Making Tracks with Garmin Receivers

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by R-dubb, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    You don't transfer files to a 60 you can only transfer Tracks. Don't know how it is done in Base Camp but in Mapsource with file open that has the tracks, you click "Download", click Tracks, click send.
  2. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    If you selected your Track in the List and then pressed "Send to Device", when the transfer window came up you should have already had "Tracks" checked. Press Send and the Track will have been sent to your 60CSx. Works the same in MapSource as Jerry noted but I think the terminology is: "Transfer"->check Tracks-> Send.

I think what you are asking though is how to find your Track on the GPSMAP60CSx.

1. Press MENU twice to open the Main Menu.
    2. Select the Tracks icon, and press ENTER to open the Tracks Page. You see the name of your Track (as Jerry noted, not the file name on your computer).

Hope that helps...you might also look over the manual as it's OK for basic feature/function "how to".

Cheers,
  3. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Nope. That was already suggested, anyway, on page 3.

The simplest way I've found to transfer BitsOfInformation, e.g. waypoints, tracks or routes (I'm not supposed to call them "files," right?) while in BaseCamp is to click-drag the item from the list on the left to the device I want it to go to. BaseCamp uses the iTunes/iPhoto user interface model which can be a little bewildering if you've never used one of those programs before, and Garmin's instructions are pretty minimal. In the spirit of this thread's original post, here's how I transfer items from BaseCamp to my 60CSx:

1. Connect the gps unit to the computer with a USB cable. You'll have to make sure it is a powered connection--typically keyboard USB ports won't work--since Garmin expects the device to be powered when connected via USB.

2. Launch BaseCamp. You should see along the left side a section in blue & gray tints that has 3 main divisions: at the top is a heading labeled My Garmin Devices, with your gps unit listed; below that is a heading labeled On My Mac with a listing of folders used to organize tracks, waypoints and routes; and below that is an unlabeled heading with columns labeled Type and Name. These columns show the tracks, waypoints and routes that are stored in the selected Garmin device or On My Mac folder. (Note, I assume BaseCamp for Windows doesn't say "Mac" but uses some other nomenclature...:evil Hopefully you can still follow along regardless of which OS you're using.)

[​IMG]

There is a lot of power packed in this area, and minimal instructions. I don't want to get bogged down in exporing this organizational structure so I'll just keep on toward getting the track transferred. The best way to learn is just start poking around...

3. Click on the My Collection folder under On My Mac and you will now have a list shown of every track, waypoint and route stored on the computer. Scroll through the list until you've located the track on your computer that you want to transfer to the gps.

4. Click-and-drag that track up the screen and drop it onto the Garmin device. As your mouse drags the track icon over the device name you'll see a green "+" appear under the pointer. The "+" indicates you are about to add something to the device (I'm guessing here...:wink:) Release the mouse button and the track will begin to be copied onto the gps device. You'll see rotating arrows next to the device name, indicating mysterious bits are in action, and once the arrows stop revolving the track has been transferred (copied, actually).

[​IMG]

5. To check, select your Garmin device by clicking on it and you will now see a list of every track, waypoint and route that is stored on the device. Note, the list will only show what's on your device when you've selected the device, and it will only show what's on your computer when you've selected My Collection.

[​IMG]

You can now disconnect the gps device and look in Tracks to find the transferred track. This method works as well with waypoints and routes. Use the shift and/or command keys to make multiple selections of items and transfer (copy) multiple items.

This method also works to copy items from your gps device to your computer as well.

Good luck!
  4. daviddsims

daviddsims n00b

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a way to easily delete a portion of a track in basecamp or on my Montana? I did not start a new track when I went atv riding and when I imported into basecamp the track has a straight line from Louisiana up to Arkansas where I started my ride. I only want the track from a certain time at the park entrance.
  5. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    That's a pretty basic operation--should be well covered in the Base Camp help files. Take a look, and it's also been covered pretty well in Layin' Down Tracks; look for discussions on Base Camp and editing tracks.

Good luck!
  6. Zerk

Zerk DILLIGAF

Oddometer:
    Straight jacket memories, and sedative highs
    I am looking for a tutorial or just a post or two on saving tracks or routes on the map. I want to take the tracks and have them appear on the map, just like a road that come with it.

I know how to create a track, and then save it as route or use again. I have Mapsource.

Thanks.
  7. Zerk

Zerk DILLIGAF

Oddometer:
    I think I just figured out, it is tracks I want and not route. For years, I have converting tracks to routes, and displaying current route on the map. This would be like drawing a road on the map for me.

Do I want to keep things as tracks if I want them to show up as road? How do I save the so they always appear just like the other roads? I am mainly using Garmin, but converting some Magellan files over.

What extension should I be using? I just recently learned about GPX. Magellan file names seem more intuitive.
  8. Zerk

Zerk DILLIGAF

Oddometer:
    When saving from Mapsource, save as gpx, and put into Garmin-GPX folder of your GPS, atleast for my Oregon 450. Then go to track manager and click view on map. I thought that just showed you it on the map, but I think it also leaves it visible after that. Not sure if my Zumo is this way.
  9. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Zerk, you have it about right. Not sure Oregon is same but on 78, never use "View Map" (of a track) it just shows whole track on map for you to look at, and map will not move as you ride.

Use "Show on Map" and then the track is on the Map page as you ride.
  10. Zerk

Zerk DILLIGAF

Oddometer:
    I am thinking I am going to need a map editing program. I'd like to convert tracks to roads, that will always be on the map, or atleast select on or off view.
  11. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tracks always show on the map in MapSource and they always show on your GPS if they are turned on.

Yes you can also create an overlay map (it will be on top of actual map) from tracks using a 3rd party program. Covered in other threads.
  12. Zerk

Zerk DILLIGAF

Oddometer:
    Since I started using the Oregon for offroad, instead of the Zumo, it has been easier to use the tracks, turninging them on and off and changing colors.
  13. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can anyone tell me if I open apps and then open a track I made
    Then click to "convert to a trip"
    Will keep the original file unaltered?