KLR 650 Modifications

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by VascoMerlin, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Gammason

Gammason 08 Vespa GTS 250ie, and 02 KTM Duke II 640

Oddometer:
    That's great looking Yokomo - Any info on how to do this? Thanks! BTW, my bike is Blue and it'd complement nicely...
  2. Snownut

Snownut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe there are enough irregularities in the factory springs its worth doing.. My 09 had 5000 miles and the pressure and horror stories finally got to my nerves to I changed mine out and went to the torsion spring.. My factory doo was fine and there was plenty of tension on my spring.. The way people were talking I was expecting at 5000 miles to see a broken spring. Eagle Mikes doo is much better quality and the torsion spring was an easy install.. Mike is awesome to work with as well. I opened my box and he had included carb and master cylinder upgrade screws, a tamper resistant oil fill cap, and a bushing in case mine was missing. Excellent experience working with him and quality tools as well..
  3. Yokomo

Yokomo Trials & Enduro Rider

Oddometer:
    You can order the LED's from many places. You only need 3 - #194 to light up the odo, speedo, temp gauges. I ordered a pack of 10 off ebay.
    All you have to do is remove the windshield and you can replace the 3 lightbulbs. Very easy. If you have any questions you can PM me.
    Thanks!
  4. EOD3MC

EOD3MC What will break next

Oddometer:
    I changed my Doo at about 2500 miles on my 09...
    Doo was good, "spring-y" part of spring was fine...
    But, the end hooks of spring were bent out so there was actually not tension from the spring...

Replaced with Eagle Mike's torsion spring...no known issues and I should be rolling 50K on the clock this week...:D
    petew likes this.
  5. MSrider

MSrider Rebel with a sixfiddy

Oddometer:
    I call BS. There's not been one KLR that I have opened up that wasn't either broken, or the spring had no tension. Including 08 and 09 year models. So, yes, you do need to replace the tension adjusting cam and spring with Eagle parts
    :deal good post
    petew likes this.
  6. Jettn Jim

Jettn Jim This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer:
    NE PA Some... PNW Some... On HIGH ADVENTURE Most!
    Works good man.... Elevation depends.... I tweak it to keep the idle at it's highest possible rpm. Leaner up high and a bit richer when I get back down.... I'm in much tighter than most folks... 1/2-1 turn out is all....3/4 most of the time. Simply nice to be able to tweak the tuneup so easy... :wink:
  7. #1Fan

#1Fan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, I'm doin' the doo!
  8. PacificPT

PacificPT Long timer

Oddometer:
    jettinJim,

Thanks for the reply, I have seen some people had them on the bikes but never heard from anyone about whether or not they felt it was a worthwhile modification. What vendor did you pick yours up from?
  9. RevBill

RevBill Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer:
    .. not yet .. been meaning to get one and post it up but been to lazy to just get it done .. I'll get out there tonight and get it snapped ..

Edit .. didn't get my pics to show up as well as yours .. but here it is in red .. no white bleed out around the odo and such ..

[​IMG]
    .. and with the neutral light for an idea of the brightness ..
    [​IMG]

10. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    I too have the thumb screw pilot screw, it is very nice to get the bike tuned in correctly. But, to be honest, I rarely touch mine afterwards.....but the ease of being able to turn that stupid little pilot screw without it, makes it worth it's weight in gold, well almost! It is an expensive little bugger....nut.....
    I got mine from John's cycle.....google it and I'm sure you will find it.

http://www.johnsmotorcycleparts.com/

I'm feeling generous today....lol

It fits and works excellently!:freaky
  11. jasonfb123

jasonfb123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So my stock aluminum rack was looking beat up

Attached Files:

12. jasonfb123

jasonfb123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a can of Plastic Dip Spray and this is what happend. It is still beat up but at least it is one color and all grippy. I'll let you know if it comes off too easy.

Attached Files:

13. jasonfb123

jasonfb123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here it is with the box back on.

Attached Files:

14. PacificPT

PacificPT Long timer

Oddometer:
    JettinJim and Willeys,

Thanks for posting up replies, will have to get one on order, living at 47' above sea level I want the bike to run well here, and be able to get over the Sierra passes without undue strain.
  15. Jettn Jim

Jettn Jim This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer:
    NE PA Some... PNW Some... On HIGH ADVENTURE Most!
    Nooo problem man.... it's only gonna help you at idle till just off... you may wanna open up the airbox side door if she starts running rich and doggy up high. But that said you should be good with your jetting up to 6-7,000ft easy if your lean and mean now at sea level, then opening the box will lean you out just fine..... albeit noisy!
  16. tim007

tim007 Banned

Oddometer:
    arg i sold my klr :( but i gained a vw w8 :) so for now im out and ill will catch you all on the flip side untill i buy another one
  17. PacificPT

PacificPT Long timer

Oddometer:
    JettinJim,

I have been thinking about putting a removable plug on the side of the airbox to do just that. Leave it in down here, and pop it off and put in a saddlebag when up at higher elevation.
  18. Yokomo

Yokomo Trials & Enduro Rider

Oddometer:
    Pic looks great RevBill
  19. RevBill

RevBill Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer:
    .. looking at yours again .. are your "idiot lights" (neut/turn/hi-beam/oil) also the #194s? .. I just noticed your Neutral lamp looks blue also .. or is that your high-beam?? ..

.. I also really like the cluster on the newer models .. easier to read for my old eyes ..
  20. Mala Suerte

Mala Suerte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna give 'em a call tomorrow. I just asked Eagle Mike to give me a price on a 688 kit, boring, shipping, etc. See how Carl's price compares.