Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. Jon_PDX

Jon_PDX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey TravellingStrom good to hear from you.

The Montana sure has been a nightmare for you. Good to hear they will fix the screen for you at no charge.

Ride safe,

Jon...
  2. divotdm

divotdm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
  4. divotdm

divotdm Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Heres a refurb for $364. I was going to order it, but for $35 I figured just get new. For $599, I just bought a new montana 600, garmin rugged mount, city nav 2013, topo 24k, ram mount

https://www.gps4us.com/GARMIN-Montana-600--P2610.html

Thanks,

Dave
  5. jimrobinette

jimrobinette Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. bighopper

bighopper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just started Bascamp & got a box saying there was an update to 4.0.4.0, clicked the Download then got a box to do the Update...all I get is a box saying 'Error Launching Installer' :huh.

Running Win7 64 & haven't had troubles before on any updates to Basecamp.

Any body else?
  7. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did not have any trouble with the automatic update.

You can try the direct download here.
  8. bighopper

bighopper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :freaky thanks, I'll have to book mark that DL page for future problems.
  9. Jon_PDX

Jon_PDX Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. Bonerov

Bonerov Damned dirty ape

Oddometer:
    So I have had my Montana 600 for a couple of days. I had downloaded Basecamp and several maps before receiving the GPS. I installed the maps, including one open source routable street map. When using the unit to navigate on the road, the results were less than impressive. Yesterday, I broke down and purchased City Navigator 2013. I found it to be MUCH better than the open source maps that I've found. I had also downloaded a California topo map, which didn't show very many trails at all, and seemed to never know where I was during my dirt bike ride yesterday. I'm considering paying for the 24k Topo West maps, but I want to see if the City Navigator has improved anything before doing so.

Does anyone have recommendations for GOOD topo maps (with trails) for California? The ones I've tried have all been disappointing.
  11. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:

Can you list all the map versions you have tried that were disappointing and where you sourced them?
  12. Bonerov

Bonerov Damned dirty ape

Oddometer:
    Sure, I would have included them in my previous post if I could remember them off-hand. I tried the routable California map from mapsbank.com, one of the california topo maps from gpsfiledepot.com, and the California routable map from openstreetmap.

I am seriously considering just ponying-up the money for the 24K topo from Garmin....
  13. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I visit GPSFileDepot.com, Select California and filter for Topo Maps only, I get 16 maps to choose from. Only four of those do not contain roads, and seven do not have trail data. Can you narrow it down any further?

My memory suggests to me the current Garmin 24K topo maps are still built from 2008 data.
  14. Bonerov

Bonerov Damned dirty ape

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I forgot about that. I just looked at my download history. Here are the files I've downloaded:

california_topo_2011 (gpsfiledepot.com)
    us_plan_nw (gpsfiledepot.com)
    California by MapsBank
    osm_generic_windows (I can't recall the host)

I'm covered for street nav now, having purchased Garmin's overpriced maps. I would love something useful for offroad use on my TE450/DR250 though. I may just end up grabbing my ankles and spending the $120+ for the 24K West Topo map. :cry
  15. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 100K Map Trails and My Trails from GPSFileDepot both have better trail coverage than Garmin Topo US 24K West, in California.
  16. kaspilo

kaspilo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, last week while riding the Ozarks in Arkansas the Screen on the Montana 650 went dead. At first it flashed and lost all maps, after a reboot got the maps back for about 5 mionutes and lost them again, the screen reamined lit. Then tried to reboot it again... nothing, removed the beatery and re-installing back got nothing!

Sent the unit to Garmin, they were great, very good service and support. They are sending a new/rfeurbished unit at no cost. It was crazy, the week before I lost my Quest, and also Garmin had to replace it for $29.
  17. srad600

srad600 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, I get the exact same error.
  18. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Wierd. It ran on mine without problems. Win XP SP3 (32bit).
  19. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    Ems.com now has the 650 for $439 so I grabbed one finally. I've only been lurking here since this time last year!

Yesterday I tried to get gpscity to match the price on the $399 600 and they wouldn't because they couldn't tell if they are new or refurbished. I called EMS to confirm they are new and are an authorized Garmin dealer. Glad I waited a day to get the 650.

I think they have one 650 left.
  20. BruceWA

BruceWA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Updated OK here. No issues.