Iowa Roll Call

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by bellbear, Jul 29, 2008.

1. J. Thompson #5150

J. Thompson #5150 300-pound Gorilla

Oddometer:
    600 acres is a popular spot. There's several around the state, just most of them are an hour or so away.
  2. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are limited in Central Iowa. Pretty much straight, flat, boring gravel with some level B's thrown in (similar to here in CR) NE, IA has the best riding in the state hands down. The Parks are cool also, just require a permit and if that is all you want to play in, then get a true dirty bike and not a dual sport. My $0.02

600 acres is near CR, there are others closer to the DM area.

http://www.iowaohv.com/
  3. firebrick

firebrick Long timer

Oddometer:
    not looking at a true dirt bike, would like to be able to ride from my house to wherever. guess we are limited in options except for gravel roads, lots of those around here.
  4. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I enjoy just going out and tooling around on gravel and that is what I enjoy. The rough stuff is fun, but on a 600+cc bike it gets old after a full day. It's all about what you like. I have had a few dual sports and liked them all for different reasons. Good luck on your search for that bike :)
  5. sporthog93

sporthog93 Sporthog93 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Vintage swap meet at Davenport laborday weekend. Anyone going?? I'll have a vendor spot near the pavilion/restroom on the west end.
    Stop and introduce yourself. I have a couple of Honda dreams and a KT 250 Kawasaki trials to sell.
    Bill
  6. firebrick

firebrick Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. rj95lss

rj95lss still searching...

Oddometer:
    That KLR is the same as buying a 2007. They really only made a few changes between the 1987 and the 2007.

I sold a '05 with just about the same amount of goodies as that one for $2,800 this year - i think mine had about 10k miles on it. If you are looking at KLR's I wouldn't worry about miles (under 15k). They are terminators, cheap parts, easy to work on, and will last forever.

The downside would be that it is way under powered, heavy as hell in the dirt, not much fun on the highway, and have weak suspension/brakes.

But if you are looking for a bike that gets good gas mileage, can cruise at 55mph on the highway, can do gravel roads, can carry all your gear, is reliable, and is a cheap way to get into ADV riding - then the KLR would probably be your best choice.

If you are going to do very little off of the pavement and would like to go down i35/i80 then get something bigger or if you are barely going to ever see the pavement then get something lighter with better suspension.

All and all for what it is... The KLR is a great bike... You will find that most of us who are into enduro/ADV riding will have had a KLR at one point (until they figured out which style of rider they really are).

The KLR is OK at everything but not the best at anything...
  8. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a fair price and I bet $2700 could take it home.

I had almost 20K on my 05 and sold it a couple years ago for $2700.....and I do not miss that bike at all. Rock solid and simple to maintain, but a slug of a bike that had limited grin factor. I rode it from KC to Topeka a lot on the interstate and it did great, gravel was just fine also. They just don't make me grin anymore, I needed more performance. Got a KTM640, now a Husky 610 and am very happy with what I have now, but I ride it WAY less :cry
  9. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Smelly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anybody going to the central rally next week?
  10. El Guero

El Guero Long timer

Oddometer:
    Didn't know that was next week... Doesn't matter, classes start on Monday for me :puke1

I got the Magna up and running again last night and I'm thinking of running it up to the museum tomorrow. Anybody want to be a chase vehicle? :lol3
  11. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll be camping/drinking all weekend with my phone off. :1drink
  12. El Guero

El Guero Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl Sounds like a plan. I may take the ST over to the Baxter Triumph open house instead.
  13. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where is this? God I miss my Sprint!
  14. El Guero

El Guero Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. Footprint

Footprint Rat race Dreamer

Oddometer:
  16. El Guero

El Guero Long timer

Oddometer:
    My problem with the ride there is that I80 is the only way to go... Other roads will be too slow and I doubt there is much to see anyways.
  17. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ahh My neighbors wife is from Atlantic and he always tells me this place will sell him a speed triple for $4500 new....yeah he is that kinda story teller.
  18. El Guero

El Guero Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think they have pretty good prices, especially since everything there is a demo bike. Not that good though :rofl
  19. rj95lss

rj95lss still searching...

Oddometer:
    They have an amazing collection of vintage bikes for sale. I want one of the those Norton 850 Commando's.
  20. YZFBogie

YZFBogie Two Wheels Forever!

Oddometer:
    Moto GP Races in Indy next weekend!!! :evil

Anyone else gonna be there?? :freaky