Utards whos riding what

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by frog, May 22, 2008.

1. RetrogradE

RetrogradE Banned

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that's about right.

Told my bro who lives in Vegas that "I can wheelie [now]" so I showed him.

You can only imagine his amazement when I was almost 6" off the ground.

Bugged-eyed and everything.

:evil
  2. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Probably a fluke, but Todd-squads wife's BMW stripped the splined shaft and the clutch
    plate splines. I know I told you to just give a good clutch pop to loft the front end.
    I just forgot to mention you're not on a Yamaha.:wink::D

[​IMG]
  3. dieselcruiserhead

dieselcruiserhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    Salt Lake City Utah (formerly Park City/Heber)
    Got back from our 4 day trip down to Green River / Swell / Moab area... Here was a highlight among many many more. Trip report coming whenever I get a chance. What a blast...

[​IMG]
  4. trackhead

trackhead Transient

Oddometer:
    Caption contest..........
  5. frog

frog Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 1150 spindle was on it's way when I did a clutch but I did ride the shit out of it and did put nitrous on it.:evil A few wheelies should be ok.:deal
  6. dakardad

dakardad Not waiting for anyone

Oddometer:
    Looks like you ran into one of the desert 'blobs'.

I was down south a couple days ago and it seems the counties have been busy doing alot of grading. Anybody see the same?
  7. harcus

harcus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea, verily, I christen you "Katoom LaBoom". Go forth & multiply! :D
  8. Double Moo

Double Moo lookin' for adventure

Oddometer:
    Shit....
  9. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You must really be pissed at that bike.

I can't tell of you're trying to drown it or kick the shit out of it. Or both.
  10. trackhead

trackhead Transient

Oddometer:
    As big as Andre is, it was probably just slammed from over his head prior to the click of the shutter.
  11. The Walrus

The Walrus Gone and back again.

Oddometer:
    Rode hard and put away wet...........
  12. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :clap

Not bad.:lol3
  13. dieselcruiserhead

Oddometer:
    lets just say this... There is a video... :)

(coming shortly)
  14. trackhead

trackhead Transient

Oddometer:
    Strong work.
  15. mknight

mknight Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was just there for 4 days of riding as well (last Wednesday through Sunday). That picture is at the bottom of Dead Cow Wash. It was rideable on Wednesday. We went back and rode it again on Friday and those logs that helped you get across were all floating in several feet of water so we did not attempt it again for fear of having the exact result you show above :)

However, we did ride across the head of Ten Mile at Dripping Springs (where the road crosses). My son chose the one spot out of 100 to cross where the water was at least waist deep. He didn't' completely submerge his bike, and at least had the mindset to immediately try to keep the airbox above water (brand new 2012 KX250F).

Pulled the air filter and saw water and sand in the intake. Rather than take any chances I towed him back to camp 10 miles. Just tore the bike down Sunday night and found some sand on the intake valves, but no water in the oil or crank. Taking all the valves apart tonight to try and preserve what I can.

I feel your pain.
  16. dakardad

dakardad Not waiting for anyone

Oddometer:
    On the Buckhorn wash rd. Going South, a few miles past the I70 underpass is a 'motorcycle trailhead'.
    What trail is that and whats it like?
  17. mknight

mknight Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think you're talking about this one.....right?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If so, that is the trailhead to 5MOH (Five Miles of Hell). Super fun trail, but only if you like Trials type riding. Definitely not a "big-bike" trail...regular dirt bikes or trials bikes for sure.

A few miles further south is another marked Motorcycle trailhead. This will get you access to the Blue/Green/Orange and Red trails. Blue/Green/Orange are much more "mild" and just typical desert singletrack.

There is also the Waterfall Trail singletrack on the Behind the Reef road just west of Temple Mountain. All of these trails are part of the Temple Mountain trail system, originally known as the "Dick Brass" trail system. Dick Brass is THE man that we all owe all these trails to....he literally created them all (story is that he originally created 5MOH to piss off the mountain bikers :)

The trails are maintained and sponsored by the Sage Riders motorcycle club of which I am a member. There are some very dedicated individuals in the club, particularly in Emery and Carbon counties that help maintain these trails.
  18. dieselcruiserhead

Oddometer:
    We hit that too. Excellent work by Sage and very neat. Here are some highlights.. (Bikes were loaded as well)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was some fun sweepey stuff though and some fun deeper sand washes that I enjoyed...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. dieselcruiserhead

Oddometer:
    These photos are via that northern trailhead. It took us about 1/2 way through on day 2 of riding after a fairly long and ass-kicking day 1, so we were slow moving especially after riding fun sweepie double track of Coal Wash, Eva Conover , and Eagle Canyon that morning, so I think we would have opted for something easier in hindsight. But it was fun and once we did start feeling it on the less techie sections (basically, anything other than the "extreme" section of Orange Trail) then it was a lot of fun.. We rode Orange to Red to the Temple Mountain side. Also burned up a surprisingly high amount of gas in the sand so we had to bail and head straight to Hanksville from the Goblin Valley trailhead, though we could have hit someone up I'm sure for gas as there were riders all over the place...
  20. dieselcruiserhead

Oddometer:
    Crazy and that is exactly where that spot is. We attempted all routes, one guy (least experienced too -- gotta love that) made it cleanly across. The rest of us had issues but I was the only one who got completely submerged. Has me spooked to maybe check by valves though she's still running just fine, filter definitely got wet though...

We were tempted to run 10 mile but didn't, opted for Mary's / Guy's / Enduro and some of the other things home. One guy ended up putting a small crack in his angle for a broken bone as we were cooked. thought it was just a sprain but it ended up being a small crack. Poor guy.. Had a f'ing blast though and what a great area. Luge was awesome too...

Here is me attempting to cross the bridge at first...
    [​IMG]

And what looked like a doable crossing according to the stick. I went in the super deep spot instead of where by friend was guiding me, I misinterpreted his instructions of where he wanted me to go...

[​IMG]

how to get your bike drained out and back running in 10 minutes... (use kick starter to test drainage to avoid hydrolock). Did not get any water in the oil luckily so I don't think it sucked any water in, as far as I can tell...
    [​IMG]