The pillion bike?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Echo3Niner, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    I cant see how her knees can be comfortable for long period of time on that V11. If she is truly comfortable like that after hours, she's a rare bird, marry her already.

IMO, pillion bike should be about passenger comfort, if your passenger is not comfortable, they will not enjoy the ride, more than likely, will not ride for long nor for many trips.
    My wife has ridden with me on many different motorcycles: BMW R1150RS, K1200RS, K75, Honda VFR800, Blackbird, GL1800, Aprilia Futura, Moto Guzzi V10, Suzuki Bandit 1200, Kawasaki Concours and more..
    Out from all of the motorcycle she's ridden with me, she loves riding on the back on the Burgman 650. She likes the large seat, backrest, large underseat storage & the ride itself. Burgman is well capable of triple digit speeds, low to ground weight distribution for a very stable ride, very capable at canyon carving, even at low speed maneuvers, unlike the super heavy GL or larger touring rigs.
    If you have never tried a maxi-scoot like a Burgman, it's easy to think that it's just another scooter or scooters are no comparison to motorcycles. But once you try it, you may find it more capable than you ever thought.
  2. fallingoff

fallingoff Banned

Oddometer:
    I know you think that bmw's are without character.

but try a k12s, ride one with the boss (wife)

she loves being pillion.

just a thought.

cheers
  3. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    Maybe she'll chime in. She's an inmate.

[​IMG]
  4. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    Just a couple of Guzzi Weirdos... :lol3
  5. nazdravanul

nazdravanul Big Bad Wolf

Oddometer:
    Holly Moses :))) That's quite a sight :) As always, reality is way stranger than fiction :) Enjoy your ride, guys :thumb
  6. JakeS

JakeS Yup

Oddometer:
    Vrod muscle is one nice power cruiser.. could go for a more comfortable seat.. Handles well and im sure there is a decent aftermarket for it seeing its a HD...
    Its very refined for a HD suspension tranny and engine are all a great match for each other.. Clutch less shifting no problem, sounds is addicting and it revs quick...

If you don't want to own one you at least need to ride one hahaha

The abundance of torque from any rpm range is impressive and that 240 rear can break free nicely when you get used to it.. also handles great for a power cruiser, straight roads where not the focus for this beast, with a little assistance it leans right over to the peg feelers..

I come from a line of sport bikes from bmw to suzuki and that was one fun ride...
  7. lemieuxmc

lemieuxmc Banned

Oddometer:
    I love my Guzzi and so does my wife.

Now about that 100 hp... you may have wanted a nympho-maniac, bikini model, Nobel Prize winner in Physics, who does volunteer work with special needs kids, has a billion dollar trust fund, and is a virgin, but I guess your wife had to lower her expectations just a tad too.

There are only two kinds of motorcycles... and the other ones aren't Moto Guzzi's.

Attached Files:

8. redridinhood

redridinhood the "other" woman

Oddometer:
    Ok, from this pillion's perspective:
    This one is fun....

Attached Files:

9. redridinhood

redridinhood the "other" woman

Oddometer:
    But this one is FUNNER!!!

Attached Files:

10. Juggernot

Juggernot Land Locked Sailor

Oddometer:

Echo3Niner this is what it is all about. Take her along for the test ride and she will tell you which one she likes. I was totally in love with the idea of a Ully. My test ride on the bike showed me some things I didn't like about it, but Juggerwife hated it and just wanted off that bike. The Tiger was her pick, it is really her bike (even though she is too short to actually ride it, I just pilot it for her). I see way too many people buy bikes they think they will like before testing them out. The whole bought it new and trailered it home bit. Let her tell you what she likes. Hopefully you both fall in love with the same bike. Best of luck.
  11. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is OUTSTANDING writing, I'm gonna have to steal that for my other forums! I agree, she did have to lower her expectations a bit; so you are right about the whole issue, that's why I asked (as a joke) "I'm not asking too much, am I?" on the first post.

Basically, as I said, it's likely to be the Multistrada, if it wasn't so darn tall. Though we'll have to go take a look at one, and see just how bad it is. Everyone told me my Triumph was tall too, but because of the seat design and the way it fits my anatomy, turns out I'm about as flat footed on it as I was on the Interceptor.
  12. Echo3Niner

Oddometer:
    I hear ya, and we intend to. Gonna try the Triumphs when I go up for some maintenance in a few weeks. We'll have to try to find a Duc dealer that actually has both the Multi and the Diavel in stock (which wont be easy); but, we'll try to get a seat on them if nothing else.

I'll have to do some research on the Guzzi's; they are cool, and I've never ridden one, though I have seen a few at bike night events.

Thank everyone for your input, and please keep it coming if you'd like.
  13. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    My wife says the RT we have is the finest two up motorcycle she's ever ridden on. She traded her R1150R in to help us buy it. Yeah, it doesn't have a big bag of horsepower, but it's surprisingly light for its size and can be flicked around pretty well on tight backroads.

I'd say C14 for big road missle and sweeper duty and RT for backroad haul ass two up with gear.

But hey, that's me. :D
  14. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    +1

They're pretty wonderful. Silly power and speed. That motor has plenty of charisma, that's for sure. The exhaust note is pretty wonderful; it's got that BMW F1 rasp going.
  15. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    I found that it feels a tad higher than my R1200GS with the seat in high position. That's mainly because the form of the seat is pushing the legs outward. I have no problem with it, but I have long legs.
  16. Echo3Niner

Oddometer:
    See, that's worrisome for me. The Interceptor was fine, but the seat is really square, and my hips got sore after long rides. The Trumpet has a more tapered seat at the front, kinda like a bicycle seat, and even though it may be a little taller bike, feels better to me than the VFR did. So a wide seat on the Multi might kill it for me... Unless the touring seat is better...
  17. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    I guess you'll have to take a look yourself. My perception might even be wrong as I never rode my GS over there. The Ducati shop is around the corner, I always walked and therefore don't have AB comparison.
  18. Echo3Niner

Oddometer:
  19. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    The multi really isn't all that tall imho - you've been away from dirt bikes an on itty bitty road bikes too long I think:deal

You could even get the blingy mode and hit the short-arse button on the suspension :lol3

The wife and I tried one on for size and if anything, I thought it was a bit overly compact for two-up touring, but overall was pretty impressed. I'd love to put some miles on one two up.

The KTM SMT is worth a test ride as well. Nice sporting v2 motor as well.

Have you thought about the Tiger 1050 as well?
  20. tundra61

tundra61 I wish I had a title

Oddometer:
    I know you said you don't want a German bike - but I feel my k1200r meets all of your criteria.
    • Soul and distinction because you hardley ever see them on the road (+ I have a custom paint color) and it looks like no other bike available
    • Performance with 160+ hp and sport bike handling (also have a remus)
    • Pillion comfort given longer wheelbase
    • Touring with side bags and good windscreen
    • Other comfort items include MV bar risers and peg lowering kit
    I have a heated corbin seat with removable backrest for when I can convince the wife to take a ride with me.

Last but not least - you can get great deals on them.

Attached Files: