2013 Honda CBR500R and CB500F

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cabanza, Sep 13, 2012.

1. fragile_this_side_up

fragile_this_side_up Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can add heated grips to any bike.
  2. rs42sport

rs42sport Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How about Clearwater Kristas???
  3. fragile_this_side_up

Oddometer:
    uhh. yeah.. I don't see why not. neither items are "bike specific".
  4. EastBoundAndDown

EastBoundAndDown Ron - 300XCW DR650 990SMT

Oddometer:
    Not on my Concours :lol3
  5. fragile_this_side_up

Oddometer:
  6. rs42sport

rs42sport Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I went to my dealer today and sat on the r model and to my surprise my 6'6" frame fits it... Going to wait when it drys up and test ride it to see how it will be on the road... So far so good.:clap
  7. NortwestRider

NortwestRider TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer:
    WOW,test drive whats that !!!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. whipit1k

whipit1k Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just looked at the R model at the local dealer. it has a refreshingly roomy appearance and high quality look about it. Very nice
  9. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    I just saw the F in person for the first time and it looks as good as the
    NC700S.. (but I'd still pick the 700..).
  10. dogjaw

dogjaw plays well alone

Oddometer:
    Saw the R today, was very impressed with the fit and finish...[​IMG][​IMG]
  11. Fictitious

Fictitious Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 500Rs just game in at my local dealer; looking pretty darn shiny. I've signed up for the Honda test ride event so we'll see how that goes.
  12. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Due to an idiot friend I got to put around 100k's on a 500R today.

Brand new bike, new tires, pissing down with rain, and since he got his bike before his license - someone had to ride it home. And since he'll be puttering for the first few months, I was asked to put some k's on it so the engine would get a chance to break in properly.

Did I say it was raining ? - you know the sort of rain where you can't see very far because there's so much water in the air - that sort of rain. I think the guys at the Honda shop were running a sweep to be honest :lol3

Very nice bike, I don't normally get on with road bike ergo's but it was comfortable within a couple of minutes. Tyres were a bit edgy for about the first few k's, after that they stopped stepping out - more likely the smooth tar in the urban areas than the tires.

Gearbox was good, engine was good. Less power than my DL 650, but really good power delivery. The only time I really noticed the power difference was opening it up on very steep hills. I did have to change gears more than on the DL, but not to an insane extent, and I was making a point of working the gearbox to vary the rev's.

Big pluses on the DL - quiet. Only the whoosh of wind past the helmet. A lot easier to manouvre in tight spots, lighter, lower. Either feet up or paddling, really easy. (I got lost finding it's home O.K. and had to back out of some dead end streets). Seat is probably better than the DL's.

Not so good.
    Mirrors - well, I could see my elbows. Fitting mirrors that are further forward and further out will be a common mod.

Put contact on the back and sides of the tank, the riding position for me was well forward so scuffs on the tank will be inevitable otherwise.

Rear suspension - O.K. I may be being unfair here, my DL is set up to handle dirt roads at speed. Front suspension was on a par with the stock 2012 DL 650 - damper rod, but at least well set up from the get go. The rear was no where near as good, got totally overwhelmed on a few bumpy corners. (And note, not my bike, new bike, heavy rain, I was NOT pushing). I havn't ridden many 'average road bikes' recently and on the DL I can pretty much ignore lumps. It was a bit better towards the end of the ride so may have just been 'stiff' and needing time. Not a killer, but you will need to dodge the lumps rather than ignore them.

Overall impressions, comfortable bike, enough power that power would't be an issue riding within legal limits. A bike I could live with if for some reason there was one in the garage.

While I think my friend *is* an idiot for not getting his license first, I think it's a good choice. It'll be really nice to commute on, and he won't be deparate to upgrade as soon as he gets his open license. It has enough get up and go to pass and keep up on trips at 'mostly legal' speeds and would be comfortable enough to do long k's.

Pete
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  13. theloop

theloop Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the report Pete. I like what you wrote up about the engine since I put money down on a CB500x. I had my choices down to four bikes, the CB500x, NC700x, NT700v, And a 650 v strom, after sitting on all the bikes the CB500x just felt like it was made for me. I know it has the smallest engine of them all, but my wife never once rode on my last bike, plus my last bike, a 750 shadow had about 10 less hp then the new 500's so I should be just fine for riding I plan on doing with it.
  14. Larry Ferguson

Larry Ferguson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Where were you able to find a 500X to sit on? My dealer won't get them until at least May.
  15. B02S4

B02S4 Aye

Oddometer:
    I think he saw the X at a show, not at a dealer.
  16. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    The local dealer has a cbr500r that I sat on in the showroom. Nice compact motorcycle. Sit position reminded me of my old Hawk GT, although I haven't had that bike for several years so my memory of it may be suspect.

He said they were expecting an "F" next week and an "X" shortly thereafter.
  17. Larry Ferguson

Larry Ferguson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same here. Mid America Motoplex in Sioux Falls is having their open house today. 35 degrees, snowing, and strong east wind. Not much global warming going on around here. And no, I don't want to step into that debate.:rofl
  18. theloop

theloop Long timer

Oddometer:
    The North America International Motorcycle show in Novi Michigan. I ordered the ABS model and and my out the door price with tax is going to be $6,811. I was told to expect a July delivery date.
  19. lrgart

lrgart 2 wheels and a motor, I’m in!

Oddometer:
    Had an encounter with the worst salesman ever!

Was at my friendly local Honda shop and saw the sweet new red R! Asked the salesman if they had fired one up and taken one out. He said he wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole, then explained that he had a 1000RR and that the new 500R was irrelevant! He berated all motorcycles but liter-class supersports, then asked what my current ride was or if I was even a rider yet!

Thankfully I can deal with a different salesman when I am ready to buy! Can't wait to read about everyone's experience with this new model.
  20. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow. I've heard some uninformed things from bike salesmen, but that takes the cake. What a poser.