Should I do it

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by manybike, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Narsisco Lopez

Narsisco Lopez Addlepated

Oddometer:
    Yep... once you ride it, you'll probably buy it.

Don't be overly-concerned about "service intervals"... just update your tool kit, scan the Orange Crush section regularly, bookmark <a href="http://www.ktm950.info/" target="_new">The HOW</a>, read Geek's new thread, <a href="http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=769525" target="_new">Welcome new 9x0 owners! Things you need to know about your new bike...</a>, ask your questions here, and mostly...

HAVE FUN ON IT.
  2. jclark83

jclark83 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The valve checks are very labor intensive compared to an Oilhead BMW. You have to remove the fuel tanks, carbs and air box just to get to the valve covers. The KTM is a shim under bucket design that requires removal of the cams to adjust the valves. Oil changes take a little longer as well. To me the high maintenance factor is worth it for the high fun factor of riding the 950. My wife asks "Are you working on your KTM tonight?"
  3. BaronVonDarrin

BaronVonDarrin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Philadelphia, and at times Western Maryland
    Just thought I would add that I am considering jumping down from my 950 to a 690 (or even abandon ktm for a husky 630). Size is daunting to me too as I am taller than you, but I also am no hulk hogan and pretty newbish in the dirt. I love the big girl, but her smaller sister seems easier to slap around ;]
  4. keener

keener Speed changes you.

Oddometer:
    +2 on "go test ride it"

Valve check is a labour intensive in terms of taking parts off the bike to get to the cylinder heads. It is very straight forward job though. Tanks off, airbox and carbs up and zip tie to the handle bar, and there are the cylinder heads. see: http://www.ktm950.info/how/Orange%20Garage/Valves/cpmodem_method/valve_adjust.html

Most of the times valves are in spec based on my own bike and others I seen. I see them go off spec every 15000km or so.

Water pump was a bigger issue in the past. KTM has upgraded the shaft and I think the seal. This is still the weakest point of the bike but not a deal breaker by any means. My bike has 45000km and PO replaced the shaft and seal as precaution when it had 17000km. I never had a problem. I carry parts when I travel. There are several points you can spot the leak. Waving oil filter, muddy inside clutch cover and coolant lose.

Fuel pump for 950 usually goes south around 30000 to 50000km range. There are several solutions developed and tested by many here and are reliable (often cheaper than stock pump! i.e. Facet pump and filter will cost you $65) see : Fuel Pump Options on www.ktm950.info

Go for a test ride.:ricky
  5. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I remember the first time i sat on the 950, The best feeling i ve ever had!!!!! Like all say it made me buy it.

The main thing for me is which one is more desireable, Ok you might pay some dollars more on fuel or pumps but.... it will make you feel 15 years younger. It is more FUN!!!! over.

If you want less fun, so you can pay 20 dollars less fuel on a trip then take the 650.

We are talking about one of the best motorcycles ever made (the 950 i mean).

What answers did you expect in the orange crush?

Get on it and you will get your answers. Good luck!
  6. manybike

manybike Omnipresent Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just talked to the dealer, he is trying to get maintenance records (the bike was not purchased at their shop)
    Anyway...it is an 05 not a 06.
    Is there any significant differences between the two years? I have also read about there being an 05.5?

The bike has 30k km (about 18k miles), not big miles for a 05 bike, (My 1150 that I just sold had 66k miles...just broken in!). Shows no signs of hard use....no battle scars at all...not even a little scratch, I think the miles were mostly on pavement.

Just as an aside, I did also look at a low mileage 08 Uly, I have ridden them and they are actually pretty neat bike, however, parts and resale are a bit of a worry....also does not have the outright lust appeal the 950 has (at least for me)
  7. AdvGa

AdvGa Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. manybike

Oddometer:
    That is kind of what I had planned initially, now I'm waffling.
  9. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probably not what you would like to hear, but for that type of riding, I would keep my GSA and fit standard GS shocks. Been there done that. Apart from the looks department (tall always look cool) the GSA is an exercise in futility compared to the lower model. Too heavy to be so tall and a lot less flickable and manageable than the lower model.

However that's past since its gone. Between the 950 and the dakar, 950 all the way. If it is the tall model you are talking about, just lower the suspension. It can be done at a relatively small cost, or you can swap it for the low suspension with a member of the forum. You will have plenty offers!
  10. manybike

Oddometer:
    That is exactly what I did to my GSA, I put in regular GS shocks and it worked very well. Every couple of years no matter how much I like my ride I always get the urge to try something different. I find it is cheaper to try different bikes as opposed to different wives!! :)
  11. Masa

Masa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Coming from a GS 650 - there's simply no comparison. Get the 950.
  12. Doktor O.

Doktor O. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. manybike

Oddometer:
    Thanks, very useful links
  14. Torquemada

Torquemada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I owned a 2003 F650GS Dakar for several years. It was family to me. Good bike. OK suspension. Excellent gas mileage (56 mpg average). Very reliable when maintained. Easy to work on. Farkles and maintenance well documented on The Chain Gang site and this one. Typicaly heavy for a big thumper. Just barely enough power for me and a sensible amount of luggage.

I kept a Uly in consideration during my search. Rode one for awhile. Loved the power. Knew I could squeeze fuel mileage out of it if I was careful with the throttle. Knew it would guzzle fuel if I wasn't. My first impressions of the geometry of the bike were that it was odd. It all made sense when I actually rode it for awhile. Still it wheelies with a little too much ease for me. Paint-shaker idle vibration was distracting to me. Still it was not as manageable as a dual sport in my hands as my F650GSD and it seemed a long way down to the ground. It also makes a lot of heat that renders to the frame by design. Bad for me in Texas.

My brand new 2010 KTM 990 Adventure is only a little heavier than the BMW. I equate it to a small guitar amplifier combo hidden somewhere between the gas tanks. The KTM seems to have a lower center of gravity than both of the bikes above. Seat height is very close to the modified seat on the BMW. The suspension is light years ahead of the BMW and not as sensitive to setup as the Buell. I now have the power to take both my luggage and a passenger on a trip. The bike handles sweetly. The engine is still in the break-in period but the fuel consumption is comparable to my former 2003 Tuono v60 motor at this interval.
  15. Cyath

Cyath Impetulant Ignoramus Supporter

Oddometer:
    I started on a F650GS, then in search of more power, went to an R1200GS, then as my dirt skills improved, I went to a 990Adv.

The biggest downfall of the KTM is the fun factor.
    Go ahead, ride one. Before you know it, you'll develop a dysfuntional needy relationship with the big Orange bike.
    You'll do stupid things like put KTM stickers on your computer and your thermos and your children.
    You'll yell at it every time it drinks extra gas without telling you.
    You'll feel empty and disatisfied every time you shop for farkles and realize that it doesn't need anything.
    You'll curse at it every time you drop a screw somewhere into the abyss and then spend an hour shaking the bike and hunting for the screw with a flashlight and a magnetic-tipped prong like a fat lady hunting for an M&M under the couch.
    You'll curse the engineers and designers every time you have to dismantle the bike like a Matryoshka nesting doll just to do anything other than fill it with gas. Then you'll marvel at how they got that tiny powerful engine into that tiny space like the perfect Tetris puzzle move.

Service on the 650 takes half a Diet Coke.
    Service on the R12GS takes a beer and a cheese sandwich.
    Oil change and air filter on the 990 takes a six-pack, a medium pizza, a bag of Doritos and a call to your mom to have a good cry.

If your BMW dies on the road, you can fix it with chewing gum and a zip-tie.
    If your KTM dies on the road. Well, take a picture and note the location so you can post it up for sale on Craigslist after you hitch a ride home.
  16. manybike

Oddometer:
    Yep...sounds eerily like a Ducati owner (of which I once had)

However, the woman who is selling it cannot locate a single shred of any maintenance records her husband may have kept..hmm...or....maybe he just rode it and didn't do any valve checks etc....there are folks out there like that.
    Not sure how concerned I should be...it does however give me a pretty big stick on price negotiations.
    I would have to get it cheap.
  17. japslap

japslap Japslap

Oddometer:
    Here in th UK the dealer can tell you all the history from the frame number etc,so if you get those details,you can check the history of the bike,ie any recals done,warranty work,service etc,id guess it must be the same for you guys stateside.to be honest if it has no history id give it a swerve,these bikes need lovin or they eat your wallet and spit it out....just my opinion buddy,but these bikes are superb....
  18. manybike

Oddometer:
    Good comparison..thanks
  19. zeropoint

zeropoint Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brilliant analogies you have going on there! Great writing about a great bike.:clap
  20. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sometimes 3 letter brands can be confusing, but there you go, I fixed for ya! :evil