Classic Volvos

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Bloodweiser, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Bloodweiser

Bloodweiser honestly

Oddometer:
    starting to fall in love with cars from the 'drive it like you hate it' era :raabia

122s, 544s, p18000s...

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/70zgnw2YzJM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

what can be said? Can't find too much info besides wiki.
  2. TEXASYETI

TEXASYETI Call me "thread killer!"

Oddometer:
    My pops was a Volvo fanatic - and passed it on to me.

Drove a 122s two-door to high school, bought a 142s as my own car, and then had a 164E that only dies after I drove into the back of a dump truck. Awesome cars.

Guy in my neighborhood has a 142 he is wanting to send to a good home. Spare engines, doors, hood, transmissions, etc. Just need the money.
  3. YamaGeek

YamaGeek Skeletor sparklemuffin.

Oddometer:
    I regret selling our '67 122s to a co-worker. I'd just done an entire front end rebuild and rear axle bushing fix, plus the engine was a B20 out of a '72 142 that had 20K on it. That thing drove great, unstoppable.
  4. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh, my!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. roadholder

roadholder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Always liked these....

[​IMG]
  6. PecosBill

PecosBill Get off my f'n lawn!

Oddometer:

sweet.
  7. dagwood

dagwood Banned

Oddometer:
    never seen one like that. bitchin mob car.

:thumb

I had a 142. miss that pos. couldn't kill it with 200k on it. the wife got rear ended hard enough to roll it.
    the emt's told her the car saved her from a loud fast ride in an ambulance.:thumb

and I still have a classic volvo, it's doing the dishes right now. :poser

:hide
  8. CGH

CGH Polluting the ether

Oddometer:

I've always liked these. :thumb

Although I like the wagon a little more...

[​IMG]
  9. Anorak

Oddometer:
    I used to see this one in San Mateo while I was driving my stock '51 Merc.
    [​IMG]
  10. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Mine was orange with a pine green interior :patch

[​IMG]

The fender yer not seeing was blue.

Little brother had a 164, but he never could get it running. :cry

M
  11. Norhasken

Norhasken Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer:
    Not mine, I had a white one but I miss it sometimes, a really solid feeling car, ate Corvettes on Ute pass.

[​IMG]
  12. YamaGeek

YamaGeek Skeletor sparklemuffin.

Oddometer:
    It's nice looking but geeze, half of the fun of these cars was the surefooted traction and ground clearance. I took ours out on a rocky spit on the McKensie river that jeep owners would drive onto, blew a few minds with that car.
  13. Vbird

Vbird In Room 237

Oddometer:
    Roger Moore's car from "The Saint" in AACA Museum-Hershey Pa.

[​IMG]
  14. PaleRider

PaleRider gelande/strasse

Oddometer:
    way cool :thumb

15. PaleRider

Oddometer:
    My family has had a lot of Volvos ...

Volvo 164
    This was Dad's first Volvo. It met its end when it tangled with a semi. Dad was brand agnostic to that point, but the safety features and crush zones enabled all four to walk away.

Volvo 244
    Not the "luxury" of the 164, but every bit the solid and reliable car. The car was Economics Professor beige - the dismal science. This replaced the totaled 164 and was driven to way over 200K miles. It was traded on a Volvo 850 (see below).

Volvo 145
    After having a Ford Courier and a Jeep Wagoneer as a second car (camping, backpacking, firewood getter), Dad picked up a used white 145 wagon. This is the Volvo I wish I had now. It looked exactly like this picture.
    [​IMG]

Volvo 245
    The 145 was getting long in the tooth (250K miles) and Dad had an opportunity to upgrade to a gently used 245 wagon - "hot chocolate w/ marshmallows brown." This car was donated to the "needy" when Dad moved to a Honda Odyssey mini-van in the 2000s. Coincidence that he abandon the brand, I think not.

Volvo 850
    Dad still has this car (and a Honda van). It's bullet proof. He has over 220K miles and would not hesitate to take it on a long trip, and does.

Volvo 740
    PaleRider's (wife) first Volvo. Solid, safe car, but you needed a sundial to time it from zero to sixty. Wife used it for kiddie duty when they were young. Traded up to a V70XC for the wagon room and FWD (740 anemic rear-driver not so good in Colorado).

Volvo V70XC
    Last Volvo I'll own. This thing was a huge money suck. Not like all the cars above. I bought my first Japanese cars, ever, due to this POS.

Brother:
    Volvo 244 (traded for mini van, family got "too big")
    Volvo S60 (still owns)
  16. PaleRider

Oddometer:
    that is a beautiful example :tb

17. Anorak

Oddometer:
    What sort of issues did you have? I have seen some reference to problems with the V70XC. I have a 1999 V70XC with about 100k miles that I've owned for 85k miles. The only issues I've had have been the ABS module which just needed the power connections resoldered and the throttle position sensor went bad which was replaced under a recall/service bulletin outside of the original warranty.
  18. PaleRider

Oddometer:
    mine was a '99 as well ...

- leaks in the fwd/awd (front), at least 5+ trips to/from dealer, never really fixed
    - engine gaskets continually needing replaced (2x) - less than 100K mi.
    - electronics/computer: engine surge, sputter (eventual Volvo recall)

$4000+ in non-maintenance type repair, repairs you might find acceptable after many, many miles. Whole different car from the other ones listed.
    :deal
  19. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    My first car was a 122s. Great car- easy to work on, nice to drive, safe-ish. My wife had a 240 when we first started going out. We bought that car for $625, drove it for three years (nothing but oil changes), and sold it for $600 as soon as I put the ad up. I'd definitely own another rwd volvo. The trouble is it's impossible to find any of the newer volvos with a manual transmission. I'd kind of like a 740 turbo wagon with a stick shift, but they're as rare as hen's teeth.

Oh, and there used to be a site called "amazon journal" IIRC, that had some good info on the 122 series, and the swedish bricks forum had some great info too. I owned a P1800 for a while, but it was a project that never came to fruition. Someday I'll own another.
  20. Robert_C

Robert_C Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a 1956 PV-544, the ones that look like old fords. I actually liked it. It was reasonably peppy and handled well. It eventually became a problem finding 6volt parts though.