ktm 500 exc?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Visigothic, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    Took my 3 week old bike to the woods of NC this weekend. Bike did great - me just ok ha. I now understand why some want to gear so low. 14/45 felt about perfect but a 48 on the back would shorten it up some and slow me down on the down hill.

Check out the creative parking.
    [​IMG]

Only problem was the low beam going out. Not a big deal cause I don't ride at night much. I am looking for a replacement that won't break in 30 hours of use. Any suggestions for a replacement bulb?

Lot's of orange in the top of the hill club.

[​IMG]
  2. SteveO

SteveO scratched and bruised, but not out Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was just about to pull the trigger on the larger Acerbis tank from JustGasTanks when I decided to find out if the tank was actually in stock.

It's not in stock yet.... bummer.

Ben stated they should be getting the larger 5.3 gallon tanks next week.

Based on previous riding mileage in different terrains, i'm thinking the 5.3 gallon may be what I need.

I was able to get ~37.5 mpg when riding in deep sand, dirt roads, etc.
    When riding mostly on dirt roads, I was able to get about 50 mpg.

So, I thinking with the 5.3 gallon tank, I should safely get between 180 miles per tank and 250 miles per tank, based upon the wheel spin....
  3. Lulu7404

Lulu7404 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Funny you mention that. Mine went out at about 14 hours. I was wondering, since I don't ride much at night either, if leaving the high beam on for street was too hard on stator? The way it is now, on low beam i have no light, which is what i wanted for trail use anyway...
    I am interested in replacement bulbs too of course.
  4. EVELKNIEVEL

EVELKNIEVEL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    YEA ME TOO MINE BLEW LAST MONTH THE SICASS HALLAGEN WORKS GREAT

[​IMG]
  5. tenerejay

tenerejay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys - In response to the 5.3 tank - I have an xr650 that I put one on and with fuel it changes the dynamics of the bike - definitely counteracts what was meant to be (high weight) - that being said I also just purchased a 500 exc and immediately ordered the 3.4 tank - should be the perfect compromise from KTM hard parts and if you work your local rep you can get it for 250 bucks - I sat on one with it and couldnt tell a difference (it was empty as well) but it was designed by acerbis for KTM to not/limit the effects of added weight up high - this beast was designed this way for a reason and its when you are doing something that you always have and a slip or slide happens that the extra weight comes in to place, and not usually a good outcome because of the added weight up high - just my .02 cents
    Suspension - I am 260 lbs and had my bike sprung for me before I picked it up - The KTM dealer used race tech springs - the rear is progressive - because I am a trail rider and not a MX rider (only occassionaly:evil) I had them spring it for a 240 to 250 lb rider to allow me to have it a little soft and to avoid revalving - I believe I made the right choice - when I first picked it up it was like a two by four - solid as hell - took it home and set all the suspension to the comfort level as indicated by the book you received with your bike and its freakin awesome. I imagine as I keep breaking it in i will adjust accordingly, but cant imagine having to revalve it - btw i ride in north ga on diamond rated trails at Highland Park and this thing eats up all the trails you throw at it (rider limited) - if you mx spring for your weight, if trails are your thing shoot for 20-40lbs under when picking springs - If you are unsure go to racetech.com and call and speak to someone there, they will help you find the right set up
  6. SteveO

Oddometer:
    dang, now ya got me thinking about the 3.4gal tank......
  7. Mudguts

Mudguts when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer:
    I'd hate to destroy how the bike handles with to much fuel or the ergos with a massive tank all that fuel upfront won't be good , So safari should be doing a rear tank you could share the load between front and back , balance the bike and still have it handle ok ,

I will go for a clockwork tank 13L and if i have to a 8L rear tank
    thay do make a 5.5 L tank for the WR looks nice a clean it might fit .
  8. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm a mechanical dolt so excuse me if I'm waaaay off base. The stator operates (a copper wound electrical device) by having the magnetic flywheel spinning around it to generate electrical charging. Any excess voltage is dissipated through the regulator as heat. I can't see how it could be damaging to the stator since it makes electricity anytime the crank spins, no matter what the electrical bulbs are doing.
  9. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Yup, that's how it works. The stator is always under full load in a permanent magnet (sp?) charging system, excess gets dissipated in heat through the R/R.
  10. bobbed06

bobbed06 Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer:
    Checkin in for a mileage report....

Can you fellas drop some mileage numbers accumulated to date so far....?
  11. SteveO

Oddometer:
    According to my "Acar" phone app....

1,125 miles in 5 months, 23 days with a total ride time of 41 hours....
  12. Lulu7404

Oddometer:
    Any adjustment needed on your valves Steve?
    I just got my 13l tank in and figure I might as well check the valves while I have the tank off. I am just at 14 hours, so I don't anticipate needing to loosen them. My last dirt nap bent one of the radiator tabs, so I am hoping: #1 no more dirt naps on rocks, #2 that the tank absorbs some impact so I won't need to buy radiator guards too.
  13. Lulu7404

Oddometer:

I didn't mean so much as damage to stator, but rather too much load in stop and go traffic so that the battery gets discharged. My commute is so short that I don't anticipate it but thought I would ask, and like that now I can "turn off" headlight off road.
    I eventually plan on getting the fairing that Sanjoh and Harcus have designed for the 500. I have some of Sanjoh's advmonster led's from my Tiger that I can use.
  14. SteveO

Oddometer:
    No adjustment needed so far. I checked at 1 hour and at 30 hours, they were right in the middle of spec each time....very happy so far

Where did you get a 13L tank? I've called Justgastanks and they stated they have some Acerbis 13L tanks, but they were missing parts. The larger tanks should be in next week.

I called Ktm-parts about the 13L Ktm tank. They stated they were on back order until late June....suppose i'll have to wait....
  15. ABYSS

ABYSS KTM

Oddometer:
    I wasnt aware Acerbis made a 13 L I thought it was a 12.1 liter.
  16. SteveO

Oddometer:
    The KTM tank, according to the Ktm parts guy, is made by Acerbis.
  17. ABYSS

ABYSS KTM

Oddometer:
  18. SteveO

Oddometer:
  19. ABYSS

ABYSS KTM

Oddometer:

you can call Brian at Acerbis USA and he will confirm. they dont even have the KTM plastics contract at the moment.

fi you want one of thse tanks Carson Motor Sports had a few but I bought one and I sent lulu for the second one. i am not sure if they have any more but these guys are top knotch!
  20. SteveO

Oddometer:

well....bummer.....just called em.
    They shipped out two tanks a couple weeks ago to Texas. Currently the tanks are on back-order. Which means, mid june or so.....