a spare bike and intend to leave it here for a number of years.

In response to the OP of this thread, your Honda Transalp is happily sitting in my barn. He found a "fully loaded" 2003 Transalp for 2,600 Euro on www.donedeal.ie

Have a great ride, whatever or wherever you ride.

WW
  5. drswift

drswift DRSWIFT

Oddometer:
    Yeah, saw that. It looks like they don't last long.
  6. Reddog

Reddog Doug@sea level...

Oddometer:
    I know a guy that keeps a 1100GS in Germany that might be willing to lease it out for an extended trip. PM me if you need more info.
    D@8K'