Adventure in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by somecallmetim, Nov 14, 2003.

1. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
    Facebook thought it was last week. :rolleyes Either way, have a happy one Shawn. :clap
  2. ruppster

ruppster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone looking for a KLR? Think I'm going to sell my 1993. It has about 20k & a few scratches (I put it down hard once on gravel, been dropped at low speed multiple times, occasionally in the same day :D) still looks good. Honestly in better shape than most of the newer bikes I see posted. A few guys saw it at Dox's gathering, that was before the gravel incident. Doo has been done, valves recently adjusted, new sprockets & X ring chain, fork oil changed, new fork boots, brake pads, automotive fuseholders, yada yada yada. You'll be hard pressed to come up with any maintenance item that I haven't done.Bone stock performance wise. Super reliable bike, has never used a drop of oil. I wouldn't hesitate to ride it across the country tomorrow. I haven't started it since I picked up the WRR, it just sits. I'm thinking in the $1800 range, may move a little. Would be interested in taking a small bike on trade (z50, pw50, ct70, etc. maybe 85) would like to start teaching my daughter to ride. PM me for pics, questions, offers.
  3. Gonzo_Matt

Gonzo_Matt Random Hero

Oddometer:
    Sending you a PM.
  4. Benly

Benly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0DETKDLoMAE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Some video from the Black Friday ride.
  5. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:

man, you shoulda passed that guy in&#65279; the red, he was just slowing u down
  6. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    I need to get rid of my 2008 too. I'm in same situation as you. Got the WRR and the KLR rarely sees any action unless I take Indy along. ;)
  7. MrFurious

MrFurious Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stopped in at the local Honda/Kawasaki dealer this morning to take gander at the two-fiddy's. They had both a CRF250L and KLX250S on hand for direct comparison and I definitely like the Honda better. As for why, well...

• Like the looks of the Honda a lot more. I just didn't care for all the black on the black/green 2012 KLX they had.
    • I like how the radiator hose/water pump inlet is up high and out of the way on the Honda compared to being way down low on the Kawi.
    • The seat on the Honda was much more comfortable.
    I was real tempted to write a check right then and there for the CRF, but unfortunately I have to wait and see what the a-holes in Washington are going to do with the tax code before I can make that kind of commitment. That's the one big downside of being self-employed - I pay my income tax in one lump sum every year and if they let the Bush tax cuts expire and/or greatly reduce exemptions and write-offs for small businesses the amount I have to pay is going to be a lot higher than it was last year.

Here's hoping they get off their asses and get something worked out before Christmas so I can have an idea what I'll owe and maybe, just maybe, can put a new bike under the tree for myself. :evil
  8. Landon

Landon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the Honda is the one for you. Is the WR250 not an option for some reason?
  9. MrFurious

Oddometer:
    Price mainly. I just can't justify spending $6700 on a WRR given how I'll use it. For what the WRR costs new I can buy the CRF and do all the performance mods and upgrade the suspension and still have a few bucks left over.

The other factor is where I live. Being smack dab in the middle of the NTZ (aka the flatlands of NW Ohio) my off-roading opportunities are pretty slim, and most likely if/when I want to do some trail riding I'll throw it in the back of the truck for the 3+ hour haul down to southern Ohio. For me it will be more of a local commuter, errand runner and play bike.
  10. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    Why not buy a gently used WRR? Even a year-old mint one will have lost enough in depreciation to be where the CRF is brand new, and then there's no suspension or performance upgrades really needed.

This assumes that the new tax burden isn't going to be a real kick in the balls, but I am quite certain that we're all going to be paying more across the board. (cue someone pissing their diapers because we're talking about CS&M garbage)
  11. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    47% won't be.

I concur on the used WRR. $3-4k is less than the Honda and gets you in a better bike. They are indestructible. Mines at 22,000 now and I don't even think of that as many miles for this engine.
  12. Landon

Landon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think this rules out Indypups bike, although I don't think its for sale:rofl
  13. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    :D Nope not for sale yet. I did take it past the KTM dealer and they said they would give me $2,800 for the trade in as is. I haven't broken anything else since then. :evil

I doubt anyone on here or who has watched my wideos (except Sion) would want my WRR anyway. :cry
  14. mgorman

mgorman Crashing since 1964

Oddometer:
    Plastics and bars are cheap, motors and frames aren't. What's the best trade in value for that year WRR? I wonder how much you'd have to invest in cosmetics to make it back in value?

I'd rather buy your bike and fix the minor things than one from someone like Justin Barcia or Jeff Stanton. (I'm not in the market) They said the wheelbase on Stanton's bike would grow inches over the course of months from his riding style compared to someone like McGrath and the Japanese engineers would be perplexed over the parts he broke, without crashing. Then you run the risk of buying from someone who rarely changed the oil, abused the clutch or teats them like a submarines.

My friend Mike is very easy on his bikes both motor and chassis but his maintenance schedule is pretty much "when it fails, I guess I better replace it" so basically, I'd never buy a bike from him unless it was near new. I also quit doing team races with him because something always broke.
  15. MrFurious

Oddometer:
    Main reason is that they're damned near impossible to find - especially within a reasonable distance and for a realistic price. Plus everybody and their brother, sister and cousin has a WRR on here, I like to be the oddball! :lol3
  16. ruppster

ruppster Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's Adventure in Ohio on a WRR! I gave a little over $3k for mine a month & a half ago. I looked at the Hondas as well. I rode a KLX250 once, didn't look at them. They seemed like less power than the WRR.
  17. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I was wasn't doing a lot of miles (like you said in town play bike, and you'll haul it any further) I'd go more performance oriented. A slightly older ktm or husky or haus might be near that range, or a newer wr450f or crf450x. Then you'd be the odd man out!
  18. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:
    I gave a little over $3K for my like new 08 WRX with 1K miles this summer. It is a really good commuter with the street tires. For what you are talking about another $800 for dedicated dirt wheels/tires the few times you will truck it down to SE OH makes sense. You can have street tires for commuting and REAL knobbies, not worn out 50/50 DP tires, when you go down there.

Something to think about.

I think the Honda is nice, & the price is killer. I talked to Flagger about his & he really likes it.

Lots of options.
  19. MrFurious

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the WRR is the power king in stock trim, and it also has the best stock suspension. The KLX has been around long enough that it has plenty of performance upgrades available to make it comparable to or surpass the WRR. The Honda's the new kid on the block, and what I like is that a) it's $2200 cheaper than the WRR new, and b) for $850 you can easily add enough power to pretty much match that of the WRR. If I feel the need for something faster or need the rush of hyper acceleration I'll just take the C14 out for a spin.

The suspension is a mute point for how I'll be using it 95% of the time, but there's already mods for the 250L available to bring it up to snuff in that department as well (Gold Valves and a custom G3 rear shock from Race-Tech). Even if I opt to do the suspension mods down the road I'd still have less money in the 250L than I would a new WRR.

If I was planing to use this thing for a lot of serious off-roading I'd just run up to the Yamaha dealer in Findlay and buy the new leftover 2008 WR250F they have for $4500 and slap a D/S kit on it. But as I said earlier, I live in the flatlands - the closest thing to dirt roads, trails or real off-roading we have up here is blasting across a freshly plowed field or riding up someone's gravel driveway.
  20. Gonzo_Matt

Gonzo_Matt Random Hero

Oddometer:
    The tax code changing won't affect what you pay this year, it won't kick in until the start of the next fiscal year (2013)