The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

1. khale

khale ride dirty

Oddometer:
    I'm well aware of how marketing works. I wasn't one of the people causing the stink. It was a mistake on my part as well as one rider is riding in the USA.

Side note, is it just me or does ALESSIO CIGOLINI, the first rider to have videos put out, and the first person on their Riders page resemble Ewan McGregor. Now that is some subliminal marketing :D
  2. khale

khale ride dirty

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

That's Ewan stunt-double if I've even seen one.
  3. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Same hair cut but other than that - doesn't look close to me.
  4. Motard_Menace

Motard_Menace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was more interested in the jury who were apparently all Hollywood types who ride to varying degrees. That should immediately tell you that this is all marketing.
  5. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    Yes and BMW thanks you for contributing to the hype :evil
  6. Thinc2

Thinc2 Paciugo

Oddometer:
    Motorrad reports that their long term test Ducati has 50K KM's on the clutch with no issues. Ducati has been sourcing this clutch for the last three years from Japanese OEM FCC - this is the exact clutch that is in the new GS.

From here for more of the article in German.
  7. velimlje

velimlje Adventurer

Oddometer:
  8. Rauven

Rauven I like the cold...

Oddometer:
  9. khale

khale ride dirty

Oddometer:
    First lay down, perhaps? Ouch! Hope the bike was ok!
    [​IMG]
  10. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    Which Ducati? Multistrada?
  11. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    I read that article, yes, Multistrada. The Italian's seem to be building better motorcycles these days, what's happening? :D
  12. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    haha, well they sourced the clutch from Japan ;-).....well good to hear the new GS will have a proven clutch. I also heard that the S1000RR uses this same clutch and it has held up well.
  13. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    good to know, EJ....i'm also close to the folks at my local dealer, so i may have an in there as well.....one of those four (4) bikes arriving will most likely become a demo based on what i was told (each dealer will most likely have to appoint one of the bikes as such)......but yes, #3 on the list right behind yourself....good stuff.

Fixin, the Diavel is one Ducati i have not owned nor ridden, but I do know that you enjoy yours very much. that 1190 ADV is going to be an incredible motorcycle me thinks....real good in fact.
  14. Gros Buck

Gros Buck Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer:
    You are right ... Cars have electronics that's, at least for some models, reasonably reliable. Just a matter of part selection ... They solved many problems in the 80s when they started to use grease and sealed connectors. But if you have ABS on your car, chances are that it does not work anymore at 100K miles ... Sensor this, sensor that, bla bla bla. And when you see the $1500 repair quote, you just tell yourself WTF ??? And leave it as is and live without it. And realise how useless that very expensive electronic was.

But there are variables to be considered here: volume. It's one thing to still have problems with a car produced at a pace of 1 million a year, It's another with a bike produced at a pace of few thousands yearly.

Besides fuel injection, I do not see any real benefit that electronics have brought to a 1200GS in the last decade. It brought just problems.

Paul Jr
  15. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

More power. Lower emissions. I am sure that we will soon get a silly political rant over someone's denial of climate change and their lack of concern for the plane t's environment but for most normal people in most nations lower emissions would be the responsible thing to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  16. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Just took a break from burning truck tires in my yard to check this thread...
  17. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 10 year old Corolla, with 138k miles has been flawless, with the exception of light bulbs and the AC clutch. I don't baby the car at all, and have driven it places that would embarrass half of the guys in the "Let's see your GS off road" thread. I use 100% of the 134 horsepower every day and change the oil every 6-8,000 miles weather it needs it or not :wink:

"Sensor"? What's that?
  18. Marki_GSA

Marki_GSA Long timer

Oddometer:
    Climate change bahhhh :D joking.
    Yes fuel injection and electronic ignition is what actually made vehicles reliable over the long term. Sure points are cheap but they screw up all the time and it won't start. FI has brought back drivability that you could never get with the same power/tune. The last GS's to have carbs had about half the power. To say electronics on a bike is of no benefit is just ridiculous.
  19. Voluhzia

Voluhzia iExplorer

Oddometer:
  20. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    some would see ESA as a benefit, many owners out there love it. then you have the improved computers within the dashboards (one could argue that the fuel gauge isn't all that wonderful), LED lights, tire pressure monitors.....i'd call those benefits in my book.