TuneECU for 990 - got tunes?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by jetpoweredmonkey, Oct 31, 2010.

1. ÖÖ.

ÖÖ. Ajaa kuin mummo

Oddometer:
    SAS system is connected but SAI has been unchecked from the map.

F-L setting are from 07-08 akra map. Flame appears usually in low to medium revs and medium throttle. Do you think this could be something to adjust?
  2. 99spike

99spike n99b

Oddometer:
    The valve in front of the airbox on US spec is the Purge valve for the canister (blink code 54 if unplugged or p0444), The SAS is behind the airbox above the rear cylinder (blink 53 or p0413). The latter can be turned of in TuneECU, but not the former. Interesting that EU map fixed it. I understand the EU bikes have no purge valve so makes sense. What other changes are there in an EU map, good or bad? Is this the elegant fix for the purge removal that beats the 22K resistor mod?
  3. GLRRA47

GLRRA47 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently did the SAS and canister removal - along with Rottweiler intake and exhaust. I left the purge valve connected to electrical to avoid an error. However, now hear a whine when decelerating at about 3K or so. Wonder if it's the purge since no longer hoses connected to it. I just picked up some resistors from Radio Shack and plan to remove the purge valve and jumper the connector with the resistor. (Instructions how - are on the web)
  4. Zuber

Zuber Zoob

Oddometer:
    The valve won't make more noise than just a small click. You may have a vacuum leak?
  5. BigTony

BigTony Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So long as the purge is still hooked up when you load a map in tuneecu with sas unchecked, you can then remove the purge and you won't get any error codes and no resistor is needed
  6. GLRRA47

GLRRA47 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ah - yes - click only - just tested that. And I didn't know SAS unchecked eliminated the purge valve error. Well, there's now a resistor - so double sure now. Guess the whistle / whine I hear must be something associated with the air box removal. Probably it was always there - just never hear it. Maybe butterfly motors I never heard when the air box was in place? In any case she's running great.
  7. 99spike

99spike n99b

Oddometer:
    Can I ask : What map are you running?
    Using KM601US0704501Map & SAI unchecked SAS code goes away after load, but cannot get purge code to stay off without leaving the purge valve connected. I am wondering if anyone knows the difference between US map and KM601EU0704501Map? Just Purge? or something else? Is this a viable plan B? Or am I just doing it all wrong.
  8. Rodknee

Rodknee the post is mightier than the sword...

Oddometer:
    spike, i had the same problem as you. on my US bike, a 2012, i uploaded/downloaded maps 10x with all of them having SAI unchecked. i had the purge valve error after unplugging it as well. big tony is incorrect regarding this.

once i downloaded KM601EU1102002 from tuneecu and disabled SAI and reuploaded it into the bike, the problem was resolved. i do not have a resistor at all, i just have the connector removed. again, no lights in the last 3 rides, so i think it is good to go.

i compared the above map to my stock map, and it seemed to be identical. i compared each tunable function and they seemed to be the same, so i am content with the map. i did not want to make any changes to the map at this time, other then SAI and purge valve removal.
  9. BigTony

BigTony Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used the same map (KM601US0704501Map) when I first removed the sai. This is a 2007 btw.

I initially removed the purge, then powered up tuneecu and loaded the map with sas unchecked. This resulted in an error code .

Then I plugged the purge in and reset error codes with tuneecu. I went for a ride and confirmed no error code. Then after turning the bike off and on, with purge still hooked up and no pre-existing error code, I reloaded the map with sas unchecked. I then turned the bike off, removed the purge, and the error code hasn't returned since. I figured the key was loading the map without a pre-existing error condition, and removing the purge subsequent to that with power off..

I don't know about newer bikes but it most definitely works on my 07, and lots of folks have reported this working without resistors per my search on trying to fix my issue. Keep at it - it'll work. Just trying to help
  10. Zuber

Zuber Zoob

Oddometer:
    The key is to load the map first, then pull the SAS. Otherwise, the existing map will set the code before you load the new map.
  11. 99spike

99spike n99b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the answers. They're all appreciated as they contribute to an increase in understanding of this problem, and the clarification of a software based resolution.
    keep em coming.
  12. 99spike

99spike n99b

Oddometer:
    Ditto '07 990.
    Just to make sure I am clear we are talking about the Purge error (P0444), and not the SAS pump error (P0413?)?
    That said, the only difference I see is that you "went for a ride" with the purge hooked up. If that's the case, and considering I've now ridden multiple times with the purge in, and no codes, all that's left is to remove it again. Will try one last time before going to the EU map. Watch this space.
  13. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK. My '07 is running well from 3000 up. I am happy enough with power and mileage. Maybe a small lag cracking throttle from near idle. But my concern now is with the lower RPM and throttle opening area--below 3000 RPM and throttle openings under 10%. At idle and up to 3000, bike is very rich.

Currently F-L switch is at 20% opening in this RPM range. Should I work on leaning the F map or lowering the switch to get to the L map sooner? Are there some basic minimums on running on the F map--like don't set switch below xx%?

Thanks
  14. azoto

azoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi everybody,
    I'm trying to use LM-2 to log afr, RPM and TPS and everything is working fine when I try to accelerate while not riding. When riding it all I can log is AFR since the rest seems to be stuck at a certain level.

Anyway, right now I already achieved around 45-48 mpg with 2-1(with baffle) and an open air filter.

Any idea to fix my problem is really welcome :clap
  15. Gustavo.Ramos

Gustavo.Ramos Long timer

Oddometer:
    45mpg!?

What problem????

Me bike must have a fuel leak....
  16. azoto

azoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    that's what I thought before reading of someone achieving up to 60 mpg...

The problem is the LM-2 not reading RPMs and TPS position correctly
  17. renogeorge

Oddometer:
    You have my attention. I have similar exhaust and intake and would love to talk with you about your map and the LM-2. I have been looking at similar devices. Are you able to use the single channel/cylinder model and then adjust for the rear cylinder??
  18. Gustavo.Ramos

Gustavo.Ramos Long timer

Oddometer:
    IIRC that ride was mostly downhill tucked behind the screen. I'd be fairly happy with low 40's with CPR filter + akros
  19. azoto

azoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @renogeorge
    Right now I'm running the original R map (2011 even thou mine is a "regular" 2009) leaner by 2% from 0 to 20% TPS and up to 7000 RPM. L map -2% everywhere but last 2 columns.
    It's still a little bit on the rich side, but much more closer to what I'm looking for (i.e. around 14.7 when cruising and richer when accelerating).

I'm using a single channel LM2 monitoring its wideband sensor on front cylinder.
    All the mod are mirrored on the rear cyl maps, but I'll check its AFR later on.

Next step (map's ready, but weather's not) is to smooth the ignition map in the range around 2500-4000 rpm.

The akro map gave me an afr around 11-12 almost in every occasion...

my 2 cents

PS: please note that I haven't tested the rear cylinder, and, above all, have no idea of what I'm doing: so don't take my words for it

edit: no snorkel and o2, epc and sai(sas) are disabled
  20. renogeorge

Oddometer:
    Thanks Azoto. I appreciate the information!

I was just reading some reviews on the LM-2. Not being able to log RPM seems to be a common complaint.