Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    I'll take a stab at this one.

Create a route in Basecamp, and convert it to a track.
    Transfer both the route and the track to the Montana.
    When using the Montana, select the track to "Show on Map" and select the track color of your choice.
    Navigate using the route, with routing in a color different than that of the track.
    The route should show on top of the track.
  2. NCD

NCD Dirty Hairy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I like having the Zumo-type stuff like arrival time, distance to next turn, etc - - but trust tracks better. To have the two together would be bliss!
  3. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    If you double click on the new route name where it is shown in the list contents on the left side of the screen, a route detail window will come up showing the incremental and total distances among all the rest of the details about the route. That will be updated as you continue creating the route.
  4. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are also both horizontal so will be different than odo if going up or sown steep hills.
  5. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Of course if you were using the Mac version of BaseCamp the Total Milage of the Route you are creating will be displayed on the Status Bar at the bottom of the window. It's updated as you develop the route. :evil

Cheers,
  6. DrtSqtr

DrtSqtr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good day all,
    So i have been having an issue with my Montana 600 not showing street, highway or interstate names or only showing a few at a time.... Ive went through all the settings, reset , changed detail, ect ect.... per all the suggestions of everyone here. I got off the phone with Garmin this morning and we did a master reset and i re installed CN2013 woohoo it worked... (for 15 feet). Ablout 45 min later i took my newly installed 600 and tried it out in the car on a trip into town... Crap back to no info.... so while i contemplated on selling this POS I stopped for a quick bite to eat and i thought lets try it not in the rugged mount. Took it out of car mount and turned it on....... perfect all the names appear as they should. I see street names highway names and interstate names, great at least now i know where i am.... I popped it into the rugged mount and BAM!!! names disappeared..... Came home did same experiment on my motorcycle rugged mount same thing.... works great in my hand, put it into the rugged mount and i loose all map info. I called back Garmin explained to them the issue and they said he'd research this issue and get back to me... SOOOO right when i was all fed up with this GSP i discovered its not that bad now to only figure out how to make it work in the mount. Just thought id share my woes.....
  7. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    While you are waiting for Garmin to get back to you, try going to Setup->Profiles->Options->Set Mount Profiles. Make sure you have the unit out of the mount and then set all of the Mounts to whatever you have set for "Not Mounted".

Cheers,
  8. DrtSqtr

DrtSqtr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you.... I checked and all profile mount were set to No Change...

9. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    dumb question ... how does one input a GPS coordinate?

from where to: coordinates doesn't allow change

did a master reset... still cannot change coordinates.

Montana instruction manual is no help...

OK... what am I doing wrong?
  10. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Mark Waypoint/Edit and put in the coordinates you want.

[​IMG]
  11. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    already tried that... marked waypoint, then waypoint manager... will not allow editing of coordinates.

is there a separate edit button? where?
  12. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    When you select Mark Waypoint, the next screen is Save or Edit. Going from memory here, so check it on yours. My Montana is sleeping. :lol3
  13. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks already tried that... will not let me change coordinates.

example ... need 35 79... allows edit for first two digits, then will not allow edit for third digit or forth
  14. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    When you select Edit Waypoint, if you click anywhere in the address it brings up a menu at the top which allows you to go to any part of the address and change that.
  15. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    By the way, what version of software do you have loaded?

Couple more questions...

1. You went to Where To?->Coordinates, and you cannot edit the coordinates shown in the window? If the answer to that question is "Yes" you should call Garmin Product Support.

2. Waypoint Manager: you saved a Waypoint then opened Waypoint Manager, selected a waypoint, pressed the Coordinate field and were unable to edit the coordinates? If the answer to that question is also "Yes", call Garmin Product Support.

3. Waypoint Manager: Select a waypoint. Press the Options button, select Move Waypoint. Are you able to move the waypoint by selecting a new position on the map? If the answer to that question is "No", call Garmin Product Support.

Cheers,
  16. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I wasn't explicit. I was suggesting that you change the "Not Mounted" to the Profile you use. Then leave the rest as "No Change".

Cheers,
  17. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    cannot edit coordinates in all three above scenarios.

just downloaded the latest version 4.60 and a master reset trying to resolve this issue. Looks like I'll be contacting Garmin tomorrow.

this Montana has been a major pain in the ass from day one.
  18. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just had this same realization myself today. I was doing some other non-related testing and noticed all the street names were visible again... Went out and snapped it into my Automotive Cradle, and they were all gone!

My first thought is Garmin software engineers wanted to simplify the map while navigating to prevent driver/rider distraction trying to read all map detail.

Will contact Garmin for more information.
  19. atreiou

atreiou XR 650R Rider

Oddometer:
    sorry for the images dimensions
    the GPS on that position have no protection, in desert riding I prefer to protect it against rocks or something else..

20. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Could you be more specific as to when (what zoom level) you loose Street Names? Are you using CN 2013.20?

I'm not having this same condition. I even set my Mount Profiles to switch from mount to mount (although I don't have an Automotive Mount) and Powered to non-Powered. It all worked just fine with no map changes.

Well, I did a little more investigation and the culprit seems to be the Recreation Profile - at least I know that one causes the issue - and maybe it's by design. I haven't tried the other profiles but I have based my 'custom Profiles" off of the Automotive Profile and it does not exhibit this condition.

Cheers,