2013 Dakar Pre-Event Discussion

Discussion in 'Racing' started by SafariBerg, Mar 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jurassic

Jurassic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Simon Pavey just retweeted this quote from Don Hatton, it sounds as though he's happy with his lot so far.:D
    "@DTH58 I am in Lima met up with Simon and crew. Actually rode my bike today Simon has built a great bike for me. This is like a factory team"
  2. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 The only easy day was yesterday...

Oddometer:
    No Neduro this year?

I'll be watching Johnny C then...
  3. Flood

Flood F5lood.

Oddometer:

Pyndon carries the ADV flag this year.

:pynd
  4. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now is the time for competitors when little details start going crazy. You've invested something closer to the value of your home than the value of your car to be here, you've been preparing every waking minute for a year... should I carry this or that just in case? These questions will drive you mad. They fade once the race gets going, but in the days leading up, they seem overwhelming.

At the same time, there's lots to do. Dealing with the ASO, sorting out the support truck, last minute details that weren't done before shipping... the hours are full.

The dice have been cast... now to see how they land.
  5. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm assuming they are starting the first special in race number order, a bit like a prologue and SS2 will be based on the SS1 times?

On occasions the quickest can select any top 10 position, but I haven't seen anything to indicate this?

My comments were based on last years start from what I can remember, that is unless anyone knows otherwise for this year?:1drink
  6. Jurassic

Jurassic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Manuel's cutting things a little fine! He posted on his FB page a few hours ago; :eek1
    "Eating burgers in Madrid airport while im waiting for the flight to Lima. Today i feel really fresh, finally i managed to get some sleep last night!"
    [​IMG]
  7. too old

Oddometer:
    It won’t be long before competitors will be singled out, but for the moment, the mini special stage organised on the outskirts of Pisco will principally be used to divide up the drivers into categories according to their level, who in turn will reassemble during the rally. The initial stage won’t be as stiff as the drink that made the region famous, but the picture postcard landscape is especially appealing. The concentration required over the several timed kilometres will still allow the competitors to admire the scenery. Nevertheless, the light-hearted attitude and relaxed driving style adopted by the competitors during this first day must not mislead them: the Dakar has really begun.

From the official website - not fully clear but it could be that they are batched, probably the elite top 50 and then the rest, but they could divide it further?
  8. johnBOYhenson

johnBOYhenson rallye intern

Oddometer:
    can anyone offer some insight into why Kurt C. is not showing up on the entry list? also, i see only two usa riders, JC and Muggleton.... is that it!!??:cry....we're under-represented when you think of the talent out there....
  9. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    My guess is that as they do scrutineering/ take pictures/ etc, his entry will populate in, and that it's just a function of his late arrival.

Sadly, they didn't accept many US entries this year.
  10. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Mysteries of the Dakar website :D

A few Americans were turned down this year. More applicants than spotting starts...its tough to know what someone was thinking when they pick this person over this person I suppose. A few people that got turned down were quite surprising :nod
  11. johnBOYhenson

Oddometer:
    give us some names deadly! don't hold out.....:wink:
  12. too old

Oddometer:
    It was only yesterday when Coma was taken off, so things move a little slow.

At around $ 125k ++ to get a bike in, plus the right CV you need to be pretty keen, have loads of $$$$ or be good enough to be sponsored in a private team, or ultimately have one of the few factory rides, all in all Rally is not up there in the USA, a bit like soccer and rugby maybe, but with Johnny Campbell and Robbie Gordon and the efforts of KTM now pulling in US talent, maybe things will change as we move on?

Quinn should have been there also with Speedbrain, but he has had a shitty year on the injury front.
  13. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Ned who else besides Mike S. do you know of that didn't make the cut..
  14. johnBOYhenson

Oddometer:
    and on that note, Ned, do you think the process is purely analytic, or politics, or both?

thanks for ALL your insights thus far, btw..!
  15. too old

Oddometer:
    Robbie Gordon got back in, so perhaps not politics :lol3:lol3
  16. Jurassic

Jurassic Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's probably why they didn't allow too many other US entries, figure he'll make enough noise to count for about twenty guys on bikes!:rofl
  17. barrier

barrier Says who?

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if there is an official factory backed Hover Bike team this year?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. NAVIGATOR

NAVIGATOR Wanderer

Oddometer:
    SOUTH OF THE USA BORDER(friendlier Mexico)
    Man... and I thougth that you only had to pay your fee and race!!!!, How does ASO make the choice of who gets in and races and who doesen´t?
  19. SteveDennehy

SteveDennehy Steve

Oddometer:
    :wink:

Attached Files:

20. Jurassic

Jurassic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think there's an element of "it's not what you know, it's who you know". As I understand it (and I may be wrong) having someone on the inside pulling strings for you is a good way to improve your chance of getting a start, so in the case of Charley Boorman (who let's be honest was a no hoper) he had the support of a guy called Chris Evans who works for ASO and also happened to be a Brit and who lobbied on the behalf of the Race to Dakar team and facilitated their entry. Obviously Si Pavey was far from being a no hoper and having him in the team did their entry chances no harm whatsoever. There's probably a large quantity of pure luck involved as well (Si Pavey's son Llewellyn was hoping to ride alongside his Dad this time but had his entry declined).
    I just found this list of ASO worldwide representatives, having your respective rep fighting your corner would be a help I imagine.:wink:
    http://www.dakar.com/2010/DAK/presentation/us/r4_some-tools.html
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.