Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    I'm only 5'8" with a longer torso and I agree that Specialized bikes tend to fit our body style very well. I've had a bunch of em over the years.

M
  2. DoctorIt

DoctorIt vrooom!

Oddometer:
    Your inseam changes by 2" on a given day? I don't wanna know! :lol3

But seriously, you are a PRIME candidate for a custom bike. If you're not pulling our legs, those are some seriously non-average (male) proportions. Your seat-to-handlebar drop must be insane! I'm an inch taller than you, and my inseam, on average, is 4" less than yours (I ride a custom bike with a 56.5 seat and 57 top).
  3. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    +1

It took me a few bikes and some $$ to figger out what I liked and what I didn't.

M
  4. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    Depending on my physical condition and flexibility, I change seat height, crankarm length stem length at least twice during a racing season. Nothing drastic, but definately feel the difference over a 60 mi. ride/race. I wouldn't spend the $$ for custom when I could adjust a regular showroom bike to fit my purpose.

Though for Kawalaser, if he wants to stick with one single bike for a long long time, custom might be the ticket.
  5. Javarilla

Javarilla Escapee

Oddometer:
    I don't know man.

I think he's trying to steal 'most self-absorbed' poster title from you.

You're gonna need to up your game.
  6. Javarilla

Javarilla Escapee

Oddometer:
    Yo Kawalaser - is your 32 inch spec your pant inseam? Because that is likely NOT your real inseam.

For example, my real measured inseam is 34.5inches. However, because I weigh 270, unless I choose to wear custom pants, the cut of pants I wear forces me to choose 32inch inseam pants.

A stock bike is a ridiculous choice for me. A 60cm bike built for 200lb guy with the crappy parts that come on anything under $4k will feel like shit if you have any size to you.

If you're outside of the bell curve, go talk to someone at a bike shop who knows what they're talking about and let them spec you out. They'll get you set up.
  7. kawalaser

kawalaser Hip to be square

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info, Jav (and everyone else).

32'' is my typical pant inseam.

My budget for a pedal bike is low, since I just dropped large wad on my motorized bike so that'll be good for another 15,000 miles.

I mean, four large? :eek1 I see how deep the rabbit hole goes...

I am thinking sub $1,000 -- maybe second-hand. Is that a bad idea with bicycles?
  8. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    As I remember, White Plains, NY is not a flat terrain area, maybe that should put into consideration for your bike purchase.

Ever consider riding it for longer distance, say over 40 miles on a single sitting or day?
  9. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:

I'd look at Raleigh and Surleys for that price range, maybe Bianchi as well. You should be able to get a good roadie (maybe a leftover yr) for under 1k easily.

Now the gear on the other hand.....:lol3
  10. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
    Isn't the rule-of-thumb for bicycle purchase similar to engagement ring guidelines?
    3 month's salary?:lol3
  11. biggziff

biggziff Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer:
    Used is good...a buddy just sold a $1500 Cannondale that he rode 3 times on Craigslist for $600...sold in 3 hours.
  12. Javarilla

Javarilla Escapee

Oddometer:
    Are you riding in a hilly area?

If not, the world of single speeds beckons you.

Hell, I live in the hills of Seattle and I ride single speeds. Only my rando and work bikes have gears.
  13. Javarilla

Javarilla Escapee

Oddometer:

And I'm selling a brand new (1000 miles) 2008 Trek Portland for $1100.

A lot of people love this bike, but too me, it feels like a wet noodle.
  14. Stinez

Stinez Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer:
    Coming from the guy who won't hesitate to tell us how smart and big and strong and tough he is...that's funny. :lol3

My "game" will remain the same because laughing at folks like you never gets old. :razor

PS Posted because the bike size question seems to have been resolved. :evil
  15. Oznerol

Oznerol Motion Enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in about the same range as Cat0020 -- 5'10.5", 34.5" inseam. Finding an off-the-shelf road bike that fits me well is near impossible. My cross bike has a lot of seatpost showing despite a horizontal toptube, and a 35-degree-rise stem. It looks decidedly uncool, but I can ride it all day without back pain or numb hands.
  16. flip18436572

flip18436572 Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer:
    Go to multiple bike shops and see what they say and let you ride.

I bought my new Jamis Ventura for just over $500.00 two years ago. Ask them if they have any "year old" new bikes on the shelves. They will normally have them much cheaper, even though most of the time it is the exact same thing as the current model, just a different paint scheme and/or stickers.
  17. Javarilla

Javarilla Escapee

Oddometer:
    :lol3 :lol3 You should try to dig some of those. I'd like to see them! Probably should post them up in CS&M so we can keep this thread clean.

P.S. Tellin' someone yer dimensions and weight to help them gauge fit and suitability of bike frames doesn't count. It's in proper context.
  18. Stinez

Oddometer:
    And poking someone who questions the reason for a persons comment is in proper context too. :nod

As is reacting in kind. :nod

:super
  19. Oznerol

Oznerol Motion Enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Would you two take this back to CSM, or wherever it came from, and stop shitting in this thread?
  20. Stinez

Oddometer:
    OK :nod