DR750 & DR800 owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MCmad, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    Hey maybe I can get Loaderdude to take it apart and ship it in lots and lots of those nice litte "ExpressMail" padded envelopes :D

I need to go ride.
  2. Simosez

Simosez go ride your bike.

Oddometer:
    Rob, you are still one Big short with the collection. i will have to get out your way soon.

Ray, even after being "shagged by carriage" it still sounds like a reasonable price for a low mileage unit.

buy it you wanker.:lol3
  3. ztaj

ztaj Jatz

Oddometer:
    As they say at Nike..."Just do it"
    I would've but I'm impulsive and have done some really stupid shit that's cost a lot of money in the past :wink:

$4 for a gallon of gas is cheeep too BTW :huh

Vapour... there is a setting in the setup that allows you choose pulses per miniute (PPM) I never had to adjust mine and it worked fine.

Nice pics Rob. quite a collection between you and doc
  4. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Simon I am using that spring at the moment it is 2mm thicker than stock, I will get back to you tonight.
  5. duckslider

duckslider unintentionaldrifter

Oddometer:
    Ah yes,Fred the Site Supervisor.:D..............real cute:huhjust don't touch his tucker,or he'll go ya! :eek1:evil:lol3
  6. bushybutt

bushybutt Bushybutt

Oddometer:
    Now that's what i'm talking about Rob.
    How cool is that....... Thank you
    I've never thought you were greedy, just bloody lucky.:wink:
  7. Ladder106

Oddometer:
    Didja mow the lawn specifically for the photo, Rob?

As the old proverb states,

"Two Bigs in the States are worth Four in Oz"....or something like that......maybe my maths is off again.:wink:

........and speaking of lawns.......How many of you drive past a golf course look out over the rolling greenery, trees, sand berms and ponds and think "God, I'd love to go ride that with a buncha mates"
  8. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gidday Ray, I mowed the grass 5 days prior, the next day was the start of our first frost they have come 3 weeks early this year.
    Hey getin back to the GPR muffler you have got me lost when you say 11mm hole out to 16mm the rear outlet in the one I got has a 27.5mm hole and this bit of pipe goes inside just guessing from memory say 4.5 inches , now this bit the baffle has a lot of holes in it are they the ones you drilled out, all of this comes out when that little screw you talked about is removed, hence removable baffle.
  9. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Orr yeerh, 4 bucks a gallon, I am paying 1.67 a litre for 98 ron, take 10 cents a litre off for 91 ron. you tight ass :lol3.
  10. Ladder106

Oddometer:
    Rob,
    No camera with me today...at the firehouse so I'll try to make words work.

When you remove the tiny screw you can slide the end baffle out. The baffle it a short piece of pipe with lots of smallish (maybe 4mm) holes drilled into the side.

On the end of the tube there is what looks like a washer welded on. The hole in this washer will let gases pass directly through the muffler and out.

The hole size of the washer on my pipe was 11mm. I increased it to 16 to (God I hope I got the maths right this time) double the area.

I'll send a photo when I can.
  11. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ray ,yep I gotcha now but I think mine is 27.5mm both ends I am going out to have a look and report back.
  12. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ray , she,s a straight through job no evidence of nothing ever being welded to the end of the baffle 27.5 mm straight through with the smaller holes round the outside.
    I thought it was a bit loud good for scaring the roo,s away :lol3 I may need it like this for when one day I put the rest of the gear into the motor.:D.
  13. Bigcaru

Bigcaru n00b

Oddometer:
  14. Ladder106

Oddometer:
    Rob,

Here's mine. The hole in the end started at 11mm. It's now 16mm.

Excuse the crummy mobile phone photos. Best I could do

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Ladder106

Oddometer:
    I believe I can safely claim to be the only Yank with a Dr750

AND

.....wait for it..............

A DR800 in these here United States.

The best part was that it was the Missus who actually talked me into getting it in the end. I don't remember the whole conversations but it ended with something like, "Just buy it you Wanker":D

I knew I kept her all these years for a reason. (and I'm sure the reason will show itself in good time at which point I'll wonder why I'm outside installing a hot tub and building a deck)

.......but for now....I GOT THE BIKE !!!

:happay

Big thanks to Loaderdude for bein patient whilst I crunched all the numbers, wrung my hands and bit pillows in frustration.
  16. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Ray good one your getting the bike, and did she really say, just buy it you wanker :lol3.
    Yep my baffle is the same but no washer on the end.
    So that makes 3 different variables between me , you , and Colum so what are GPR doing :eek1. any way I am happy with mine and after seeing your baffle now know how to quieten the thing down a tad if need be.
    Thank for pic,s.
    OK now we need photos of the SR/43 when she / he arrives and want to know what mods are happening etc etc .
    PS, if you take your hand of it we will stop calling you a wanker :lol3.
  17. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    From memory I can not recall the 750 being welded but my 800 is.
    Ask the Argintinian DR BIG club and look for a member called Jabroka
    and sorry about my spelling too .
  18. Resi

Resi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AFAIK are all the bolts welded with the crank...

Cheers,
    LarS
  19. bushybutt

bushybutt Bushybutt

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you bought the DR800 Ray.
    As a matter of interest I paid $5000 NZ for a '93 SR/43A with 46,000 kms which is the same as $4000- $4100 US and it still needed the suspension and brakes upgrading. It still does.
    Luckily it was only 7hr return ride to get it home but I did have to endure 3 &1/2 ride on the back of an Ultra Classic to pick it up.:D
    By the way Rob, 95 Ron + is $2.21/ litre here and you got to have eh.
    They still make the stuff though don't they.
  20. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congratulations! This is money well spent! :)

Now you have possibility to do something with one of bike performance wise while having "original" model too.

BTW...I recently done top end on my SR43 and NOW I understand how it was running new.
    We were out on ride with couple of friends, one with Vstrom 650, almost new. He claims he absolutely can't catch up with me on DR on straight line roll-on in middle speeds (like 50-100 kmph) and that DR pulls out surprisingly quick. I can honestly say it was not so until valves-seats-cylinder-etc. job.