2014 Yamaha Triple: FZ-09 / MT-09

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Paulvt1, May 31, 2013.

1. Vicsplorer

Vicsplorer Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. DFH

DFH 270 deg crank

Oddometer:
    Thats just so silly. Do you think the MV Agusta Brutale 800 is a Tiger 800 rather than a Street Triple R competitor as well?
  3. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Makes me wonder if the Street Triple will get a displacement bump any time soon.
  4. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    if it works for you but the reality is neither match very well as a "competitor".

apples. oranges.
  5. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, there's not much competition in that area..:puke1

[​IMG]
  6. CAW

CAW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]. Huh????

[​IMG]. Oh I get it.

But really, huh? I would only ride the xs750 with ABS.
  7. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
    New generation Yamaha
    Yamaha Europe’s senior vice-president Seiya Nakamura adds “We have been a bit too conservative with our new models in the past few years. We decided to turn that around. We’re gonna bring more innovative and special concepts in the market again, like Yamaha used to do so often in the past.”

He continues to reveal his strategy: “We want to bring a new generation of models that have a more clear character, and that are dramatically lighter. You know, nowadays, going with high speeds is not done anymore. Our models should not need high speed to be attractive. We want to dramatically improve the riding feeling, so you can enjoy it always, so that even commuting and city riding is fun!”

Three cylinder strategy
    His collegue Naoki Koike explains how they re-thought the engine strategy: “In the past we focused on four-cylinders in the 600 and 800 classes because they offered accessible performance. Easy to ride, smooth, and when you need the power you can rev them high. But today, we want to offer more excitement without a high-revving engine. We want engines with immediately available torque. That is where triple engines could give an advantage to four-cylinders in this cc range.”

Actually Yamaha has quite an experience with three cylinder engines. Some examples?
    The formidable ‘High Output’ 1049cc snowmobile engines of today
    The dependable and reliable 747cc outboard engines F30/F40
    The famous XS 750 and 850 motorcycles of the ‘70s.

Oliver states: “In the current ‘lower speed’ riding conditions it has become difficult to fully exploit the advantage of the P4 (parallel-four) engines. And as general engine performance levels are quite enough for real life use, we rather focused on controllability and character of the engine. That’s why we have the crossplane crankshaft on the R1, with its special sound and its ‘clean torque’ that gives excellent feel for controlling the rear wheel. The MT-09 engine also delivers ‘clean torque’. Its character and feel is similar to the crossplane P4 but of course the power is produced in a different way with the P3 layout engine.”

Riding
    “I was a bit sceptic at first” confesses test rider Jeffry de Vries. “I was convinced we had a good 4-cylinder with the FZ8 engine. But once you’ve ridden this triple, you realize that wow, this is much more interesting to ride. The character, the sound, the way the power is delivered.”
    Seiya adds: “People who ride it are very surprised. It is the same magnitude as how people were surprised after riding the first R1 when it came out!”

Want to find out more about the MT-09? Read our other story:
    MT-09: Details behind its development

From here:
    http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/designcafe/en/index.aspx?view=article&id=538908
  8. cosmic

cosmic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In my opinion looks bertter then the Triumph.

©
  9. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I always liked the dual, round, chrome headlights on the speed/street, but the new generation pod things are nasty.
  12. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

Those things were huge piles of junk. That's why Yamaha had to let 30 years go by before they tried another, they were hoping people had forgotten about those early bikes.
  13. cosmic

cosmic Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Oh boy... Big Mac blinkers again.

First mod...

[​IMG]

©
  14. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's more to a great bike then displacement. You do know the MV Agusta triple is now an 800.....

It'll be interesting to see the results of the "triple shoot out" when the writers finally get their hands on this one.

Regards, Paul
  15. MCGMB

MCGMB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Southwade, nice find on that statement from Yamaha.:clap

What they're saying makes complete sense. I hope the market agrees.:D

And that front-view close-up of the headlight looks surprisingly good. In fact, the more I look at the bike, the more I like it's styling overall. Clean. No hangnails on the overall look (to my eye), unlike others I've seen.
  16. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No kidding. All the "Special" Yamaha's were horrid. The XS 650 standard was a really neat bike. I was looking for one a while back. All I could find in Craigslist was the damned "Special" variety, which essentially ruined the lines of the bike and gave them crappy riding positions.
  17. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    Only just noticed those air-scoops on the sides of the tank; styling nod to the Vmax?
  18. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
    I dunno... quite a few 'naked' bike have those. My Z1000 does, for example.
  19. basque

basque Infidel

Oddometer:
  20. Scaredofthedirt

Scaredofthedirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    C'mon Mr Triumph it is well past time for a new approach to the Speed/Street Triple head lights. The twin light set up has progressed from iconic to historic.

Back to the Yam, a deliberate strategy for streetbikes away from racetrack rockets to FUN on the street :clap

Never owned a Yam, yet....but it would have to be something special to out FUN my KTM 950 Supermoto :evil