Forgotten Cool Cars of the 90s

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Rogue_Ryder, Feb 19, 2012.

1. RichBeBe

RichBeBe All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer:
    My step-brother and his wife usually have five cars and all higher end and different purposes. I am not even sure what they have now, but typically they each have an SUV, sedan, and she usually has a sports coupe or convertible. Last time I was at their house he had a X6M or whatever it is called, the new ugly crossover with M badges, an AMG S series, some big Infiniti SUV, and SLK (not sure what model, and a 7-series.
    They never keep a car for more than three years so there is a lot of turnover and they have had some fun stuff.
    I was talking to his dad today and we were talking cars, his son just bought the new 4-door Porsche and loves it. He said it is second favorite car ever, his first being his 850CSI. I remember him saying if they came out with an new 8series and it was as good as the first he might only own one car and be very happy.
    The thing i remember about it was ripping on the highway and the windows closing automatically.
  2. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hard for me to forget 90's cars since I still drive a 97 Cherokee and Grreatwife barely qualifies with a 99 4Runner. :lol3

[​IMG]
  3. discochris

discochris Stayin' Alive

Oddometer:
    Sometimes the Twin Cities, Sometimes NW Wisconsin

My wife had that generation of Cavalier when we first started dating. I hated that car. It had a five speed in it that made my 78 VW bug transmission feel like an NSX. I did manage to get it up to 110 mph in the middle of nowhere North Dakota once while she was sleeping in the passenger seat. That damn car would not die, even after getting hit by a taxi cab. I actually saw it two years ago, beat to hell in a bad part of Minneapolis. It was still alive.

Definitely NOT a cool car.
  4. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    :thumb

My sister had a black 850T sedan with tan leather for a few years. Good god that car was fast. Nice solid piece of kit. I liked it, but there was a lot wrong with it and the AT was a piece of shit.
  5. Range Motorsport

Range Motorsport Junk collector

Oddometer:
    1980's And they were more popularly known here as the Chrysler Conquest.
  6. Range Motorsport

Range Motorsport Junk collector

Oddometer:
    Had a chance to drive one with 400+hp that ran 12's. You would never assume it was that fast by looking at it.
  7. parannoyed

parannoyed When in doubt, mumble.

Oddometer:
    My all-time fav cars were the DSM line before 92 1/2. Those 6 bolt motors were amazingly strong and with $2000, some ebay shopping, and some wrenching they were a rocket.

I've been lucky enough to have 4 of them. 3 first gens and a 2nd gen GSX (nice car) but #3 was the most fun, it was a white exterior, tan leather, early 92 TSI AWD 5 speed. I strapped a real (not from ebay) ported Evo III 16g to it, ported exhaust manifold, 560cc injectors from an evo, Apexi SAFC II, 3 inch turbo back exhaust, cat deleted, junked the balance shafts, hard upper intercooler pipe and misc little mods. Holy screamer. That was a fast mamajama.

Wife has given the nod to #5 after we have the new baby. :clap

Now I'm driving an SSEI, similar to the GTP but bigger. They are nice cars, not a race car, but for the long freeway trips with the family and a trunk full of stuff they are fun and comfortable.
  8. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Aspiring advrider

Oddometer:
    I remember one time taking my modded VQ3.0L Maxima up to about 130mph before it hit the limiter. I was blasting the doors off of a 3 series BMW. All of a sudden a car passed me like I was standing still. My friend in the passenger seat was laughing his ass off.

It was a VW Corrado. Thing just blew my doors off. Awesome car.
  9. Goggles Paisano

Goggles Paisano La Muerte Peluda

Oddometer:
    My buddy had a G60 Corrado. Still the most fun car I've even driven. 4 banger supercharged and cornered like it was on rails.
  10. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    So did GM have a thing in the showroom that said, "Your Mullet must be at least this long to make a purchase"? :rofl
  11. Sniper X

Oddometer:
  12. CodyY

CodyY ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer:
    Show me a faster (comparable) vehicle any given year from any other mfg.

There was no Crown Victoria SS, No 13 second 89 Dodge anything, The Lightning was a solid competitor, but nobody was doing a Turbo'd AWD SUV in 92, and that makes em cool in anybody's book
  13. Uncle Pollo

Uncle Pollo Bad Hombre

Oddometer:
  14. Sniper X

Oddometer:
    I didn't say they weren't fast or cool, I just said something about Mullets before anyone else did......and the M5 would slay em all.......hate to say it but true. BTW I always wanted a Typhoon.....or the picup version..I forget it's moniker.
  15. Sniper X

Oddometer:
    There is a NICE one here in NM for sale that is cherry. Too bad he wanted so much for it or I would have bought it instead of the Focus...glad I got the Focus though!
  16. CodyY

CodyY ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer:
    Cyclone.

Which M5?
  17. Snarky

Snarky Vodka Infused.

Oddometer:
    So awesome.
  18. Sniper X

Oddometer:
    the first one with a 4.0 V8, the E39 in 1998.
  19. Sniper X

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah! Cyclone! It too had a 6cyl Vortech right? Was it turboed?
  20. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    Typhoons and Syclones are still cool especially since they're so rare. but don't be so quick to dismiss Ford and Dodge they had some quick shit besides the Lightning.
    Dodge:
    1992 Viper RT/10 13.10@108 488 V10 400 six-speed 3.07 CD 7/92
    [​IMG]dodge omni glh 10's 1/4 mile
    [​IMG]
    Granted those aren't the GLHS' factory numbers but it doesn't take much tweaking to tune em up to go faster.
    Ford:
    1995 Mustang Cobra R 13.67@102.82 351 300 five-speed 3.27 MCR A/S 95
    Thunderbird Supercoupe with a little added boost could easily get in the 13s or lower.
    The SHOs were 14 second cars on a good day

Yes the E34 M5 had a 1/4 mile time of 13.3 @ 108mph
    oh and it looks a HELL of a lot better than any F-body out of the 80s/90s,
    [​IMG]

The only other 1st Gen S-10 the GM made that I think was worth a shit besides the Syclone/Typhoon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Kinda funny though, since the Ford Ranger still is relevant in off-road racing and I don't know of anyone ever racing an S-10 :hide