Mr. Cob, goes for a ride-about, down under.........

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Mr. Cob, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    Late, but in! Thanks for reminding me Cobby, you old geezer.

:lurk
  2. n16ht5

n16ht5 ride the night

Oddometer:
    keep em coming
  3. 502MAD

502MAD 502MAD

Oddometer:
    Fashionably late.....:lurk
  4. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy All,

Sorry for neglecting this ride report, I just finished up the last of the skid plates that I have been building and selling to help support my Ural addiction. The last one will be shipped to a bloke from Oz, this will be the first one I have sold to used on a rig with the sidecar on the wrong side. :rofl I'll post more of the down under sage soon. :deal
  5. enduro0125

enduro0125 Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer:
    Late for the show.

:lurk
  6. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy All,

Sorry for the delay lets pick up the saga on day twenty four of the rideabout, we again head south on our way to Townsville where would stop the following day at a bike shop called "TVS Sidecars" Bruce the owner of the shop was waiting for us to show up as I was in desperate need of tires and a service on the rig. Heres the contact info for Bruce's shop,

TVS Sidecars, 9/29 Casey St.
    Aitkenvale, Townsville
    QLD 4814

tvsidecars@hotmail.com

On the way to Townsville, we passed through some beautiful country heres some photos along the way.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A sugar cane mill.
    [​IMG]

As we are riding south, we pass another Ural that is traveling north, we exchange waves, the next thing I know Jock has stopped and turned around riding fast north bound. Not knowing what was going on, I turned around and followed after Jock. A few miles later I see Jock has gotten the other Ural and its riders to stop in a parking lot on the west side of the road, I pull in and meet Ural riders Julie and Mick., we shake hands and spend a few minutes talking Urals and about our travels.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was a real treat to meet and talk to Julie and Mick., little thing like this add so much to a trip.
    [​IMG]

We ride along the coast, some great photo opportunity's here.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stop at another small bakery for some pie and a drink. Check out some of the goodies for sale at this little shop.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Later in the day we stop again for a break where Jock calls his friend who lives a few miles from the shop we will be stopping at tomorrow. Jock arranges for our lodging at this friends home whilst I strike up a conversation with a local hack rider, his tug is a Harley Sportster, his name is John, the sidecar is a 1973 DJP.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jock talks to John while I take one more photo.
    [​IMG]

Later that same day we arrive at Jock's friends home, I meet Jock's friend and his son, sadly again I have forgotten names, but I did manage to get another dog fix.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We park the bikes in the yard and do some laundry.
    [​IMG]

I had learned my lesson well and did NOT wash my cotton jeans as I knew they would not be dry the next morning, all of my easy care cloths were clean and dry. For those who don't have it, the easy wash and dry cloths that are now being made are the best darn traveling cloths you can buy, they may get kinda funky smelling if you don't keep them washed but if you rinse them out and hang them up over night unless its extremely humid they will be ready to wear the next morning.
    [​IMG]

As there is only one spare bed I set my cot and sleeping bag up in the tool shed, I got a great nights sleep.
    [​IMG]

We had another good meal, some beers and told lies well into the evening, off to bed what a great day. Stay tuned, more to come.
  7. 502MAD

502MAD 502MAD

Oddometer:
    Dave,

What kind of cot do you use..... that sucker looks great!
  8. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy 502MAD,

I can't remember the brand, I have been using it for over 20 years. When I first got it the legs were to long the cot sat about 8 maybe 9 inches above the ground, I cut the legs so that it now sits about 5 inches off the ground this makes it nice inside a tent and still keeps you up and off the cold, uneven ground. The whole thing packs down into its won carrying case about 24 inches long by 5 inches wide by an inch and a half thick, weighs about 4 pounds. This little cot is one of the best camping items I have ever bought.
  9. leethal

leethal 3 wheel Monarch #37

Oddometer:
    Hi Dave,
    Just for the record, the couple heading North on the green Ural were Julie and Mick. You met John and Rhonda (also Ural owners) at TVS in Townsville. John and Rhonda kindly put me up for a couple of nights while I replaced a front crankshaft bearing with the help of Bruce at TVS.

I am still reliving my trip through your great report.

Cheers, lee
  10. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy Lee, G'Day mate,

Thanks for helping me out with names, I some how managed to loose most of the notes I took whilst in Oz. I'll be adding another chapter later today if time allows. :D
  11. leethal

leethal 3 wheel Monarch #37

Oddometer:
    Howdy Dave,
    I see you were quick on the edit mate. :deal.
    I did a 3 day ride with Julie and mick and 20 other uralists a few weeks after you met them. John (the importer) organized a ride from Kentucky to the coast and back. Of course, we had a ball. :clap

Keep writing Dave, or as the nun said to the bishop "keep it up as long as you can" :clap

Lee
  12. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy All,

I am back again, when last writing this report, Jock and I had spent the night with his friends, day 25 of the rideabout, started with finding and then spending the better part of half a day at Bruce's bike shop where a full service was performed on the Ural and some new tires installed to replace the badly worn ones that we limped in on. Here the shop information.

TVS Sidecars, 9/29 Casey St.
    Aitkenvale, Townsville
    QLD 4814

tvsidecars@hotmail.com

We find the shop,
    [​IMG]

and are greeted by Bruce who will be taking care of the Ural's needs.
    [​IMG]

Before Bruce can work on the Ural he has to make room by moving this wrecked rig out of the shop. This was a BRAND NEW rig that was crashed by a new inexperienced hack rider.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The wreck moved outside, the Ural is rolled into the work bay to be serviced.
    [​IMG]

As Bruce is working on the Ural, I wander around the shop, its setup to do just about any type of repair and or custom work on any brand of motorcycle, with a large stock of common parts and accessories.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is one of the worn out tires that will be replaced on the Ural, I got as many klicks out of them as was possible.
    [​IMG]

Work being done to the hack wheel and brake check.
    [​IMG]

The new tires have arrived, they will be sent out with the wheels to be mounted at another shop, as all of Bruce's employees were busy with other tasks.
    [​IMG]

A fellow stopped by this rig, looks fast.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bruce is hard at work.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

John and Rhonda, stop by to meet and visit with me.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jock wanted to stand next to Rhonda.
    [​IMG]

Here we are the rig serviced and ready to hit the road. I owe a special THANKS to Spanner, the lady sitting on the rig, she is one of Bruce's employees who was very instrumental in getting the tires back so we could get moving again as we had a lot of ground to cover before the sun went down.
    [​IMG]

Jock says farewell to Spanner, for an old coot he has a way with the ladies.
    [​IMG]

And so the rig serviced, new tires where needed, we are off to continue the sojourn. I want to thank Bruce and his crew for the excellent work they did on the Ural, for caring for our needs by providing lunch and drinks while at the shop. I ask that folks who live in the Townsville area or those who are traveling and passing through to stop at Bruce's shop if they need parts or service, he will do a great job of taking care of your bike. THANKS Bruce.

Oh before I continue, my mate Lee who I met at the OCR had a front crank bearing go bad on his Ural, he stopped at Bruce's shop, the shop fixed his rig the day before Jock and I arrived, this gave Lee and I a chance to visit whilst the Ural was being worked on, I am sure that Lee will join in my recommendation of Bruce's shop.

I can't remember where we ended up that night or if we camped or found a cheap place to sleep, again I have lost photos.

The next morning, day twenty six of the rideabout, starts out sunny, we are off, headed south, we stop for gas along the way.
    [​IMG]

We have some breakfast.
    [​IMG]

While eating breakfast I notice a man riding a BMW who has on his jacket, a Vietnam Service Medal, I don't know this man but I walk up to him, and invite him to share our table, when he sits down I offer my hand and speak these words "Welcome Home".

In the USA when we who had served in Vietnam came home for the most part we were NOT welcomed we were treated quite badly by many of our countrymen, it became a custom among Vietnam Vets when they met to shake each others hands and say the words "Welcome Home" as in most cases our countrymen had never done so. I could see that my greeting was a surprise to my new mate and so I explained it to him.

After brecky and before continuing our journey I took a photo my my Brother in Arms, I am so sorry I have again forgotten a name. Ride free and long my Brother, may our trails again someday cross.
    [​IMG]

On our way south we hit a lot of road work and had to stop many times, look behind the Ural, on the hill side is a large sculpture of a big black lizard.
    [​IMG]

A better view of the lizard.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We wait, and then wait some more. this would be a pattern for the rest of the day.
    [​IMG]

That night we made it as far south as Mackey. We were tired, we got a cabin in a travel court, ate a good meal and went to bed, both of us tired from the long day on the road. Stay tuned, there is more to this tale.
  13. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    Am sure enjoyin this RR. And hopin for more! :D
  14. Pokey66C23

Pokey66C23 Burroman, half man, half burro.

Oddometer:
    Mr Cob,

Thanks for taking the time to post this up and let us share in your adventure. I've been to Aus while flying with the AF, I never had the opportunity to travel the country side Ural style so to speak. You've made me want to go back and really see Aus from ground level. Happy trails. Pokey
  15. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy Mates,

I have to get off me arse and finish this ride report, I only have a few more days of riding to cover but I have been distracted by domestic duties and playing with my Ural here at home, I will make a concentrated effort to finish this report within the next few days. :deal
  16. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy All, G'Day Mates,

I'll pick up the saga where it was dropped, day twenty seven of the rideabout, Jock and I rode from Mackay to his home. It was a nice day sunny and pleasant temperature wise.

Here the Ural is parked in Jocks car port, one of the dogs is inspecting it and giving it the smell test, by this time the rig was quite covered in dirt, dust, mud, and BUGS.
    [​IMG]

We took Barbs car to town, Jock needed something to work on one of his bikes I forget what it was so we went to the local bike shop to get it.
    [​IMG]

For such a small shop it was outfitted well for the usual needed supplies and gear.
    [​IMG]

On display was this impeccably restored old bike, very cool.
    [​IMG]

Here Jock is paying for his parts, this is the only photo I have of Barb, such a beautiful lady who was extremely camera shy, I had to sneak this photo.
    [​IMG]

Playing the part of being a tourist whilst in town.
    [​IMG]

The evening meal Barb prepared was great.
    [​IMG]

Day twenty eight of the rideabout, consisted of a guided tour of Jocks home area, what a wonderful place to live and ride, here we are getting ready to leave for the days ride.
    [​IMG]

One of the many river crossings made during the trip, this one is just a few miles from Jocks home. There is a strip of concrete about 10 feet-3 meters wide laid on the bottom surface of the river, this is what we are riding over.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Later in the day I came across this large snake soaking up the sun in the middle of the road. I got off the rig and walked toward it to get a better photo, the darned thing raised its head and start to slither toward me. :eek1
    [​IMG]

This photo gives you an idea of big that snake was, I don't know if it was poisonous but I wasn't going to take the chance of getting bite, I took my photos, jumped back on the rig and rode AWAY.
    [​IMG]

The next sires of photos are just random shots taken on our ride.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We come to a hand dug train tunnel.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A narrow bride across the river.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I said narrow I meant NARROW.
    [​IMG]

Ural on the bridge.
    [​IMG]

Cob having a bit of fun with the Ural.
    [​IMG]

Back at Jocks home I get another dog fix.
    [​IMG]

We have tea.
    [​IMG]

Jock takes me to visit the Rum factory.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

An Aussie and Yank, clowning for the camera.
    [​IMG]

After a great day of riding we are back at Jocks home, the evening will be spend packing for the trip south where we will spend the day riding to Brisbane where the rig will be turned back over to Jon and be sold to its new owner.
    [​IMG]

Before it gets dark, I take some photos of Jocks home, what a neat and beautiful place it is.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stay tuned some nice photos of the trip south and a GREAT old school bike shop coming up.
  17. conchscooter

conchscooter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quite the adventure and quite the ad for Ural. 8,000 dusty miles trouble free.
    And, one has to wonder in the darker recesses of the mind, what your minder did to get
    banned from advrider. He seems so innocuous.
  18. gunnabuild1

gunnabuild1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice pic's once again Mr Cob,no expert but the snake looks like some variation on a python so not poisonous,however it's still a snake so retreat is the best option,for me anyway.
    My dog died a few months ago so I'm learning what you mean about the dog fix, recently house sitting for friends with a little lap dog a pleasant reminder of how a dog can enrich your days.
    Enjoying the perspective of a visitor to our shores,makes me take a second look at the things I take for granted.
  19. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy gunnabuild1,

Whilst traveling with Jock, I was so pleased to see the different terrains of Oz, and often remarked to him how beautiful his country was. Later when Jock stayed in my home for a few days and it was my pleasure to guide him around my part of the planet for a few days he remarked on how after seeing the snow covered mountains in my backyard "When you live surrounded by such things, how could you find Oz beautiful?" I simply said, "Because its different and I had not seen such sights before." The more I travel the more I realize that its NOT the same everywhere, it allows me to see new things and enjoy them while still reminding me that some of the best parts of the world are in EACH of our own backyards. As to my need for dog fixes, I can only aspire to get along with people as well as I do with dogs, dogs have been a part of my life since before I could walk and will be till my time here is done.
  20. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy All,

Day twenty nine of the rideabout, would take us from Jock home to his friend Gene's home which is in or very near Brisbane. Whilst on this last real day of riding we would pass through some very beautiful country, rolling hills, old worn down mountain ranges, with some incredible vistas along the way.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jock on the KLR.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stop for fuel..........
    [​IMG]

And food.
    [​IMG]

After our short stop we travel on.
    [​IMG]

We stop at this over look, below and before us the remains of a long ago eroded away volcanic mountain range the only thing still standing is their hard cores.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stopped at a National Park to get some better views of old volcanic cores.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Later that early evening we made it to Gene's home, Gene is an interesting fellow, he races a sidecar powered by a Harley-Davidson Sportster, his wife Vickie is the monkey. Heres Gene.
    [​IMG]

Vickie sitting on the riders seat of the rig.
    [​IMG]

The "grandparents in action" If I remember correctly Gene and Vickie are in their early 60's and still running hard.
    [​IMG]

The evening spent at Genes home was passed in good cheer, food and beer in plenty a good time was had by all. The next day would be my last day in Oz, Jock would leave his KLR at Genes home, Gene would drive us to the air port after I had turned the Ural over to Jon and meet its new owner. Stay tuned for the last chapter in this saga.