the DR200 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by klxrdr, May 13, 2007.

1. AleXtz

AleXtz Minimal2 the fulness

Oddometer:
    yep it is 32,000 miles on the bike, i think this stud is in real good shape starts fine, electric circuits working well, it just needs to change the clutch plates, boy they are expensive and i drained today the last 150mL lets see if it makes a difference in the oil leaking.

I also noticed some oil in the air filter.

thanks dalehazelton! So changing the fuel petcock solved for you that gasoline smell problem? when i did the carb cleaning couldnt make the gas stop, it was a real pain in the butt
  2. brailman133

brailman133 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any suggestions from anyone on how to vent my tank after removing all smog stuff? Can't keep gas flowing.. Bike is a CA model so the gas cap is sealed and locking... Is it possible to put on a little filter on tube coming out of tank that would feed to smog box?to keep gas flowing..[​IMG] this is the plug I put on tank I need this to be the vent... Any Ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. Joelness

Joelness Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finding a vented cap seems like a simple option, though I know they are expensive new, perhaps a used one can be found. Good luck.
  4. Yorkshire Pie Eater

Yorkshire Pie Eater n00b

Oddometer:
    <label for="rb_iconid_5">[​IMG]</label>Good evening everyone.Newbie seeking advice.I have a 1996 DR200 with a cold weather starting problem.After reading previous posts,i am going to insert a larger pilot jet into the little rascal.My query concerns the air mixture screw at the front of the carb.Does anyone know how many turns from fully screwed in this item needs.All the manual tells me is to screw it out the same number of times it takes to screw it in,which presupposes it was in correct adjustment to start with.Which it might not be.Any advice welcome.Cheers,Mick.
  5. brailman133

brailman133 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not sure if a regular dr gas cap will fit on the CA model tank...... Does anyone know?

6. straight cut

straight cut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. sethpatricus

sethpatricus n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello I am new to the forum and of course have a question about my '05 dr200 with about 6000 miles on it. I bought it this past January from a local fireman in town for $1900 with 1500 miles on it. I rode it from then until about 4 weeks ago when it started hitting the teens daily in the mornings, I had done regular maintenance to it including oil change, cleaning the air filter and lubing the chain regularly.

Recently I decided to change which oil (from mobil 10w-40 to valvoline 10w-40) I used while performing an oil and filter change and about a week afterwards I noticed that if there was any significant change in rpm when downshifting that there would be a groaning/rattling noise coming from the left side of the engine. It also happens if i take off too quickly from a dead stop and don't have the engine up to a high enough rpm. The odd thing is it becomes less frequent as the bike warms up. :huh

So I am not quite sure if that would be a starter going out, a poor quality oil causing the noise or possibly a slipping clutch. any advice would be much appreciated! :D

Thanks
  8. AleXtz

AleXtz Minimal2 the fulness

Oddometer:
    thanks a lot straight cut, the screw that you pointed out seems to be more difficult than it appears, will need to remove the whole top in order to take it out :cry

i'll keep informed of the progress, thanks again
  9. tony the tiger

tony the tiger Long timer

Oddometer:
    secret owner of a Parmesan cheese factory
    Cheers Mick.
    I'm thinking it's ~1 1/4 to 2 turns out... I did a quick search of this thread click here and see up to 3 turns from some folks. I've got the manual out in the garage - but don't think I'll head out that way just now. :vardy
    Hope that helps some.
  10. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Well, "some bending" was an understatement! Time to sandblast and repaint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For those that like a little welding project, this might be a better route:

http://bolty.net/2011/05/20/if-they-dont-make-one-for-your-bike-its-time-to-get-creative/
  11. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know what the load capacity of the DR200 is? I am 6' 220, so I know I'm a little big for it, but I mostly want to use it as a motorized mountain bike. Local only, no highway riding.

On the gas tank, all you have to do is just disconnect the vent hose that went from the tank to the canister, and leave it open on the canister end. It does not need a filter. The gas cap may have some kind of one way valve in it. If you still have venting problems, see if the gas cap can be taken apart. If it can, take it apart and remove anything you find in there. It's usually a rubber/plastic diaphragm, round with a hole in the middle.
  12. brailman133

brailman133 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jerry I ended up putting back on the vent hose out of tank and zip tieing it to frame works great[​IMG]

13. Yorkshire Pie Eater

Yorkshire Pie Eater n00b

Oddometer:
    Many thanks Tony.2+1,4 turns out seems to have done the trick.Mick:clap
  14. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is already on this thread a few times, but Kientech makes a pilot screw for the DR200 that can be turned by hand, without a screwdriver. I have one on my XT225. Makes it easy to adjust with the engine running so you can get it just right without having to count turns, etc.
  15. snow4brains

snow4brains n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello fellow DR riders!

I picked up an 06 a couple of weeks ago and have the rest of winter to make it mine. Other than fluid changes and a general check up I'll be cleaning and adjusting the carb, maybe... Thats where my question comes in. Has anybody changed to a slide type carb or something else to get away from the C.V. carb? My understanding is the CV carbs give better drivability & fuel economy while sacrificing some performance.
    Anybody tried it?
  16. Codyp1814

Codyp1814 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Keietech makes a pretty good jet kit which you can buy here http://www.kientech.com/ Don't need to change anything just new jets and a needle. It runs richer and more responsive. Also I have a DG slip on exhaust which helps more. You don't need to rejet either if you have the jet kit and the exhaust.
  17. Codyp1814

Codyp1814 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can be easily fooled on where it is exactly leaking. I had the same leak up around there and I thought first it the camshaft plug, then the front valve cap seal, then rear valve cap seal, so I just replaced all 3 seals. I still don't totally know which one it was.

http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts/search/Suzuki/Motorcycle/2006/DR200SE/CYLINDER+HEAD/parts.html

Buy #16 (comes with both front and rear seals) and #17 (cam plug).

If this doesn't fix it it may be the valve cover gasket.
  18. FlyingFinn

FlyingFinn Long timer

Oddometer:
    The little DR is a pretty low performance bike so not many go through the trouble of sourcing, installing and tuning a direct-lift carburetor for it.

That said, I have a Mikuni TM31 on our DR200. The TM31 was a stock carb on couple year models of Suzuki dr250 dirt model.
    That carb works really well on the 200 but they are almost impossible to find.

I've played with TM33 and TM36 on my KLX250, I'm pretty sure the 33 would be too big for the 200.

Mikko
  19. snow4brains

snow4brains n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'll look in to those. I was poking around on ebay and see carbs off rmz125 and 250 . But so far havent found many specs on them. Hmmmmm. lol
  20. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    So, I've combed the last 419 pages. Here are the 19 tires that are mentioned being used on the DR200.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]