Global Multi grab

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by RC Pilot, Dec 17, 2011.

1. RC Pilot

RC Pilot I am not anti social. I am selectively social! Supporter

Oddometer:
    New list;

1 - A watertower

2 - A static display aircraft / helicopter

3 - A clock tower or stand alone town clock

4 - A shooting range

5 - A dragstrip

File photo prevention item is a blue cloth (rag / towel / whatever) drapped over your windshield or handlebars.
  2. wb57

wb57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got items 1-4 reasonably close. Have to figure out where the nearest dragstrip is. Closest one I can think of is about 100 miles south.
  3. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer:
    If you come on down to Rockingham you'll have to stop in SP for a beer on me. Although, I'm bikeless right now until I get around to rejetting the Honda carbs.
  4. wb57

wb57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely. Trying to decide right now if I'm going to chase this one tomorrow, the VA tag or head out on what would surely be a fruitless trip to hillbillyville. :D
  5. Bald Eagle

Bald Eagle n00b

Oddometer:
    Well items 1 to 4 are easy but the nearest drag strip I can think of is about 500km away.
  6. Flashback

Flashback Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer:
    There are 3 dragstrips just outside the TriTOR boundaries and that's not including the 4'th one in Fayetteville...unless you live in the middle of the tag map there is bound to be a dragstrip within about 50 miles of your location.

Thems pretty good numbers to work with.
  7. wb57

wb57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The only one I could think of before searching was Rockingham. I've, uh, narrowed it down a bit since. :evil And I'm pretty much smack dab in the middle of TriTORville.

Edit: I thought the dragstrip was going to be the difficult part of this. Got one about 50 miles away, but can't find a static aircraft display within 100 miles or so, but I *think* I may know where one is that isn't listed on the world wide interwebs. :D
  8. Flashback

Oddometer:
    Better hurry up. I'm thinking of getting this one....there's a static aircraft right in the center of TriTorville and a drag strip 30 miles from me.

:lol3:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:lol3
  9. wb57

wb57 Long timer

Oddometer:

It's on. :D Nearest dragstrip to me that I can find is in Roxboro and I'm heading over near the airport (go figure) to look for a static display that I may or may not have seen in the past. Not *AT* the airport, but nearby.

Forgot to take my blue cloth when I went out this morning... :eek1
  10. Flashback

Oddometer:
    Don't tempt me...

I guess you did understand which display I was talking about. :lol3 But can you figure out where it is?

(stretch...shower on tap...then maybe I'll see if I get bruced)
  11. Flashback

Oddometer:
    I got sidetracked with a trip to the lab but at least I got out of the house. Tag still safe for a bit.
  12. wb57

wb57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That gauntlet had been thrown down! :lol3

If it was the helicopter at the National Guard compound behind the airport, then yes. That's what I *thought* I'd noticed before. Went out there just a bit ago, but the nice man with all the weapons wouldn't let me take a picture of it. Not saying it couldn't be done, but I wasted my chance. At least this afternoon. Tried for another vantage point, but couldn't get one.

Arrow shows the helicopter. X shows where a good shot could have been taken. Asterisk shows where the happy, young man with the bullets stands.

If I was going to try again, I'd just do it as quickly as possible without having any sort of conversation with anyone wearing all black and items measured in caliber. :lol3

Attached Files:

13. Flashback

Oddometer:
    That's so freeking funny.

I just went out there too (exact same spot) and no matter how much I tried to convince that nice man with the weapons, he wouldn't let me take the picture, nor would he take it for me. I pulled out all the stops, mentioned that I was former military and had previously held a security clearance, even mentioned that I earned special ribbons for my actions. Even said that no one would ever know and it was just a picture of a helicopter (a damn cool huey from nam). Said that if he'd let me drive up to it I could make sure that I didn't get anything but my bike and the helicopter in the picture.

He didn't bite. No joy.

:cry

btw: It's not just the National Guard Armory but also a Lockheed Martin facility...me guess tht they stock more than just the small caliber weapons that the guards were carrying.

Here's what it looks like (minus the motorcycle):
    [​IMG]
  14. Flashback

Oddometer:
    Well this tag will have to go to someone else. I've struck out on the static-display. Can't find one that you can get to as a civilian within a significant distance of my location (like half a days drive).
  15. wb57

wb57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You went far beyond what I tried. :lol3 My conversation was limited to "hey, do you mind if I get a picture of the helicopter from outside the fence?" and him explaining in a couple single syllable words that the likelihood of that action coming to fruition was as close to nil as was conceivably possible. I u-turned and started heading out. Went about 30 feet and doubled back and took the left up towards the airport looking for another spot I could get the shot from. Realizing that I was probably being watched more closely than I'd prefer, I just bagged it and left.

I saw the Lockheed Martin sign too.

There's a Huey on display down near Rockingham - also a dragstrip there...
    http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM6X7M_Huey_UH_1B_DAV_Chapter_59_Hamlet_NC

Also found some in Havelock, Fayetteville, Hickory, etc.

I've got the other three items on the list, so I don't feel like I can quit on this one now...

16. Flashback

Oddometer:
    I'm not positive but I believe the Fayetteville aircraft are inside the gates too...same with the ones at seymore johnson afb in Goldsboro.

But I do know that the ones at Cherry Point in Havelock can be gots.

[​IMG]
  17. RC Pilot

RC Pilot I am not anti social. I am selectively social! Supporter

Oddometer:
    WB, if you can get a long distance shot of the heli from outside teh base, that would work too.

18. wb57

wb57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tried to look for a spot where that might be possible to at least throw something up for approval, but didn't really see a good place. If I head south towards tomorrow morning, I'll stop back by and take another look. I almost feel like if I just pulled in and parked where the cars outside the fence are - and acted like I belonged there, I might not get noticed. Don't know how much of a long shot that is and I don't want to cause a "situation".

Hopefully, those folks aren't reading this... :lol3
  19. wb57

wb57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don;t think there's any way I can get that helicopter at the National Guard area.

Question: would a static rocket/missile display be acceptable?
  20. Flashback

Oddometer:
    I'm sure our license plates are in a database somewhere now...lol...I'm not going back after that helo either. The pic just isn't doable without drawing unwanted attention to meself.