Kawi Versys Crash

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by killerkeith, Apr 5, 2012.

1. BRAAAP

BRAAAP Lil' RC!

Oddometer:
    AH! im so sorry! i hope your okay!

sexy bike, and im sure insurance will help it get back to good shape! :D
  2. atokad

atokad wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer:
    That Sux. Had a neighbor go down turning a corner recently. Slow speed, just slipped like there was ice and down he went.

Turned out to not be oil, frost, ice, or sand. Turned out to be gasoline. A little dab will do you, that stuff is slick! I didn't study your video but I thought I did see some dark spots on the road, and I noticed the right hand action in conjunction with the rear of the bike ....

One last thought, were there any oil, gas spots where you started out in your driveway between the cars that were parked there?
  3. gvee

gvee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My front end slid out twice on me on the Brooklyn Bridge while breaking in the rain as I was cut off.

I didn't go down but I think the factory tires needed replacing (after 6K miles or so)with something stickier. Bike felt top heavy to me so I sold it.

I like a lower center of gravity I guess. To much time on my Burgman 650!
  4. rustynut2

rustynut2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you're ok.
    Has the kickstand switch been bypassed, looks like it might have been down. Just a guess, it wasn't the manhole cover.
  5. ray h

ray h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree that it wasnt the manhole cover. I couldnt see the kickstand but it sure does look like the backend of the bike kicked out first and you were starting the left hand turn. Could possibly be the kickstand. Could something have gotten caught in your rear wheel or jambed up your rear tire somehow? Sure looks like the rear end suddenly kicked up and out, didnt look smooth like a simple slide out.
    Yeah, after watching it a few times it sure looks like something suddenly caught that caused the rear to slide out.
  6. paddlesat16

paddlesat16 n00b

Oddometer:
    Sorry to see you crash buddy, literally a couple of seconds and the back end kicks out and throws you down the road. I'm glad your ok, just the bike a little battle scarred.

Is your street paved with concrete and is it smooth? It would take only a minute amount of grease/oil/diesel(gas oil) to throw you on a smooth surface. Especially as you put the power down in first/second gear. Just my thoughts

Ride safe

Regards
  7. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Hey! Watch this...

Oddometer:
    :confused:confused:confused

Damn, that happened quick. Dead sexy Kawi. Good luck.
  8. Bollocks

Bollocks Farts with an Accent™

Oddometer:
  9. mikem9

mikem9 Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Glad you are OK. Thanks for sharing. It happens so fast. You've mentioned throttle. It does sound like the throttle rev'd up and the back end slid out. That ground also looks slick when the bike slides. Slid like it was on ice.
  10. Wuwei

Wuwei Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is the OP sure the kickstand wasn't down? Looks like the rear end kicked out first on the video.
  11. urbanXJ

urbanXJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    the versys will not let you get in gear with the motor on and the stand down (at least mine won't)

I was thinking maybe he just waxed his chain and got the spray all over the rear tire.

That has happened to me and it was close.
  12. Wuwei

Wuwei Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some folks disable the kickstand interlock, and I agree on the chain lube.
  13. dashredder

dashredder Just go.

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that was jacked. Had to be some other (slippery) forces at work on that one.

Glad your not hurt.