All things Triumph Street Triple

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by queenpdog, Aug 17, 2010.

1. konadog

konadog n00b

Oddometer:
    i'm seriously considering this after test riding the new ducati monster 796 and realizing my bmw f650cs is not really motorcycling. being 6'2", is the triple really a small thang?
  2. Tennessee Jed 08

Tennessee Jed 08 Banned

Oddometer:
    Might be tight on your knees. A Speed Triple may fit you better. You'd need to sit on each to know for sure.
  3. Rincewind

Rincewind Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Strip-R owner checking-in. I got my 2010 in December 09 and have put over 9000 miles on it. Fantastic bike. I traded in my Tiger 1050 for it.

It's nice to see a Street Triple thread. Mine's got:

SW-Motech Center Stand
    SW-Motech rear rack w/Givi V46 topbox
    SW-Motech RAM balls for Zumo & iPhone mounts
    TechSpec tank pads
    Powerlet outlet on the RH-side plastic radiator cover
    Oxford heated grips
    Triumph flyscreen/visor (removed till winter comes)
    Triumph tank bag
    Pirelli Angel ST tires
    Triumph hugger (which is now cracked and in need of replacement)
    Helmet Guardian license plate helmet locks
    Widder vest hook-up

[​IMG]
  4. hngngnthr

hngngnthr Geriatric degenerate

Oddometer:
  5. Pokeyjoe

Pokeyjoe Vespa Primavera 150

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'2". Its OK. I think I'll lower the pegs to give my knees a break, though.
  6. Lep

Lep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been thinking about buying a Striple but lack of luggage capacity is a deterrent. The tail bags shown so far in this thread seem a bit lacking for a multi-day trip even with a good sized tank bag. Has anyone managed to fit panniers of any kind?

I realise that touring is not what the bike is about but I can only afford and only have space for one bike so I have to make it do everything. My F650GS has been faultless but after 5 years, 57,000 kms I'm getting restless. You know how that is.

A friend in his 80s owned a Striple for a while and he loved it and only sold it to raise money for another project.

Lep
  7. queenpdog

queenpdog Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. Lep

Lep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    queenpdog, thanks for the link. I'll follow up to see how much more expensive that kit is Australia.

Lep
  9. hellsbuddha

hellsbuddha Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here are some more options:

1. Baglux/ bagster tank cover and bag
    pro
    1. Protects the tank (black paint is very soft)
    2. A variety of different bags to suit day tripping, etc

Cons
    1. bloody expensive

2. Ventura
    Pros
    1. Dedicated rack for the bike and can fit a variety of luggage
    2. Will keep the rain off your back

Cons
    1. As above

3. Arrow system / Fresco low boy with any old soft luggage (this is tongue in check as it involves a whole new system with arrow low boy, or an import from Europe)

Pro
    1. Sounds great
    2. Allows a variety of luggage

Cons
    1. Expensive

However, there maybe some people in Aus who do a cut down low exhaust system which will help with the lugguage options.

Also ask on street-triple.co.uk as there are a number of Australian owners.

Finally a link to a review from a chap in NZ.

http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2010/08/triumph-street-triple-review-revisited.html

hth

sam
  10. queenpdog

queenpdog Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. Spuds

Spuds On my way home

Oddometer:
    One of the best features of the Street Triple is the 17" wheels which gives you so many tire options. I believe your Triumph runs a 120/70r-17 up front and a 180/55r-17 in the rear.

So, for gravel road exploration you may want to look at some of the tires that were developed for the Buell and Ducati big tralies that have a 75% road and 25% dirt profile like the Dunlop D616 and the Perelli Scorpion Sync.
  12. queenpdog

queenpdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, for you other owners of the Street....

We have a lot of seal coated roads around here, and since it is summer (road construction season), resurfacing is in full effect. I keep having little pieces of gravel stick to my front tire, and then make a terrible scraping sounds going through the front fender. I'm semi used to it now, but the first few times it scared the crap out of me.

Has anyone raised their front fender a bit to eliminate this issue? I am thinking of experimenting with it.

[​IMG]
  13. queenpdog

queenpdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I have put another 600 or so miles on the little beast and thought I'd post up some more "impressions" and pics. Today I really put her through her paces. I did some freeway superslab to some Minnesota secondary roads. Then, hopped through some little towns and crossed the big Sip into Wisconsin. Between Lake City, MN and Pepin, WI lies beautiful Lake Pepin. This is where the river widens to a point of being a couple miles across.

[​IMG]

Next up was Wisconsin's Rustic Road 51. It is 4 miles of packed to loose gravel and clay, with 4 water crossings. Yeah, I know....not the best footing for a sport-ish bike, but she did just great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After that I rocketed south to hit some of Wisconsin's finest "Alphabet Roads". These are county roads named with letters (C, SS, TT, CC, A, D, ....you get the picture). Lots of tight hairpin turns and long 75 mph sweepers. The Street Triple is Nirvana in this environment.

I hightailed it home with some more highway and superslab, all in all covering about 300 miles.

[​IMG]

The bike didn't miss a beat, got about 47 mpg, handled everything I could throw at her. I love this bike.

As fall approaches, I will be making a couple of mods to the bike. I am installing some heated grips and an accessory plug for some heated gear. Does anyone know if there is a way to boost the power capacity/output of the battery and charging system? I've heard there isn't much juice to play with there.

:clap:clap:clap

Juia
  14. hngngnthr

hngngnthr Geriatric degenerate

Oddometer:
    I loved mine too and I'll miss it. I replaced it with a Tiger 1050 so I've got the fantastic triple engine and more comfortable ergonomics. At 6-0 tall though, I can barely flat-foot it. I think the Street 675 has about the same HP as the Tiger 1050!

Enjoy your Striple.:1drink
  15. burgerking

burgerking echt bezopen

Oddometer:
    Here are few pics of my StripleR during a recent weekend trip to the Eifel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lovely nimble little bike, great handling, more than enough power. Suits me perfect :beer
  16. JeffPM

JeffPM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those are some beautiful roads up there, I just picked up my STR last weekend. I've been too busy and have only had it out for a couple of short rides. Here she is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. SportsLawGuru

SportsLawGuru Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was messing around with photo editing today and put this together. I thought the STripR fans might like it. :D

[​IMG]
  18. queenpdog

queenpdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good stuff, keep the pics coming. I never get tired of looking at this bike. Just lovely.
  19. queenpdog

queenpdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    BK,
    Looks like you have the Triumph tank protector. I ordered one, but can't figure out how the little tape pad thingies are supposed to work. Are they truly double sided (sticky)? I could only get one side to peel off. Any tips would be most appreciated.
  20. burgerking

burgerking echt bezopen

Oddometer:
    I am afraid can't help you there, my STR came with the tank protector (and the bellypan, flyscreen, rear hugger)